Posted to alt.home.repair

Default can/should I seal the edges of laminate flooring?

I'm installing laminate flooring an a bedroom adjacent to the bathroom.
The transition strip to the vinyl is made of the same stuff.
I'd like to keep accidental water spills outa the laminate.
I thought about running a thin layer of caulk along the
edge of the laminate, but not touching the floor, under the transition
strip. to seal it off.
But ordinary caulk is water based???
Can the cure be worse than the potential of water spills?

What's the recommended treatment at the joint between laminate
in the bedroom and vinyl in the bathroom?
Thanks, mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 12:40:17 -0700, mike wrote:

I'm installing laminate flooring an a bedroom adjacent to the bathroom.
The transition strip to the vinyl is made of the same stuff.
I'd like to keep accidental water spills outa the laminate.
I thought about running a thin layer of caulk along the
edge of the laminate, but not touching the floor, under the transition
strip. to seal it off.
But ordinary caulk is water based???
Can the cure be worse than the potential of water spills?

What's the recommended treatment at the joint between laminate
in the bedroom and vinyl in the bathroom?
Thanks, mike

An accidental spill of water can be dried and handled right away.

If something breaks and floods the bathroom, while sleeping or on
vacation -- caulk won't help. Some portions of the flooring will/may
need to be replaced. That depends on the extent of the damage.

Don't worry about it until it happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 3, 2:40*pm, mike wrote:
I'm installing *laminate flooring an a bedroom adjacent to the bathroom..
The transition strip to the vinyl is made of the same stuff.
I'd like to keep accidental water spills outa the laminate.
I thought about running a thin layer of caulk along the
edge of the laminate, but not touching the floor, under the transition
strip. to seal it off.
But ordinary caulk is water based???
Can the cure be worse than the potential of water spills?

What's the recommended treatment at the joint between laminate
in the bedroom and vinyl in the bathroom?
Thanks, mike

I would run a bead of clear silicone rubber across the whole
transition, touching the transition piece and the vinyl bathroom
floor. This should make a watertight barrier so that no water can get
to the flooring except if it gets deeper than the height of the
silicone on the transition piece. I would be especially careful at
the edges of the doorway, so that water does not get around the
transition piece.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
I'm installing laminate flooring an a bedroom adjacent to the
bathroom. The transition strip to the vinyl is made of the same stuff.
I'd like to keep accidental water spills outa the laminate.
I thought about running a thin layer of caulk along the
edge of the laminate, but not touching the floor, under the transition
strip. to seal it off.
But ordinary caulk is water based???
Can the cure be worse than the potential of water spills?

What's the recommended treatment at the joint between laminate
in the bedroom and vinyl in the bathroom?
Thanks, mike

Your concern depends on the laminate. If the lower-priced variety, it is
impervious to water.

I took some scraps, miked them, and left them in a glass of water for TWO
MONTHS. A subsequent measurement showed no distortion within the limits of
my micrometer (0.002 inch). There was no distortion or de-lamination or any
other change in the material.

In this case, do what looks best (transition molding, etc.) and forget about
any water-based problem.