Some electrical outlets not working

Old November 18th 10, 11:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair
al

Default Some electrical outlets not working

Some of the outlets in my house stopped working. Outlets on
individual walls in different rooms work while others don't. They are
associated with different fuses, but the fuses are okay. I double
checked them by replacing them anyway and affected outlets still don't
work. Any idea what would cause this?

Old November 18th 10, 11:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"al" wrote in message
Some of the outlets in my house stopped working. Outlets on
individual walls in different rooms work while others don't. They are
associated with different fuses, but the fuses are okay. I double
checked them by replacing them anyway and affected outlets still don't
work. Any idea what would cause this?

It could be that you have an open neutral on an Edison circuit. Check to see
if the hot leg is good at the "dead" outlets. If so, look for a common
location outlet where the neutral splits off, possibly in a back stabbed
outlet.

Old November 18th 10, 12:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"al" wrote in message
Some of the outlets in my house stopped working. Outlets on
individual walls in different rooms work while others don't. They are
associated with different fuses, but the fuses are okay. I double
checked them by replacing them anyway and affected outlets still don't
work. Any idea what would cause this?

Another possibility is that the dead outlets are controlled by wall switches

Old November 18th 10, 12:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair
al

On Nov 18, 7:03*am, "RBM" wrote:
"al" wrote in message

Some of the outlets in my house stopped working. *Outlets on
individual walls in different rooms work while others don't. *They are
associated with different fuses, but the fuses are okay. *I double
checked them by replacing them anyway and affected outlets still don't
work. *Any idea what would cause this?

Another possibility is that the dead outlets are controlled by wall switches

None of the outlets is controlled by wall switches.

However, the lights on those affected locations just came on. I wish
I could say that I did something to make that happen, but I wasn't
doing anything but sitting reading the paper.
Old November 18th 10, 12:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"al" wrote in message
On Nov 18, 7:03 am, "RBM" wrote:
"al" wrote in message

Some of the outlets in my house stopped working. Outlets on
individual walls in different rooms work while others don't. They are
associated with different fuses, but the fuses are okay. I double
checked them by replacing them anyway and affected outlets still don't
work. Any idea what would cause this?

Another possibility is that the dead outlets are controlled by wall
switches

None of the outlets is controlled by wall switches.

However, the lights on those affected locations just came on. I wish
I could say that I did something to make that happen, but I wasn't
doing anything but sitting reading the paper.

Sounds like you have a loose connection somewhere in the circuit. I would
tap with the back of my hand on each of the affected outlets and see if the
tapping causes the lights to flicker or go out again. If it does, the
location where you tapped is where the loose connection is. One thing you
can be sure of, it will occur again.

Old November 18th 10, 02:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 7:26*am, "RBM" wrote:
"al" wrote in message

On Nov 18, 7:03 am, "RBM" wrote:

[...]

Also possible that one hot leg of his service is intermittent and he's
losing power to the circuits on that side.
Old November 19th 10, 02:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair

The case of the Mysterious Ghostly Backstabbed Outlets.
By A. Conan Doyle.

A couple friends of mine had that happen. They insisted
I didn't need to take "that" outlet apart, cause it worked
just fine. I had a hard time explaining.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

It can be a bad connection on the last outlet that works
(outgoing side)
Plug a radio with the volume all the way up in a non-working
outlet and bang on the ones nearby. When you hear the radio
squawk you found it.

Old November 19th 10, 10:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair
al

On Nov 18, 11:05*pm, wrote:

You can break that tie real quick, does the dryer get hot (or some
other 240v appliance)?

Neither the dryer nor the hot water heater is heating and the
microwave is worthless.