OT - Heat output of oil lamp

Old October 23rd 10, 03:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Heat output of oil lamp

Wick type oil or "kerosene" lamps from Walmart or other places. They
put out some heat. But, how much?

Any idea how to figure out the BTU per hour? My thought is that they
burn about an ounce of oil an hour. More or less. So, on the web some
where has to be the heat content of lamp oil. Figure it out from
there.

If it's enough, then an oil lamp or two or more. Could be used for
heat when the power is off, or the propane tank is empty.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old October 23rd 10, 04:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 22:16:03 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Wick type oil or "kerosene" lamps from Walmart or other places. They
put out some heat. But, how much?

Any idea how to figure out the BTU per hour? My thought is that they
burn about an ounce of oil an hour. More or less. So, on the web some
where has to be the heat content of lamp oil. Figure it out from
there.

If it's enough, then an oil lamp or two or more. Could be used for
heat when the power is off, or the propane tank is empty.

A few votive candles will keep you from freezing to death. Even Tea
Lights, but they don't last as long.
Lamp oil is about 45Mj/kg. or roughly 43000 BTU per Kg
With a Specific Gravity of .82, 1Kg of Kero/lamp oil is .roughly a
quart - so figure 43000/32 = roughly 95 BTU/hour if your calculations
and mine are both close to real-world.
I believe a single wick candle is roughly 50 BTU, so I suspect your
consumption figure is a bit low, unless you are talking a pretty small
Kero lamp (1/4" wick, more or less?)

I just checked Vermont oil lamps, and they claim thair 1/2" wick lamps
consume roughly 1/2 ounce per hour - so a 1" wick should burn an ounce
an hour. Either my numbers for a candle are off or the heat value of
wax is a lot higher than kero - which is POSSIBLE, but liquid parrafin
puts out less LIGHT than kero in a wick lamp, so?????

Old October 23rd 10, 01:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Wick type oil or "kerosene" lamps from Walmart or other places. They
put out some heat. But, how much?

Any idea how to figure out the BTU per hour? My thought is that they
burn about an ounce of oil an hour. More or less. So, on the web some
where has to be the heat content of lamp oil. Figure it out from
there.

If it's enough, then an oil lamp or two or more. Could be used for
heat when the power is off, or the propane tank is empty.

A few votive candles will keep you from freezing to death.

I had a friend who lived in the woods for a while. On a cold night he
would light a few candles.

Even Tea
Lights, but they don't last as long.
Lamp oil is about 45Mj/kg. or roughly 43000 BTU per Kg
With a Specific Gravity of .82, 1Kg of Kero/lamp oil is .roughly a
quart - so figure 43000/32 = roughly 95 BTU/hour if your calculations
and mine are both close to real-world.
I believe a single wick candle is roughly 50 BTU, so I suspect your
consumption figure is a bit low, unless you are talking a pretty small
Kero lamp (1/4" wick, more or less?)

I just checked Vermont oil lamps, and they claim thair 1/2" wick lamps
consume roughly 1/2 ounce per hour - so a 1" wick should burn an ounce
an hour. Either my numbers for a candle are off or the heat value of
wax is a lot higher than kero - which is POSSIBLE, but liquid parrafin
puts out less LIGHT than kero in a wick lamp, so?????

I think, perhaps, one too many conversions in the calculations
somewhere. Ed's figure looks about right. In the neighborhood of 1000
BTUs/Hr for a standard oil lamp. Perhaps a bit less.

It may not be worth cleaning up the smoke and smudge.

Jeff

Old October 23rd 10, 01:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair

A few votive candles will keep you from freezing to death. Even Tea
Lights, but they don't last as long.

CY: The time in 2003 when the power was out, four days. My 11,000 BTU
per hour kerosene heater did some good, but it was still painfully
cold.

Lamp oil is about 45Mj/kg. or roughly 43000 BTU per Kg
With a Specific Gravity of .82, 1Kg of Kero/lamp oil is .roughly a
quart - so figure 43000/32 = roughly 95 BTU/hour if your calculations
and mine are both close to real-world.

CY: Yes, that sounds in the ball park. Close enough.

I believe a single wick candle is roughly 50 BTU, so I suspect your
consumption figure is a bit low, unless you are talking a pretty small
Kero lamp (1/4" wick, more or less?)

CY: About an ounce an hour was what I got with a lamp I tried. I can't
remember the wick width.

I just checked Vermont oil lamps, and they claim thair 1/2" wick lamps
consume roughly 1/2 ounce per hour - so a 1" wick should burn an ounce
an hour. Either my numbers for a candle are off or the heat value of
wax is a lot higher than kero - which is POSSIBLE, but liquid parrafin
puts out less LIGHT than kero in a wick lamp, so?????

