Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GE stops making its iconic bulb in the U.S.

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...conic-bulb-in/

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/2010 12:10 PM, willshak wrote:
http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...conic-bulb-in/

Also look at the link the

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/po...103727674.html

GE pushed for the legislation for bulbs and are sending production to
Mexico and China. I would think that bulb making would be highly
automated, a job that could have stayed here with our higher worker wages.

For those that think we should buy American, look at GE.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-10-01, Frank wrote:

Mexico and China. I would think that bulb making would be highly
automated, a job that could have stayed here with our higher worker wages.

Sure, pal!

I think Rusk should be able to dump his old car crankcase oil in the
storm drain, throw his broken tv's and refrigerators on the side of the
road, and burn witches at the stake. fortunately, not everyone is
equally as stupid.

While I have few illusions about GEs motives, the end result is for
the better and allowing ppl to adhere to outdated energy wasting
technologies does us no good in the long run. Rusk wants to make his
own incandescent light bulb, no one is stopping him. Edison did it.
But, supplying the lazy self-indulgent masses with highly detrimental
technologies, like polluting cars, should not be allowed jes cuz it
may preserve someone's freedom of choice.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-10-01, Frank wrote:

Mexico and China. I would think that bulb making would be highly
automated, a job that could have stayed here with our higher worker wages.

Sure, pal!

I think Rusk should be able to dump his old car crankcase oil in the
storm drain, throw his broken tv's and refrigerators on the side of the
road, and burn witches at the stake. fortunately, not everyone is
equally as stupid.

I strain my dirty crankcase oil and pour it in my household fuel oil tank.
I also dump my old TVs and other items on the side of the road, but only
twice a year in the spring and fall.
The highway department picks them up in their regularly scheduled
cleanup program.
Which reminds me, I have to get the stuff out before next week, so the
'pickers' get first dibs on it..

While I have few illusions about GEs motives, the end result is for
the better and allowing ppl to adhere to outdated energy wasting
technologies does us no good in the long run. Rusk wants to make his
own incandescent light bulb, no one is stopping him. Edison did it.
But, supplying the lazy self-indulgent masses with highly detrimental
technologies, like polluting cars, should not be allowed jes cuz it
may preserve someone's freedom of choice.

nb

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

?

"Frank" wrote in message
On 10/1/2010 12:10 PM, willshak wrote:
http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...conic-bulb-in/

Also look at the link the

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/po...103727674.html

GE pushed for the legislation for bulbs and are sending production to
Mexico and China. I would think that bulb making would be highly
automated, a job that could have stayed here with our higher worker wages.

For those that think we should buy American, look at GE.

what would edison do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

WWED. That's profound. I think he would reccomend lower taxes, and a
severe reduction in the government meddling.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob Sauerbraugh"
wrote in message ...

For those that think we should buy American, look at GE.

what would edison do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-10-01, Bob Sauerbraugh wrote:

what would edison do?

Lie like a rug and screw everyone within a 5 mile radius.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"A. Baum" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:10:41 -0400, willshak wrote:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...an-light-bulb-

ge-stops-making-its-iconic-bulb-in/

I'm buying as many bulbs as I can. They will be worth millions some day.

I really doubt it. The CFLs keep getting better and they are cheaper to
operate. Keeping your head in the sand is your option though. How is that
8088 computer working for you? DOS makes it so simple to use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2010 7:52 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"A. Baum" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:10:41 -0400, willshak wrote:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...an-light-bulb-

ge-stops-making-its-iconic-bulb-in/

I'm buying as many bulbs as I can. They will be worth millions some day.

I really doubt it. The CFLs keep getting better and they are cheaper to
operate. Keeping your head in the sand is your option though. How is
that 8088 computer working for you? DOS makes it so simple to use.

Hey! Watch your mouth! I still have one of those over in the corner,
there. (Really need to light it up some day, and see if the hard drive
still spins...)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2010 6:30 AM, A. Baum wrote:
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:10:41 -0400, willshak wrote:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...an-light-bulb-

ge-stops-making-its-iconic-bulb-in/

I'm buying as many bulbs as I can. They will be worth millions some day.

The light bulb police will show up and confiscate them. Just wait and
see, someday a neighbor or brainwashed family member will turn you in.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Oct 2010 11:30:31 +0000 (UTC), A. Baum wrote:
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:10:41 -0400, willshak wrote:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...an-light-bulb-

ge-stops-making-its-iconic-bulb-in/

I'm buying as many bulbs as I can. They will be worth millions some day.

