Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Do low-speed fans on new warm air oil furnaces run all the time?

Do low-speed fans on new warm air oil furnaces run all the time?

How do multii-speed fans in new OIL warm air furnaces work. One
webpage said that such a fan might use 200 watts, but the one speed
fan my current furnace has might use 800 watts! That seems amazing.

It also gave the impression that when the furnace calls for the low
speed fan, it's because the fan runs all the time. Is that right?

I'm used to the idea that very few oil furnaces have efficiency 90% or
greater, and that they are very expensive. But if I get a
electronically controlled fan with the furnace, that part of the
furnace is eligible for the Federal Energy Credit, and I presume it's
something I want to have anyhow. But I'd like to know how it works
before I buy one.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

Do low-speed fans on new warm air oil furnaces run all the time?

Furnace fans are commonly controlled by thermostat switches
with three settings:
Off = fan never runs
On = fan runs always
Automatic = fan runs when required by the heating unit.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2010 7:51 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
wrote in message

Do low-speed fans on new warm air oil furnaces run all the time?

Furnace fans are commonly controlled by thermostat switches
with three settings:
Off = fan never runs
On = fan runs always
Automatic = fan runs when required by the heating unit.

Newer stuff with DC drive motors for the air handler may run at a
very low speed continuously to even out the temperature of the home.
The first HVAC system I came across with this feature had me thinking
there was something wrong until I called the supplier and was assured
it was a normal operating mode. The best bet is to call the manufacturer
and find out if the continuous low speed is a feature of your new gear.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

Do low-speed fans on new warm air oil furnaces run all the time?

How do multii-speed fans in new OIL warm air furnaces work. One
webpage said that such a fan might use 200 watts, but the one speed
fan my current furnace has might use 800 watts! That seems amazing.

It also gave the impression that when the furnace calls for the low
speed fan, it's because the fan runs all the time. Is that right?

I'm used to the idea that very few oil furnaces have efficiency 90% or
greater, and that they are very expensive. But if I get a
electronically controlled fan with the furnace, that part of the
furnace is eligible for the Federal Energy Credit, and I presume it's
something I want to have anyhow. But I'd like to know how it works
before I buy one.

Our furnace has a continuously variable DC fan that is (as far as I know)
always running. You set your thermostat fan control to "ON" and the
computer manages the speed.

When not calling for heating or cooling the fan runs very slowly. You might
feel a slight draft from the vent, but you could never hear it running.
This was explained as helping to "even out" the temperatures within the
home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2010 10:06 AM, Rick Brandt wrote:
mm wrote:

[...]

I have a new furnace (Amana) with the Electronically Commutated Motor
(ECM) inside blower. I know it doesn't run all the time. You can
select continuous run on the thermostat. Also, there are different
"programmable" features done my the HVAC guy like ramp up, ramp down,
etc. I don't know if they can program any kind of constant run or not,
but it probably depends on the brand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2010 1:12 AM, mm wrote:
Do low-speed fans on new warm air oil furnaces run all the time?

How do multii-speed fans in new OIL warm air furnaces work. One
webpage said that such a fan might use 200 watts, but the one speed
fan my current furnace has might use 800 watts! That seems amazing.

It also gave the impression that when the furnace calls for the low
speed fan, it's because the fan runs all the time. Is that right?

I'm used to the idea that very few oil furnaces have efficiency 90% or
greater, and that they are very expensive. But if I get a
electronically controlled fan with the furnace, that part of the
furnace is eligible for the Federal Energy Credit, and I presume it's
something I want to have anyhow. But I'd like to know how it works
before I buy one.

Thanks.

I believe mine runs at two speeds, high and low.
Wife is constantly complaining that it is not as warm even though
thermostat is constant, you just don't get that blast of warm air.
Told her she is welcome to turn up the heat but at $3+ per gallon she is
reticent to do so
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 08:51:08 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .

Do low-speed fans on new warm air oil furnaces run all the time?