CY: Still, it gives me a rough idea. I figured it was some heat, but
not a lot. At an ounce an hour, it can't be all that much. Compared to
the kerosene heater which uses a galon in 12 hours, or about 10 ounces
an hour. Actually, if I figure 11 ounces an hour puts out 11,000 BTU
an hour. That gives me some numbers to work with. Thanks for helping
me figure out a reasonable answer.

Old October 23rd 10, 01:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair

If it's enough, then an oil lamp or two or more. Could be used for
heat when the power is off, or the propane tank is empty.

A few votive candles will keep you from freezing to death.

I had a friend who lived in the woods for a while. On a cold night he
would light a few candles.

CY: Well, candles do have flame, and do put out "a little" heat.
Another writer says maybe 50 BTU per hour.

I just checked Vermont oil lamps, and they claim thair 1/2" wick
lamps
consume roughly 1/2 ounce per hour - so a 1" wick should burn an
ounce
an hour. Either my numbers for a candle are off or the heat value of
wax is a lot higher than kero - which is POSSIBLE, but liquid
parrafin
puts out less LIGHT than kero in a wick lamp, so?????

I think, perhaps, one too many conversions in the calculations
somewhere. Ed's figure looks about right. In the neighborhood of 1000
BTUs/Hr for a standard oil lamp. Perhaps a bit less.

CY: I ran some numbers, and 1,000 BTU per ounce is more or less
correct.

It may not be worth cleaning up the smoke and smudge.

CY: Yes, candles do put out a lot of soot. I would only use candles
for emergency heat. And then as a last resort.

Old October 23rd 10, 11:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Wick type oil or "kerosene" lamps from Walmart or other places. They
put out some heat. But, how much?

Any idea how to figure out the BTU per hour? My thought is that they
burn about an ounce of oil an hour. More or less. So, on the web some
where has to be the heat content of lamp oil. Figure it out from
there.

If it's enough, then an oil lamp or two or more. Could be used for
heat when the power is off, or the propane tank is empty.

The human body emits about 400 BTU/hr.

So, if you could get a couple of hotties to snuggle up to you in
"sandwich mode", perhaps with an insulating wrap around the three of
you, you'd not need to worry about the output of oil lamps would you? G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Old October 24th 10, 12:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I suspect before the end of the Oh Bomb Us administration. We'll all
be wearing sweatters indoors like Jimmuh Kottah. We'll be driving
clown cars, and wishing we could afford to both heat and eat.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"A. Baum" wrote in message
news

If it's enough, then an oil lamp or two or more. Could be used for
heat
when the power is off, or the propane tank is empty.

I use a couple to light my entertainment room in the evening. They do
noticeably so keep the furnace from coming on as often. There are what
would call standard size wick lamps that I use K1 in. Back when K1
wasn't
3 bucks a gallon I heated my house in the evening with a 100K BTU
heater.
It could be 10F outside and the furnace set at 68F would not come on.
These days it's pretty expensive to supplement the main heat source
with
a portable K1 heater. More so than natural gas at $6.47 per MCF. And i
was pretty serious about it too buying K1 from a local petro dealer by
the 55 gallon drum. Can't afford it these days.

Old October 24th 10, 12:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Hmm. That's a good idea. Now, I just need a couple more wives.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old October 24th 10, 12:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2010 4:03 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

Hmm. That's a good idea. Now, I just need a couple more wives.

Planning on moving up to Northern Arizona, are you?

Old October 24th 10, 01:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Wick type oil or "kerosene" lamps from Walmart or other places. They
put out some heat. But, how much?

Any idea how to figure out the BTU per hour? My thought is that they
burn about an ounce of oil an hour. More or less. So, on the web some
where has to be the heat content of lamp oil. Figure it out from
there.

If it's enough, then an oil lamp or two or more. Could be used for
heat when the power is off, or the propane tank is empty.

FWIW, according to:http://greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?
msg_id=000Qj8

"An Aladdin mantle lamp will use, at full bore, about one gallon of
kerosene for every 50 hours of use. Output is 3500 BTU's... more than
enough to heat one well-insulated room in winter. In addition to
light, you can cook on one... the heat escaping the chimney is over
400 degrees F. Inventive minds can design a sturdy, tall stand to hold
a skillet for cooking. Don't have an inventive mind? Better cultivate
one, or make close acquaintance with one soon... you'll need it to get
through what's coming."

Northe