Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hammerite Rust Cap Paint - Too Thick, Too Quick For Me!

I've been using some Hammerite Rust Cap to paint some tire rims -
brush on, not spray.

The stuff is so thick and dries so quickly that I'm having a hard time
getting a smooth, even finish.

The instructions say it will sag if over applied, but if I use too
little, it dries almost instantly and begins to glob up as I try to
combine two sections. The old rule of "maintain a wet edge" is next to
impossible and God forbid if I have to go back and touch up a section
even after a few seconds.

http://www.alvinkeyclamps.co.uk/Data...202%202006.pdf

Luckily, they're just trailer rims, so I'm not all that concerned, but
I'm certainly not able to brush on what anyone would call a quality
finish.

I've got one more surface to go, but to be honest, I don't know if
I'll be keeping the rest of the quart on the shelf. I can't think of
any other applications where I'd settle for the results I'm getting
with the rims.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It says it can be thinned. Have your tried that? Sounds like you are
trying to put on too thick a coat?

Also, lay the rims down FLAT. That should help, I would think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 3:06*pm, deadgoose wrote:

It says it can be thinned. Have your tried that?

Yes, the instructions say it can be thinned, but they only mention
thinning in the instructions for rolling and spraying. They also claim
"Hammerite is designed to be ready for use." No, I haven't tried
thinning, mainly because it doesn't appear that I should have too, at
least according to the instructions.

Sounds like you are trying to put on too thick a coat?

As I said in my OP, if I apply a thin coat, it dries almost instantly
and "pulls" and ripples. If I apply it too thick, it sags. I (and it
could just be me) am unable to find that happy medium where it goes on
nice and even like "normal" paint.

Also, lay the rims down FLAT. That should help, I would think.

I'm painting them on a workbench, lying flat, but think about what a
tire rim looks like.

Standing up, lying down or leaning at an angle, there is no position
in which the entire surface will ever be flat. Tire rims - especially
trailer rims - will have horizontal, vertical and even bowl shaped
surfaces. They're a 3 dimensional object.

My rims:

http://www.championtrailers.com/tire...e_rim_tire.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.alvinkeyclamps.co.uk/Data...mmerite%20Meta...

Luckily, they're just trailer rims, so I'm not all that concerned, but
I'm certainly not able to brush on what anyone would call a quality
finish.

I've got one more surface to go, but to be honest, I don't know if
I'll be keeping the rest of the quart on the shelf. I can't think of
any other applications where I'd settle for the results I'm getting
with the rims.

I think the product is designed to be sprayed, you can thin it, if
that doesnt help get spray cans or spray what you have
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 4:13*pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

that doesnt help get spray cans or spray what you have- Hide quoted text -

Click the link I provided and read section 10.

10. APPLICATION METHODS

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 2:55*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I've had little trouble brushing it on vertical surfaces, like post
lights, so I'm not sure what's going on with yours. It is a little
more finicky than other paints, and you don't want to play with it too
much, lay it on, brush out once, and move on. I spray the stuff when
I'm doing complicated things, like patio furniture and the like. Get
a Preval sprayer. Works fine.
http://www.amazon.com/Preval-Sprayer.../dp/B000TRL9PY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 2:34*am, (Nestor Kelebay)
wrote:
responding tohttp://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Hammerite-Rust-Cap-Paint-Too...

HoOwnerSnub.com unfair to workers!

Nestor Kelebay wrote:

DerbyDad03:

If you go towww.jamestowndistributors.comweb site, you can download the
MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for this paint. *I downloaded the MSDS
for the white smooth (rather than hammered texture) brush-on paint, and it
said that the thinner in the paint consists primarily of xylene (16.5
percent of the can's weight is xylene) and acetone (4.3 % acetone).

Now, acetone evaporates much more rapidly than xylene, so it's kinda dumb
to use acetone as a thinner in a paint that's not meant to be sprayed.
The only reason I can think of to use some acetone in this paint is that
acetone is NOT considered a VOC so far as the US air pollution watch dogs
are concerned. *So, by replacing some of the xylene thinner in the paint
with acetone, Masterchem (who is the company that makes this paint) can
both keep the paint below the stringent VOC guidelines in the US, AND
advertise that this paint has lower VOCs now, and is therefore "greener".

But, as soon as you open the can and start painting with the paint, that
acetone is going to evaporate fairly quickly out of the can, and what
you'll be left with is a thicker paint of higher viscosity that won't self
level as well.

Go to any paint store and buy some xylene and use that to thin your
Hammerite paint. *You don't need to add much because thinning paint is
like burning the candle at both ends; not only will the added thinner slow
the drying time of the paint, but it will also lower the paint's viscosity
and thereby allow it to self level faster. *So, you don't need to thin the
paint much to notice a difference in it's performance.

The Hammerite paint the OP is using is not supposed to self-level.
You've obviously never used the stuff so why do you feel you are able
to comment on its use?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 4:37*pm, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

R- Hide quoted text -

How does that spray gun work? Is there a propellant in the canister?

BTW...I bought the brush on product because it was $20 a quart,
including shipping, and I knew I'd have a lot left over for other
projects. The spray version was going to cost me at least $30 just for
this project.

In hindsight, I probably should have gone with the spray.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 10:14*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 20, 4:37*pm, RicodJour wrote:

I've had little trouble brushing it on vertical surfaces, like post
lights, so I'm not sure what's going on with yours. *It is a little
more finicky than other paints, and you don't want to play with it too
much, lay it on, brush out once, and move on. *I spray the stuff when
I'm doing complicated things, like patio furniture and the like. *Get
a Preval sprayer. *Works fine.http://www.amazon.com/Preval-Sprayer.../dp/B000TRL9PY

How does that spray gun work? Is there a propellant in the canister?