Do you have room? Isn't your investment storage unit filled to the ceiling
with CRT monitors/tvs, phonograph players, betamax vcrs, and circuit
city divx players?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"A. Baum" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:10:41 -0400, willshak wrote:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...an-light-bulb-
ge-stops-making-its-iconic-bulb-in/

I'm buying as many bulbs as I can. They will be worth millions some day.

I really doubt it. The CFLs keep getting better and they are cheaper to
operate. Keeping your head in the sand is your option though. How is
that 8088 computer working for you? DOS makes it so simple to use.

Hey! Watch your mouth! I still have one of those over in the corner,
there. (Really need to light it up some day, and see if the hard drive
still spins...)

wanna buy a 56K modem for it? I still have a 56K *real* (not winmodem) ISA
modem. Looks like I should have put it up for sale while it was still worth
anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 08:17:33 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 10/2/2010 6:30 AM, A. Baum wrote:
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:10:41 -0400, willshak wrote:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...an-light-bulb-

ge-stops-making-its-iconic-bulb-in/

I'm buying as many bulbs as I can. They will be worth millions some day.

The light bulb police will show up and confiscate them. Just wait and
see, someday a neighbor or brainwashed family member will turn you in.

The DEA cops will see his unreasonable electric bill on a database query and
bust down his doors thinking he's growing weed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:

wanna buy a 56K modem for it? I still have a 56K *real* (not
winmodem) ISA modem. Looks like I should have put it up for sale
while it was still worth anything.

I've still got a 9600 baud USR modem, serial connection.

Well, I did, but it went to the dump a few months ago during one of the
purges.

Still have a 28.8 hardware faxmodem around here somewhere, though. Shame it
won't work on my Comcast phone line, though. *******s.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:10:41 -0400, willshak wrote:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...an-light-bulb-

ge-stops-making-its-iconic-bulb-in/

I'm buying as many bulbs as I can. They will be worth millions some
day.

Do you have room? Isn't your investment storage unit filled to the
ceiling with CRT monitors/tvs, phonograph players, betamax vcrs, and
circuit
city divx players?\

All joking aside, I am seriously considering stockpiling at least 100 boxes
of bulbs. Probably get 70 boxes of 60W, 30 boxes of 40W.

That'd give me 400 bulbs, for about a hundred bucks. Should last the rest
of my life.

Would take a bit of space to store them, though. I wonder how they would do
in an attic?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:10:41 -0400, willshak wrote:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...an-light-bulb-
ge-stops-making-its-iconic-bulb-in/

I'm buying as many bulbs as I can. They will be worth millions some day.

Do you have room? Isn't your investment storage unit filled to the
ceiling with CRT monitors/tvs, phonograph players, betamax vcrs, and
circuit city divx players?

I'll build a pole building with 20 foot tall electric fences covered with
razor wire.

Yeah, but you're still using DC. Being 1/2 mile from the power plant is
expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:10:41 -0400, willshak wrote:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...an-light-bulb-
ge-stops-making-its-iconic-bulb-in/

I'm buying as many bulbs as I can. They will be worth millions some
day.

Do you have room? Isn't your investment storage unit filled to the
ceiling with CRT monitors/tvs, phonograph players, betamax vcrs, and
circuit
city divx players?\

All joking aside, I am seriously considering stockpiling at least 100 boxes
of bulbs. Probably get 70 boxes of 60W, 30 boxes of 40W.

That'd give me 400 bulbs, for about a hundred bucks. Should last the rest
of my life.

Would take a bit of space to store them, though. I wonder how they would do
in an attic?

Jon

i think they'd do just fine. I'm stacking mine on shelves in the barn.
I figger about 2020, they'll be worth about $5 a piece or more on ebay.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

"A. Baum" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:10:41 -0400, willshak wrote:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...an-light-bulb-
ge-stops-making-its-iconic-bulb-in/

I'm buying as many bulbs as I can. They will be worth millions some day.

I really doubt it. The CFLs keep getting better and they are cheaper to
operate. Keeping your head in the sand is your option though. How is
that 8088 computer working for you? DOS makes it so simple to use.

Hey! Watch your mouth! I still have one of those over in the corner,
there. (Really need to light it up some day, and see if the hard drive
still spins...)

--
aem sends...