Furnace fans are commonly controlled by thermostat switches
with three settings:
Off = fan never runs
On = fan runs always
Automatic = fan runs when required by the heating unit.

And the VAST majority of new furnace installations DO run the fan at
low speed constantly when on "automatic" - kicking up to higher speeds
when heat or cooling are called for.
In most cases, AC blower is higher than heat blower speed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Do low-speed fans on new warm air oil furnaces run all the time?

Furnace fans are commonly controlled by thermostat switches
with three settings:
Off = fan never runs
On = fan runs always
Automatic = fan runs when required by the heating unit.

Newer stuff with DC drive motors for the air handler may run at a
very low speed continuously to even out the temperature of the home.
The first HVAC system I came across with this feature had me thinking
there was something wrong until I called the supplier and was assured
it was a normal operating mode. The best bet is to call the manufacturer
and find out if the continuous low speed is a feature of your new gear.

TDD

It is an available setting on virtually all currently available forced
air furnaces - and ALL DC variable speed systems.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote in message

Do low-speed fans on new warm air oil furnaces run all the time?

Furnace fans are commonly controlled by thermostat switches
with three settings:
Off = fan never runs
On = fan runs always
Automatic = fan runs when required by the heating unit.

Newer stuff with DC drive motors for the air handler may run at a
very low speed continuously to even out the temperature of the home.
The first HVAC system I came across with this feature had me thinking
there was something wrong until I called the supplier and was assured
it was a normal operating mode.

After you knew it wasn't broken, did you like it? Right now, I like
the total quiet that occurs at least when the furnace isn't running.
Part of the year that's 80 or 90 percent of the time.

The best bet is to call the manufacturer
and find out if the continuous low speed is a feature of your new gear.

TDD

It is an available setting on virtually all currently available forced
air furnaces - and ALL DC variable speed systems.

When you say "available" do you mean I could turn it off if I want to?

I don't have that now, and I've never felt the need to have the
temperature evened out.

Do you mind the fan going all the time?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 09:06:26 -0500, Rick Brandt
wrote:

mm wrote:

[...]

Does that mean if you set it to auto, it would go off when the furnace
isn't running? I like the feature you describe if I'm not stuck using
it when I don't want to.

When not calling for heating or cooling the fan runs very slowly. You might
feel a slight draft from the vent, but you could never hear it running.

I'm afraid I might. It is a straight shot from the furnace to the big
vent in the hall right outside the bedroom door, and the noise of my
current fan has been a big problem. I tried changing the fixed speed
on my fan, by connecting different wires, but as the schematic said,
it was already on the lowest speed. I have to shut the door when I'm
sleeping or trying to get to sleep.

This was explained as helping to "even out" the temperatures within the
home.

If my temps are uneven, I either don't notice or don't mind.

Thanks to everyone including you, Dufas, and clare.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 11:00*am, Frank wrote:
On 10/17/2010 1:12 AM, mm wrote:

[...]

reticent to do so - Hide quoted text -

Running continuously does use some electricity, but it probably
cheaper than spurts of high speed whenever the plenum temperature is
above the preset turn-on temperature. Due to the eveness of the
temperature, you can proably set the thermostat a couple of degrees
coller than normal (for wintertime use) because you won't have the
temperature swings that you get with an off-on type of operation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2010 5:11 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Oct 17, 11:00 am, wrote:
On 10/17/2010 1:12 AM, mm wrote:

[...]

Can't remember where we set it with old furnace but when wife is cold
she nudges it up. Furnace or fan does not run continuously.

I've heard similar complaints about heat pumps that don't put out a
burst of heat but give even temperature control.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Oct 17, 11:00 am, wrote:
On 10/17/2010 1:12 AM, mm wrote:

[...]

That's different though. A heat pump can't put out that much heat.
So I gather they run all the time when it's pretty cold, so I guess
they have to run the fan too.

An oil furnace can put out plenty of heat, and even if the temp rises
and falls, that don't bother me**. My main concern is if I can set
the fan to go on only when the furnace is running (not counting that
it starts late and stops late even now, based on I guess what hr said,
plenum temperature). I want to be able to do that.

