What is max service temperature of GE Silicone II sealant caulking?

Old November 6th 10, 11:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default What is max service temperature of GE Silicone II sealant caulking?

I'm looking for some high-temperature sealant / caulking to use on my
furnace (instead of using duct tape or aluminized tape). This is for
seams in the usual places where air tends to leak out of the duct work
and where the furnace connects to the ducts. This is not for the flue.

I expect the max temperature to be around 200C, and mostly between 50C
and 100C.

I was searching the net for specs on GE's various sealant products, but
can't find very much about max service temperature.

Here's an example of what I can buy at home depot (Canada):

http://tinyurl.com/2baqhwj

This might be different than what's available in the USA (perhaps only
the label is different, or maybe the formulation is different - I don't
know).

Home Depot in Canada doesn't sell a caulking / sealant product that's
specifically labeled as "high temperature", or furnace, stove or HVAC
duct use.

What I did find at HD is 3 different 3M caulk products, labelled
variously as "Fire Barrier" Sealant IC 15WB (and two others that had a
similar application). These are designed or marketed as sealants that
are applied in drywall seams and around pipes and wires as they pass
through walls (drywall, brick, cement, etc) and I guess they're meant to
contain fire or smoke for maybe an hour or two. I did find on-line
cheps for one of them - and it had a paltry max service temperature of
48C.

I imagine that a job-shop HVAC supplier would probably have high-temp
caulking, but I'm just curious if something like the GE Silicone II
would do just as well (200C really isin't high-temp).
Old November 6th 10, 11:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On 11/6/2010 6:11 PM, Sum Guy wrote:
[...]

I used a clear silicone, think it was the type I, to seal around glass
doors on fire place. Holds up well.
Old November 6th 10, 11:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"A. Baum" wrote:

Well considering your hight temp cut off is around 90c I would
work with that figure.

There are seams that run close to where the flue exits the furnace that
will quite likely exceed 100C for extended periods.
Old November 6th 10, 11:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Sum Guy wrote in :

[...]

go to any auto parts store and buy the High-temp gasket stuff made by
Permatex. It will tell you on the package it's max temp ratings.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old November 6th 10, 11:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Sum Guy wrote:
"A. Baum" wrote:

Well considering your hight temp cut off is around 90c I would
work with that figure.

There are seams that run close to where the flue exits the furnace that
will quite likely exceed 100C for extended periods.

I have seen 400-500 degree celcius mentioned for
silicon and you can sort of verify that with a
soldering iron.
That should not make it melt down.
At higher temps it turns into a white powder, without
melting, and starts smouldering..
Old November 7th 10, 12:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Joe

On Nov 6, 5:11*pm, Sum Guy wrote:
[...]

Years ago GE made a silicone sealant with red iron oxide filler that
was rated for high temperature service. IIRC, there are still versions
of this material available in auto parts stores and perhaps industrial
supply houses. Silicone II in my experience is not a very good product
compared to the the original types.

Joe
Old November 7th 10, 12:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On 11/6/2010 5:11 PM, Sum Guy wrote:
[...]

Industrial and commercial cooking equipment supply houses sell high temp
silicone sealant. What I have used is red in color it will handle up to
500F. Look at Dow Corning 736.

http://www.dowcorning.com/content/pu...it/80-3258.pdf

TDD

Old November 7th 10, 01:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Nov 6, 5:11*pm, Sum Guy wrote:
[...]

Buy the Duct oastic sealer made for that job, its in gallon tubs and
costs 1/5th to 1/3rd what silicone costs. The work is done every day
by pros and they dont use expensive silicone. This stuff you just use
a putty knife and it goes fast.
Old November 7th 10, 01:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

ransley wrote:

Buy the Duct oastic sealer made for that job, its in gallon tubs
and costs 1/5th to 1/3rd what silicone costs.

Is it available in Canada?

Is it sold at retail, over the counter, at a place that's open past 5 pm
weekdays or open saturday?

Is it sold at only one place in my city, clear across town in industrial
east end?

Or did you factor in any of that criteria?
Old November 7th 10, 01:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

I'd still just like to know how the home-owner-grade silicone caulking
sold at the big-box stores would stand up to extended exposure to high
temperatures.

According to this:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/GE-...H03?Pid=search

Grainger is listing the temp range of that product as being -65f to
400f. It appears to be the same product as this:

http://tinyurl.com/2baqhwj

But I would love to track down an actual GE technical spec sheet for it.