Fiberglass or aluminum screen?

Old September 8th 10, 03:57 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fiberglass or aluminum screen?

Client wants me to replace her screen-door screen. I'm not sure whether
to use aluminum or fiberglass. What would you use, and why?

House is in Oakland, CA, mild climate. (It is exposed to PM sun.) The
old screen is AL and is literally in tatters in some places; I asked
owner how long ago it had been replaced, and they said 10 years ago,
which I find odd: how could aluminum screen deteriorate that much that
fast? I know that air pollution corrodes AL, but this is ridiculous. So
I'm thinking fiberglass. How long should it hold up here?

Old September 8th 10, 05:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.qualitywindowscreen.com/s...4f54121e2a0c69
Old September 8th 10, 05:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
Client wants me to replace her screen-door screen. I'm not sure whether to
use aluminum or fiberglass. What would you use, and why?

I've had both. This house is 30 years old and has the original fiberglass
screens. Every few years some get hosed down and they all look good. Last
house had aluminum and over time they corroded.

Old September 8th 10, 03:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 9:57*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Client wants me to replace her screen-door screen. I'm not sure whether
to use aluminum or fiberglass. What would you use, and why?

House is in Oakland, CA, mild climate. (It is exposed to PM sun.) The
old screen is AL and is literally in tatters in some places; I asked
owner how long ago it had been replaced, and they said 10 years ago,
which I find odd: how could aluminum screen deteriorate that much that
fast? I know that air pollution corrodes AL, but this is ridiculous. So
I'm thinking fiberglass. How long should it hold up here?

I use the pet-proof fiberglass. It's more expensive but my cat has
been climbing it and jumping down to the deck for years (that's how
she knocks) with absolutely no sign of wear and tear. I don't even
remember how many years ago I installed it.

Sometimes we hear her jump onto the screen and I go and peel her off.
Even that doesn't bother the screen.
Old September 8th 10, 03:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I did have a fling with aluminum for a screen door a cat liked to climb. *It
is more difficult to install neatly, lasted no better. *I went back to
fiberglass and told the kitty, "NO, NO". *A squirt bottle led to an
understanding of the command *

--

dadiOH

There is a special fiberglass screen material designed to be more
puncture-proof--I believe that there was a mention about cats. When we
had cats, I used some of that screen, and it worked fine. It was
thicker, stiffer and a bit more difficult to handle, though.

Northe
Old September 8th 10, 05:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 7, 6:57*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Client wants me to replace her screen-door screen. I'm not sure whether
to use aluminum or fiberglass. What would you use, and why?

House is in Oakland, CA, mild climate. (It is exposed to PM sun.) The
old screen is AL and is literally in tatters in some places; I asked
owner how long ago it had been replaced, and they said 10 years ago,
which I find odd: how could aluminum screen deteriorate that much that
fast? I know that air pollution corrodes AL, but this is ridiculous. So
I'm thinking fiberglass. How long should it hold up here?

Screen wire is only about .011
It corrodes from "both sides", thus there is very little material
available to sacrifice.

I used to prefer aluminum because of stiffness & lack of added fabric
stretching stress on frame but even in SoCal longevity wasnt great.

I switched to fiber "shade screen" for south, east & west window;
standard charcoal

check out

www.metroscreenworks.com/

or in your area

http://www.twpinc.com/

SS or bronze avaliable ($$$'s)

cheers
Bob

Old September 8th 10, 07:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/7/2010 8:09 PM Ed Pawlowski spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

Client wants me to replace her screen-door screen. I'm not sure
whether to use aluminum or fiberglass. What would you use, and
why?

I've had both. This house is 30 years old and has the original fiberglass
screens. Every few years some get hosed down and they all look good. Last
house had aluminum and over time they corroded.

So thanks all. Fiberglass it is (though the bronze stuff someone
suggested here looks interesting, it also looks expen$ive and I'm not
sure I can easily find it locally).

Next question: I've never actually installed screen on a door before,
and am wondering the best way to do it. It's a wooden door with wooden
screen mold, so I was figuring on buying new molding, stapling the
screen to the door, nailing on the molding, then trimming the excess
screen to the mold with a knife. Is this how it's done?

I really can't see any other way of getting a good tight fit. The screen
mold is only about 1/2" wide, doesn't give you much room to stretch the
screen without having some excess to trim off. I'd think with fiberglass
this should be pretty easy, as it should slice off easily in one pass.

Old September 9th 10, 05:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 8, 10:49*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 9/7/2010 8:09 PM Ed Pawlowski spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

[...]

The link I posted was for a company in Berkeley...... that's pretty
close.

If you choose to use the SS or bronze, I would suggest a first try on
the wooden door frame with cheaper aluminum screen

or

take the door to a screen shop that has experience with wooden frames.

The SS is $5 / sqft. yikes!

comes in 36" & 48" widths, maybe you can get two doors' worth out of
the 48"?

cheers
Bob