Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Waterproof a plywood cathouse?

On Oct 14, 8:24*am, dgk wrote:
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 18:43:00 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "

wrote:
On Oct 13, 7:33*am, Hell Toupee wrote:
On 10/12/2010 2:31 PM, dgk wrote:

Last year I had a 4*8 outdoor plywood board (pressure treated I think)
cut into appropriate pieces at the local Home Despot and put together
a little house for a few feral cats. I used some polyurethane stain,
caulked the seams, and figured it was pretty waterproof. Yet every
heavy rain the inside was soaked.

I figured that I'd get some of that roofing tarpaper, use the flashing
cement to attach it to the wood, and put some shingles on it. However
I can only buy the tarpaper in large rolls, which is far more than I
would ever need.

So, what's a good way to waterproof a pet house?

I built one back when I was a kid, same problem. I used old window
shades that I pulled off the rollers, then stapled onto the roof and
walls of the house. You could do the same with an inexpensive plastic
tarp.

The OP said it had a flat roof, in his second posting, very bad design
to start with.

The problem is that the OP (me) is incompetent at cutting boards at
other than a right angle, likely because I don't have the equiptment
to do so. I can get the plywood cut at Home Despot but only right
angles. Damn, an old friend's father had a whole woodworking setup in
his basement and could have done this stuff blindfolded. He died a few
years back and my friend rented a truck and took all the machines
cross country and put them into his basement. Maybe if I drew up some
plans I could get him to...

Come to think of it, my roof is pretty much a flat roof and yes, it is
a pain every five years or so. I can't wrap the whole house in a tarp
though. Actually, after those tornadoes just tore through New York
City a few weeks back, lots of homes near me are covered in blue tarp.- Hide quoted text -

"The problem is that the OP (me) is incompetent at cutting boards
at other than a right angle, likely because I don't have the
equiptment to do so"

I'm not sure what equipment you have, but what are you using that
limits you to cutting boards at right angles?

A circular saw, sabre saw, hand saw, heck, even a reciprocating saw
can follow a straight edge placed at an angle.

What is it that limits you to cutting right angles only?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

On 10/12/2010 2:31 PM, dgk wrote:

"The problem is that the OP (me) is incompetent at cutting boards
at other than a right angle, likely because I don't have the
equiptment to do so"

I'm not sure what equipment you have, but what are you using that
limits you to cutting boards at right angles?

A circular saw, sabre saw, hand saw, heck, even a reciprocating saw
can follow a straight edge placed at an angle.

What is it that limits you to cutting right angles only?

I have a hand held metal contraption in which a rotating blade perhaps
8" in diameter projects below a level surface and cuts anything it
hits. While I suppose it is possible to hold it at an angle while
cutting a piece of wood, it is unlikely that such a cut would be
regular enough to match a similarly cut surface.

I think at a minumum I would need a table saw that can be held at a
consistent angle.

Waterproof a plywood cathouse? dgk Home Repair 20 June 18th 20 08:24 PM
Truly waterproof glue and waterproof finish Gary Dean Woodworking 11 July 6th 08 07:34 AM
CATHOUSE J T Woodworking 13 September 2nd 07 07:12 PM
to waterproof or not to waterproof(and stain) pressure treated wood (kids home swingset)... markm75 Home Repair 3 May 11th 07 03:09 AM