Looking For Discontinued Tile - Westminster F100

Old November 4th 10, 12:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking For Discontinued Tile - Westminster F100

F100- Bright White Glossy 4"

Well, wasn't I surprised to go looking for some replacement tiles and find
that they had shuttered their doors in 2008.

Is there a cottage industry in discontinued tile and/or a clearinghouse
website for selling/buying odd lots of (discontinued) ceramic tile?

I am in Southern California and have made a few calls with no luck. Any
suggestions? Thanks

Old November 4th 10, 01:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 5:45*pm, "Larry B." wrote:
F100- Bright White Glossy 4"

Well, wasn't I surprised to go looking for some replacement tiles and find
that they had shuttered their doors in 2008.

Is there a cottage industry in discontinued tile and/or a clearinghouse
website for selling/buying odd lots of (discontinued) ceramic tile?

I am in Southern California and have made a few calls with no luck. Any
suggestions? Thanks

There was this company that used to stock discontinued tiles but that
was twenty years ago. I donít know if they still do or even if the
owner is still alive but here it is:

WILSHIRE TILE INC
5531 VENICE BLVD
LOS ANGELES, CA 90019

Old November 4th 10, 01:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 5:45 pm, "Larry B." wrote:

F100- Bright White Glossy 4"

Well, wasn't I surprised to go looking for some replacement tiles and find
that they had shuttered their doors in 2008.

Is there a cottage industry in discontinued tile and/or a clearinghouse
website for selling/buying odd lots of (discontinued) ceramic tile?

I am in Southern California and have made a few calls with no luck. Any
suggestions? Thanks

There was this company that used to stock discontinued tiles but that
was twenty years ago. I donít know if they still do or even if the
owner is still alive but here it is:

WILSHIRE TILE INC
5531 VENICE BLVD
LOS ANGELES, CA 90019

They used to be on 5862 West Third Street, LA, CA 90036.
Old November 4th 10, 02:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Larry B." wrote in message

F100- Bright White Glossy 4"
Well, wasn't I surprised to go looking for some replacement tiles and find
that they had shuttered their doors in 2008.

Is there a cottage industry in discontinued tile and/or a clearinghouse
website for selling/buying odd lots of (discontinued) ceramic tile?

In this country tiling was/is almost an Italian speciality, i.e. most
skilled tilers are immigrants or the children of immigrants; and
long-established tiling businesses both store away stocks of
discontinued lines and can provide expert help about the best
way to adapt to unavailability of the type you want.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old November 4th 10, 02:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 8:45*pm, "Larry B." wrote:
F100- Bright White Glossy 4"

Well, wasn't I surprised to go looking for some replacement tiles and find
that they had shuttered their doors in 2008.

Is there a cottage industry in discontinued tile and/or a clearinghouse
website for selling/buying odd lots of (discontinued) ceramic tile?

I am in Southern California and have made a few calls with no luck. Any
suggestions? Thanks

How many do you need? Have you taken a piece into some tile outlets
to see if you can get close? I'm thinking there are a lot of 4"
glossy white tiles out there. Depending on where the tile is you may
be able to find something close enough.

I find that what I see as flaws in homes is generally overlooked by
98% of the world. Tiling is one of those things. I take great pains
to try to achieve a uniform gap and straight lines in my tiling jobs.
I freqeuntly see other tiled spaces that just look shoddy to me but no
one else seems to notice.

Old November 6th 10, 04:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking For Discontinued Tile - Westminster F100- POST from Jamesgangnc

Someone replied to this post but my newsreader does not show it for some odd
reason. I found it in Google search. So, here it is again with my response.

From Jamesgangnc:

How many do you need? Have you taken a piece into some tile outlets
to see if you can get close? I'm thinking there are a lot of 4"
glossy white tiles out there. Depending on where the tile is you may
be able to find something close enough.

I find that what I see as flaws in homes is generally overlooked by
98% of the world. Tiling is one of those things. I take great pains
to try to achieve a uniform gap and straight lines in my tiling jobs.
I freqeuntly see other tiled spaces that just look shoddy to me but no
one else seems to notice.

My response:

This tile has a unique undulating surface so they are not typical white
tiles. Everyone I have called says that they have nothing like it. I need 12
v-caps and 4 end caps. However, my quest is nationwide and I have found some
6" v-caps. It has been suggested that I cut the 6" down to 4" but won't that
leave me with a weird edge that will always be getting dirty or chipped?

Old November 8th 10, 03:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Larry B wrote:
Someone replied to this post but my newsreader does not show it for
some odd reason. I found it in Google search. So, here it is again
with my response.
From Jamesgangnc:

[...]

depends upon how you cut it. with a good blade in a diamond wet saw, it'll
be a straight cut with little to no chipping. you can smooth it off using a
diamond bit in a stained glass grinder. if you have a s.g. shop that teaches
nearby ask to rent a few minutes on a grinder. use a well-used grinder,
which will have the smoothest bit.

Old November 22nd 10, 09:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I have made calls all over the country but there is apparently no 4" to be
had. Hard to believe but I guess 2 years is past the statute of limitations
on availability.

I think that I will just try to epoxy the small chips so that we have fewer
to replace.

Thanks, Larry

"Larry B" wrote in message
m...
Someone replied to this post but my newsreader does not show it for some
odd reason. I found it in Google search. So, here it is again with my
response.

From Jamesgangnc:

"Larry B." wrote in message
F100- Bright White Glossy 4"

Well, wasn't I surprised to go looking for some replacement tiles and
find that they had shuttered their doors in 2008.

Is there a cottage industry in discontinued tile and/or a clearinghouse
website for selling/buying odd lots of (discontinued) ceramic tile?

I am in Southern California and have made a few calls with no luck. Any
suggestions? Thanks

Totally OT '65 Ford F100 question Larry Jaques Metalworking 0 November 28th 09 05:40 PM
DENON DVD F100 Brasto Electronics Repair 0 December 9th 08 02:22 PM
wanted B&Q discontinued ceramic floor tile fusion brick (GREY) Mike Myers UK diy 1 April 2nd 06 07:46 PM
Westminster, Md. mm Home Repair 3 February 21st 06 01:37 AM
Source for discontinued Armstrong ceiling tile? SQLit Home Repair 0 July 25th 05 05:49 PM