Do furnaces with ECM allow that? Because there are still plenty of
oil furnaces sold that DON'T have ECM.

Thanks.

I can't ask the manufacturer easily because I haven't picked out
either a furnace company or a furnace, and some salesmen will just say
"Sure".

**The temp rise and fall is like a compresed version of the seasons!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 11:00 am, wrote:
On 10/17/2010 1:12 AM, mm wrote:

[...]

This depends on how it's set up. My thermostat has a "continuous" setting
that keeps the fan running.

I've heard similar complaints about heat pumps that don't put out a
burst of heat but give even temperature control.

The problem with heat pumps is that the temperature rise isn't enough
(optimized for efficiency) so they blow much colder air than a hot-air
furnace. I call mine "forced cold air heat". To compensate I have to keep
the house a good 5F warmer, and that still doesn't make up for the drafts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

[...]

Definitely. It is programmable.

I don't have that now, and I've never felt the need to have the
temperature evened out.

Do you mind the fan going all the time?

I don't mind it at all. It drowns out the hum from the CFLs.

As an aside - I replaced a 30 year old standard gas furnace with a new
85%+ non-condensing 2 stage gas furnace with DC blower fan - and my
gas bill did not change AT ALL. Upon investigation and questioning
both the furnace people and the gas utility I found out the improved
efficiency of the DC blower motor meant the blower was not providing
nearly as much heat to the system, so the furnace needed to provide
more - and the difference in efficiency of the burner (my old one
surprised all the furnace techs who ever checked it by running 85% or
better) and the heat needed to compenste for the more efficient blower
fan just cancelled out. The electricity bill DID go down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

mm wrote:

[...]

If I turned the fan switch at the thermostat OFF the blower fan still
ran at low speed. If I turned it ON, it ran constantly at high speed.
If I turned it to AUTO it ran at low speed untill the furnace came on,
then went to high. If I turned the furnace switch off, the blower did
not run.

The new digital thermostat I have now does not have a fan control
switch. Just a heat-off-cool switch, and even with it OFF the blower
fan runs at low speed. If I don't want the fan running I can still
throw the furnace power switch

When not calling for heating or cooling the fan runs very slowly. You might
feel a slight draft from the vent, but you could never hear it running.

I'm afraid I might. It is a straight shot from the furnace to the big
vent in the hall right outside the bedroom door, and the noise of my
current fan has been a big problem. I tried changing the fixed speed
on my fan, by connecting different wires, but as the schematic said,
it was already on the lowest speed. I have to shut the door when I'm
sleeping or trying to get to sleep.

The direct drive DC blower fan on my furnace is less than57 dB a foot
from the furnace or in the next room with the door open (c scale) and
does not indicate at all on the 60dB scale of my Micronta(radio shack)
digital sound meter with the door closed (2 heat oputlets in the room)
On the "A" scale it does not even read in the furnace room.

This was explained as helping to "even out" the temperatures within the
home.

If my temps are uneven, I either don't notice or don't mind.

Thanks to everyone including you, Dufas, and clare.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

mm wrote:

[...]

Wow. What brand of furnace do you have?

Are they all like this, folks?

[...]

I don't have a sound meter, but I think I'm more sensitive to sound
than average, and less sensitive to temparature changes.

This was explained as helping to "even out" the temperatures within the
home.

If my temps are uneven, I either don't notice or don't mind.

Thanks to everyone including you, Dufas, and clare.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ideally, a furnace is matched for the size of the house, and matched
to the needs. It should run nearly all the time on the winter's
coldest days.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 22:58:19 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Ideally, a furnace is matched for the size of the house, and matched
to the needs. It should run nearly all the time on the winter's
coldest days.

Well, if even a small furnace puts out more heat than a heat pump, and
a heat pump is adequate for a given outside temperature, I don't see
how a furnace nearby would have to run nearly all the time.
--

.. .