I have a original IBM PC AND a VCR, will make someone a real deal if
they want 1 or both
Posted to alt.home.repair

"A. Baum" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:10:41 -0400, willshak wrote:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...an-light-bulb-
ge-stops-making-its-iconic-bulb-in/

I'm buying as many bulbs as I can. They will be worth millions some day.

I really doubt it. The CFLs keep getting better and they are cheaper to
operate. Keeping your head in the sand is your option though. How is
that 8088 computer working for you? DOS makes it so simple to use.

Hey! Watch your mouth! I still have one of those over in the corner,
there. (Really need to light it up some day, and see if the hard drive
still spins...)

I've got four 1/4 meg RAM sticks, would they fit or is your RAM built
on-board.. G
Posted to alt.home.repair

"A. Baum" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:10:41 -0400, willshak wrote:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...merican-light-

bulb-

ge-stops-making-its-iconic-bulb-in/

I'm buying as many bulbs as I can. They will be worth millions some
day.

I really doubt it. The CFLs keep getting better and they are cheaper
to operate. Keeping your head in the sand is your option though. How
is that 8088 computer working for you? DOS makes it so simple to use.

Hey! Watch your mouth! I still have one of those over in the corner,
there. (Really need to light it up some day, and see if the hard drive
still spins...)

--
aem sends...

I have a original IBM PC AND a VCR, will make someone a real deal if
they want 1 or both

BAH! I own 2 working IBM PS/1 models. An Everex 286, a DEC terminal, a
working Sony Betamax and a working Atari 2600 so there neener neener

I have a Commodore 64 stored away.
But the earliest video game player I have stored away is a Magnavox
Odyssey video game console still in its original box
That was the one where a clear plastic sheet was placed over the TV
screen for various video games, like "Pong" and skiing.
Very primative compared to now, but real fun when first introduced back
in 1972.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
willshak wrote:

I have a Commodore 64 stored away.

I still use my TI 99-4A from time to time. I like to hear the guy
from the mountain climbing game scream when one of the boulders hit him
(g).

But the earliest video game player I have stored away is a Magnavox
Odyssey video game console still in its original box
That was the one where a clear plastic sheet was placed over the TV
screen for various video games, like "Pong" and skiing.

My first one was the original Pong game with the controller you both
had to use.

Very primative compared to now, but real fun when first introduced back
in 1972.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
Posted to alt.home.repair

A. Baum wrote the following:
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:10:41 -0400, willshak wrote:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...an-light-bulb-

ge-stops-making-its-iconic-bulb-in/

I'm buying as many bulbs as I can. They will be worth millions some day.

Just like in the liquor prohibition age, organized crime will take over
the trafficking of illegal incands.
The gubmint will have to create a new anti-crime force, the Bulb
Enforcement Agency, or BEA.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-10-02, willshak wrote:

That was the one where a clear plastic sheet was placed over the TV

Winky-Dink!?

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"A. wrote in message
news On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:10:41 -0400, willshak wrote:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...an-light-bulb-
ge-stops-making-its-iconic-bulb-in/

I'm buying as many bulbs as I can. They will be worth millions some day.

I really doubt it. The CFLs keep getting better and they are cheaper to
operate. Keeping your head in the sand is your option though. How is
that 8088 computer working for you? DOS makes it so simple to use.

Hey! Watch your mouth! I still have one of those over in the corner,
there. (Really need to light it up some day, and see if the hard drive
still spins...)

wanna buy a 56K modem for it? I still have a 56K *real* (not winmodem) ISA
modem. Looks like I should have put it up for sale while it was still worth
anything.

Chuckle. That is why I never bothered to sell it. Kaypro suitcase
machine, which was actually born as an 8086, but I upgraded to a V20,
maxed out the ram when I found a card at a hamfest, replaced one of the
360 5.25" floppies with a then state-of-the art 720 3.5", and even found
a way to shoe-horn an MFM 10mb hard drive in there. Pretty hot stuff in
1986. By 1990, not worth a damn thing on the open market, and it had
enough sentimental value to me, that as long as I have a spare corner,
I'll keep it. If my 4 YO niece gets into computers when she grows up,
maybe I'll stick her with it, to eventually show to HER kids. All my
later computers of the 286/386/486/early pentium era are long gone, but
you always have a soft spot for the first one you played with the guts of.

