Posted to alt.home.repair

Default new roof

I need a new roof, just wondering if this a good time to to replace a roof,
I live in Wisconsin the weather is starting to get cold, I'm thinking the
shingles wont seal very good because of the cold, it would have to be a tear
off because this is the second layer of shingles, or should just wait until
next spring, we had some very high winds and lost some shingles, this roof
has been on 26 yrs. ?? Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"pacca" wrote:

I need a new roof, just wondering if this a good time to to replace a roof,
I live in Wisconsin the weather is starting to get cold, I'm thinking the
shingles wont seal very good because of the cold, it would have to be a tear
off because this is the second layer of shingles, or should just wait until
next spring, we had some very high winds and lost some shingles, this roof
has been on 26 yrs. ?? Thanks

Wisconsin, where I grew up, is a big state. It ain't as cold as it used
to be, but there's still a big difference between Madison and Eau
Claire. Where I lived, we had snow by now, and it lasted all winter back
then. Not so anymore. Microclimate matters. Consult a local roofer and a
weather forecast for your area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 12:09*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*"pacca" wrote:
I need a new roof, just wondering if this a good time to to replace a roof,
I live in Wisconsin the weather is starting to get cold, I'm thinking the
shingles wont seal very good because of the cold, it would have to be a tear
off because this is the second layer of shingles, or should just wait until
next spring, we had some very high winds and lost some shingles, this roof
has been on 26 yrs. *?? *Thanks

Wisconsin, where I grew up, is a big state. It ain't as cold as it used
to be, but there's still a big difference between Madison and Eau
Claire. Where I lived, we had snow by now, and it lasted all winter back
then. Not so anymore. Microclimate matters. Consult a local roofer and a
weather forecast for your area.

I'd say it also depends on why you need a new roof. If it's just
that it's at the end of it's life, then you can wait. If it's
because it has multiple leaks, that's another story. I would think
shingle manufacturer's websites would have installation instructions
that would cover the issue from a sealing standpoint and that's where
I;d be looking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"pacca" wrote in
:

I need a new roof, just wondering if this a good time to to replace a
roof, I live in Wisconsin the weather is starting to get cold, I'm
thinking the shingles wont seal very good because of the cold, it
would have to be a tear off because this is the second layer of
shingles, or should just wait until next spring, we had some very high
winds and lost some shingles, this roof has been on 26 yrs. ??
Thanks

I am in Canada north of you. The year we were building our new house it
rained every second or third day all summer long. That slowed us down so we
couldn't shingle until late October. The weather got us again with a 12
inch snowfall 2 days before the shingles were delivered. I wasn't going to
leave it as bare plywood until spring so we shovelled off the snow and
shingled it. Been fine for 4 years now. The builders around here work year
round including roofing.

We used fiberglass shingles and they have stuck down just fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Reno wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

Hi,
Roofing job is done year round.
I had ceramic coated steel tiles(German product) installed in early
spring. Suppose to last ~100 years.
I am in Calgary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/28/2010 1:07 PM, wrote:
On Oct 28, 12:09 pm, Smitty wrote:
In ,

wrote:
[...]

IMHO, if you can get enough sunny dry days in a row, warm enough and
with the wind calm enough that the crew is willing to climb the ladders,
the temp doesn't matter much. Just like an asphalt driveway burns clear
and dry at ten degrees if the sun is shining, a few hours of sunlight
will get the shingles warm enough to seal okay. Of course, the crew
doesn't move as fast wearing winter gear, so it may take longer.
Hopefully, the roofer is hungry enough in winter to not jack to bid to
make up for the longer install time.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

pacca wrote:
I need a new roof, just wondering if this a good time to to replace a
roof, I live in Wisconsin the weather is starting to get cold, I'm
thinking the shingles wont seal very good because of the cold, it would
have to be a tear off because this is the second layer of shingles, or
should just wait until next spring, we had some very high winds and lost
some shingles, this roof has been on 26 yrs. ?? Thanks

Just have standing seam metal put over it all then forget about it.

--
LSMFT