BTW...I bought the brush on product because it was $20 a quart,
including shipping, and I knew I'd have a lot left over for other
projects. The spray version was going to cost me at least $30 just for
this project.

In hindsight, I probably should have gone with the spray.

Yep. The Preval has a replaceable propellant cartridge. There are
also compressed air rechargeable spray bottles, but I've never used
one. The Preval is nice because they're cheap enough and they work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 12:05*pm, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

*Now* you tell me! ;-)

I just dropped the rims off to have the tires put on. The first thing
I said to the guy was "No comments on the paint job!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 12:52:04 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Oct 20, 3:06Â*pm, deadgoose wrote:

[...]

It's hammerite. It is designed NOT to go on smooth. If you want
smooth, buy different paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

hmm...must be they just like the words Smooth Finish, 'cuz they what
they put on the label.

http://www.amazon.com/Hammerite-Meta.../dp/B000PII4BY
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Oct 20, 3:06Â*pm, deadgoose wrote:

It says it can be thinned. Â*Have your tried that?

Yes, the instructions say it can be thinned, but they only mention
thinning in the instructions for rolling and spraying. They also claim
"Hammerite is designed to be ready for use." No, I haven't tried
thinning, mainly because it doesn't appear that I should have too, at
least according to the instructions.

Sounds like you are trying to put on too thick a coat?

As I said in my OP, if I apply a thin coat, it dries almost instantly
and "pulls" and ripples. If I apply it too thick, it sags. I (and it
could just be me) am unable to find that happy medium where it goes on
nice and even like "normal" paint.

Also, lay the rims down FLAT. That should help, I would think.

I'm painting them on a workbench, lying flat, but think about what a
tire rim looks like.

Standing up, lying down or leaning at an angle, there is no position
in which the entire surface will ever be flat. Â*Tire rims - especially
trailer rims - will have horizontal, vertical and even bowl shaped
surfaces. They're a 3 dimensional object.

My rims:

http://www.championtrailers.com/tire...e_rim_tire.jpg

Â*It's hammerite. It is Â*designed NOT to go on smooth. If you want
smooth, buy different paint.

hmm...must be they just like the words Smooth Finish, 'cuz they what
they put on the label.

http://www.amazon.com/Hammerite-Meta.../dp/B000PII4BY

Different Hammerite than I've seen before - so I guess it needs to be
thinned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

bzzzzt...wrong again.

Look up through the thread, find the link I posted earlier and read
section 10.

No mention of thinning for brush on application.

Hey, I said it in the subject line, and I said in my posts - it could
just be *me*.

Maybe others can get the paint to brush on to a smooth finish, but I
can't. I had to paint 4 "surfaces". The inside and outside of 2 rims.
I got better as I went along, but even the last surface I did has a
few drips and globs. Definitely not a job I'm proud of.

Oh well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Â*Different Hammerite than I've seen before - so I guess it needs to be
thinned.

bzzzzt...wrong again.

Look up through the thread, find the link I posted earlier and read
section 10.

No mention of thinning for brush on application.

Hey, I said it in the subject line, and I said in my posts - it could
just be *me*.

Maybe others can get the paint to brush on to a smooth finish, but I
can't. I had to paint 4 "surfaces". The inside and outside of 2 rims.
I got better as I went along, but even the last surface I did has a
few drips and globs. Definitely not a job I'm proud of.

Oh well.

The solvent in ALL Hammerite paint, as far as I know, is high in
Acetone and VERYquick to evaporate - leaving the paint thick. Thinning
is sometimes absolutely necessary to get some paints to flow if they
have thickened. Just don't OVER thin. Then you need to spray it, and
even then it's never the same.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The can I'm holding warns about xylene exposure but says nothing about
acetone.

It also says - in bold letters - No Thinning Recommended.

I'm just saying...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Â*The solvent in ALL Hammerite paint, as far as I know, is high in
Acetone and VERYquick to evaporate - leaving the paint thick. Thinning
is sometimes absolutely necessary to get some paints to flow if they
have thickened. Just don't OVER thin. Then you need to spray it, and
even then it's never the same.

The can I'm holding warns about xylene exposure but says nothing about
acetone.

It also says - in bold letters - No Thinning Recommended.

I'm just saying...

They generally don't warn of Acetone as it is much more "benign" than
Xylene and Toluene - which are also very volatile and therefore
evaporate quickly.

When they say no thinning recommended it is often CYA for the EPA
VOCs
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to clare, Bob wrote:
Hammerite also sells a gloss enamel, not with the hammered affect. I'm trying
to use it now and am having issues trying to roll the paint on my iron fence.
It dries so fast that if you try to roll it on it starts making making really
fine cotton candy like fibers coming off the fence and roller. I'm going to
try to thin it tomorrow and see if that helps.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...me-591568-.htm

Paint stripper + plastic / Hammerite Doki UK diy 5 July 8th 06 03:47 PM
cheapest place for hammerite direct to rust metal paint? Haymish Pupkin UK diy 7 July 7th 06 03:37 PM
Hammerite -vs- Ronseal No Rust? Andrew J Instone-Cowie UK diy 0 September 19th 04 07:16 PM
Thick paint Kris UK diy 4 November 23rd 03 10:46 PM
Hammerite paint stripper Jonathan Ward UK diy 4 September 18th 03 01:12 PM