No room inside for a modem, by the way. I used a 1200 external with it,
and my first cable was rat shack ribbon cable, paper clips, and masking
tape. Kaypro did NOT use a standard cable for their serial port, and it
took me months to find where to order one. But the damn thing did come
with full docs, just like the test equipment that was obviously the
source of the parts they used. Very 'old school' inside. Even has an
external fuse socket on the back, just like an old stereo amp.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"A. wrote in message
news On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:10:41 -0400, willshak wrote:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...an-light-bulb-
ge-stops-making-its-iconic-bulb-in/

I'm buying as many bulbs as I can. They will be worth millions some day.

I really doubt it. The CFLs keep getting better and they are cheaper to
operate. Keeping your head in the sand is your option though. How is
that 8088 computer working for you? DOS makes it so simple to use.

Hey! Watch your mouth! I still have one of those over in the corner,
there. (Really need to light it up some day, and see if the hard drive
still spins...)

I've got four 1/4 meg RAM sticks, would they fit or is your RAM built
on-board..G

Individual socketed chips, 9 chips per bank. Max 640k, once you found
the daughter board that fit in an ISA slot. Remember those long plastic
tubes the chips came in? I still have a couple full tubes stashed at
work, leftover visual aids from a class I used to teach once a year.
Some idiot threw out all the later memory chips, and the CPUs, that went
with it. I used to set them up on the front table in timeline fashion,
to explain Moore's law to these non-techies, and how the hardware they
were supporting for end-users had changed. Some of those later 486 and
early pentium chips could have been made into jewelry- those rows of
gold-plated pins were downright pretty.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:10:41 -0400, willshak wrote:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...merican-light-

bulb-
ge-stops-making-its-iconic-bulb-in/

I'm buying as many bulbs as I can. They will be worth millions some
day.

Do you have room? Isn't your investment storage unit filled to the
ceiling with CRT monitors/tvs, phonograph players, betamax vcrs, and
circuit city divx players?

I'll build a pole building with 20 foot tall electric fences covered
with razor wire.

Yeah, but you're still using DC. Being 1/2 mile from the power plant is
expensive.

There is a company in Japan that builds atomic powered AC generators down
to about one megawatt. I'll sell the bulbs and buy one. Wait,, if I sell
the bulbs I won't need AC.

Nah. Go with a diesel generator, if you're sticking to 19th century
technology.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"A. wrote in message
[...]

I've opened plenty of the "old machines" and marveled at them. Seems
like the hard drives weighed 10 lbs. and would make a good door stop.
Never started working PC's until the 286, just before the 386. Been
building my own machines ever since.

I've seen different items made from parts. Peoples imagination can be
funny.

Here are two "bugs".

http://www.snipe.net/wp-content/uplo...09/10/bugs.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote

All joking aside, I am seriously considering stockpiling at least 100
boxes of bulbs. Probably get 70 boxes of 60W, 30 boxes of 40W.

That'd give me 400 bulbs, for about a hundred bucks. Should last the rest
of my life.

Would take a bit of space to store them, though. I wonder how they would
do in an attic?

Jon

It will work, but makes no sense at all. I'd have agreed with you some
years ago, but I've been changing to CFL and like the light output now. Not
the sickly green of the past. And they save energy. If you get rid of your
old notions and try new bulbs, you may be surprised.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"A. Baum" wrote in message
news On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:10:41 -0400, willshak wrote:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...an-light-bulb-
ge-stops-making-its-iconic-bulb-in/

I'm buying as many bulbs as I can. They will be worth millions some day.

I really doubt it. The CFLs keep getting better and they are cheaper to
operate. Keeping your head in the sand is your option though. How is
that 8088 computer working for you? DOS makes it so simple to use.

Hey! Watch your mouth! I still have one of those over in the corner,
there. (Really need to light it up some day, and see if the hard drive
still spins...)

--
aem sends...

I have a original IBM PC AND a VCR, will make someone a real deal if
they want 1 or both

I have an original ("first day order") PC with expansion unit (with a whopping
10MB disk drive) and a "new" VCR.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"A. wrote in message
[...]

Hey, vcrs still have their place. Lotsa old movies for a quarter each at
garage sales. I think I still have 3 of them, but haven't lit them up in
at least a year.

Somewhere, I still have one of those back plates to convert a 5-slot
case from the original PC, into an 8? slot case so a modern motherboard
would fit in it.
--
aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"A. wrote in message
[...]

That's why we bought one. SWMBO has a number of titles for which there is no
DVD.

Somewhere, I still have one of those back plates to convert a 5-slot
case from the original PC, into an 8? slot case so a modern motherboard
would fit in it.

Retro-PC look? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"A. wrote in message
[...]

Do you remember the old ads for mainframes where artists made whole sets
of animals out of discrete components?

http://www.dvq.com/ads/honeywell_dm_4-70.jpg

http://www.dvq.com/ads/honeywell_115_dm_4_70.jpg

http://www.dvq.com/ads/acm/honeywell_acm_72.pdf

Found at:

http://www.dvq.com/oldcomp/oldads.htm

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

That's why we bought one. SWMBO has a number of titles for which
there is no DVD.

I believe there are places that transfer tapes to DVDs.
you get a better life out of a DVD,I believe,because tape suffers from
print-thru,each play degrades it a little bit,it accumulates over time.
since this is for personal use,you don't have any copyright violations.

there are even VCR/DVD recorder/players,that can do the transfer.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:

" wrote in
:

That's why we bought one. SWMBO has a number of titles for which
there is no DVD.

I believe there are places that transfer tapes to DVDs.
you get a better life out of a DVD,I believe,because tape suffers from
print-thru,each play degrades it a little bit,it accumulates over time.
since this is for personal use,you don't have any copyright violations.

there are even VCR/DVD recorder/players,that can do the transfer.

For personal use, yes, I think you can do the transfer yourself if you
can get past the copy protection scheme. But as far as hiring a service
provider to do it, I don't think so. I have a friend who owns a video
transfer service, and he legally has to limit it to home movies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-10-03, A. Baum wrote:

You can buy any one of several popular combo units that will dub back and
forth. I own a Sony RDR-VX 525 that has one touch dubbing both ways and
works very well.

Apparently, not everyone shares your enthusiasm:

http://tinyurl.com/22juyvs

Myself, I wouldn't give you 5 cents for a Sony CD/DVD product. The
last one I bought was junk! Cost $250 and didn't even work as well or
have as many features as my SILs $50 Walmart Emerson model. At one
point I got so ****ed at its crappy performance, I tossed out my 2nd
story window and watched it explode into a thousand pieces on my
concrete driveway. It was the ONLY time it ever did what it was
supposed to do.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
notbob wrote:

Myself, I wouldn't give you 5 cents for a Sony CD/DVD product. The
last one I bought was junk! Cost $250 and didn't even work as well or
have as many features as my SILs $50 Walmart Emerson model. At one
point I got so ****ed at its crappy performance, I tossed out my 2nd
story window and watched it explode into a thousand pieces on my
concrete driveway. It was the ONLY time it ever did what it was
supposed to do.

I still haven't forgiven Sony for the virus.. er "CD Copy Protection
program" that instituted a few years ago.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-10-03, A. Baum wrote:

I wouldn't want your 5 cents, that would leave you broke.

Gads! The horror! I've been publicly trounced. My ego crushed, my
self esteem in shambles. I'll never reach my life goals, no matter
how hard I try. My life is OVER!!

.....as if.

(try again, kid, after you've been weaned)

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 09:18:25 -0500, Jim Yanik wrote:

" wrote in
:

That's why we bought one. SWMBO has a number of titles for which
there is no DVD.

I believe there are places that transfer tapes to DVDs.
you get a better life out of a DVD,I believe,because tape suffers from
print-thru,each play degrades it a little bit,it accumulates over time.
since this is for personal use,you don't have any copyright violations.

I can't imagine a business that would admit to copyright violations.

there are even VCR/DVD recorder/players,that can do the transfer.

....of unprotected media.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2010 12:21 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 09:18:25 -0500, Jim wrote:

z wrote in
:

That's why we bought one. SWMBO has a number of titles for which
there is no DVD.

I believe there are places that transfer tapes to DVDs.
you get a better life out of a DVD,I believe,because tape suffers from
print-thru,each play degrades it a little bit,it accumulates over time.
since this is for personal use,you don't have any copyright violations.

I can't imagine a business that would admit to copyright violations.

there are even VCR/DVD recorder/players,that can do the transfer.

...of unprotected media.

For a library, converting to digital might make sense (and they have
ways to do it legally). For an individual, converting precious family
records might make sense. But for an individual, converting old movies
they may watch once a year when they are bored, makes no sense. If
somebody doesn't still have a working VCR in the stack, they are
available at thrift stores for five bucks. As I mentioned in a previous
post, tapes can be had at garage sales (and thrift stores) etc, quite
cheaply. Most libraries also have extensive VHS libraries, most of which
will never get updated to DVD because they are old releases. If you have
kids, old tapes and a VCR can be real cheap entertainment on rainy
weekends, snow days, etc.

--
aem sends...