Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remodeling Question

I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom. It is small.

Right now I have two sinks. I could sure use more counter top space and
was wondering what to do.

Would you eliminate one sink, or would it be best to keep two sinks for
resale value, even though I plan to stay here?

Thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom. It is small.

Right now I have two sinks. I could sure use more counter top space
and was wondering what to do.

Would you eliminate one sink, or would it be best to keep two sinks
for resale value, even though I plan to stay here?

TWO sinks in a SMALL master bath?

Very, very few (like maybe seven) master baths in the whole country have two
sinks and in five of those the second sink is used as a urinal.

Ditch the second sink and replace it with a plant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/2/2010 7:25 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Kate wrote:
I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom. It is small.

Right now I have two sinks. I could sure use more counter top space
and was wondering what to do.

Would you eliminate one sink, or would it be best to keep two sinks
for resale value, even though I plan to stay here?

TWO sinks in a SMALL master bath?

Very, very few (like maybe seven) master baths in the whole country have two
sinks and in five of those the second sink is used as a urinal.

Your landlord might be a redneck if you tell him that you got a leak
in the sink and he says: "Go right ahead." (Foxworthy, I think)

Ditch the second sink and replace it with a plant.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 6:42*am, Kate wrote:
I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom. *It is small.

Right now I have two sinks. I could sure use more counter top space and
was wondering what to do.

Would you eliminate one sink, or would it be best to keep two sinks for
resale value, even though I plan to stay here?

Thanks.

Kate

Hard to say. If 2 sinks in the master is common in your area in
similarly priced homes I'd try to keep them both. How about one of
those shelve systems that straddles the toilet?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/2/2010 5:01 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Sep 2, 6:42 am, wrote:
I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom. It is small.

Right now I have two sinks. I could sure use more counter top space and
was wondering what to do.

Would you eliminate one sink, or would it be best to keep two sinks for
resale value, even though I plan to stay here?

Thanks.

Kate

Hard to say. If 2 sinks in the master is common in your area in
similarly priced homes I'd try to keep them both. How about one of
those shelve systems that straddles the toilet?

Yes, that is called a Banjo top, and I have one of those.

We do see a lot of homes with two sinks in the master bathroom.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 6:42 am, *wrote:
I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom. *It is small.

Right now I have two sinks. I could sure use more counter top space and
was wondering what to do.

Would you eliminate one sink, or would it be best to keep two sinks for
resale value, even though I plan to stay here?

Thanks.

Kate

Hard to say. *If 2 sinks in the master is common in your area in
similarly priced homes I'd try to keep them both. *How about one of
those shelve systems that straddles the toilet?

Yes, that is called a Banjo top, and I have one of those.

We do see a lot of homes with two sinks in the master bathroom.

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Well if you take one out then you do run the risk that a buyer would
see that as a negative. I know we use both of ours at times. I'm
looking at remodeling our lake house master and I'm considering
switching it to a large shower with no tub. But still keeping the
twin sinks. No matter what you do, there will be somebody that would
prefer it differently.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 6:25*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Kate wrote:
I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom. *It is small.

Right now I have two sinks. I could sure use more counter top space
and was wondering what to do.

Would you eliminate one sink, or would it be best to keep two sinks
for resale value, even though I plan to stay here?

TWO sinks in a SMALL master bath?

Very, very few (like maybe seven) master baths in the whole country have two
sinks and in five of those the second sink is used as a urinal.

I don't believe any of the houses we looked at had a single sink in
the master bath. While a single sink wouldn't turn me off (a small
master would), it would be an immediate NO SALE for SWMBO.

Ditch the second sink and replace it with a plant.

Depends on the size of the counter, IMO. If it looks like they were
crammed in just to put a mark in that check-box, then I'd dump the
second sink. If both sinks are usable simultaneously, I'd keep them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom. It is small.

Right now I have two sinks. I could sure use more counter top space and
was wondering what to do.

Would you eliminate one sink, or would it be best to keep two sinks for
resale value, even though I plan to stay here?

Thanks.

Kate

If it is a counter with 2 sinks sunk in it - maybe make a cover for one
of the sinks that makes it usable counter space?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom. It is small.

Right now I have two sinks. I could sure use more counter top space and
was wondering what to do.

Would you eliminate one sink, or would it be best to keep two sinks for
resale value, even though I plan to stay here?

Thanks.

Kate

What all the gear and labor for two new sinks would cost is worth having one
nice one put in with nice hardware. We replaced two with a granite top, and
a granite rock sink, and Moen fixtures rather than do two in a rather small
countertop.

It's your house. Like your floor, do what YOU want. A single sink isn't
going to kill a deal on your house, and if you're staying, what's the fuss?
Do something real nice for yourself. You're going to be looking at it for a
long time. Never say, "Oh, I wish I would have ............"

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Kate wrote:

I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom. It is small.

Right now I have two sinks. I could sure use more counter top space and
was wondering what to do.

Would you eliminate one sink, or would it be best to keep two sinks for
resale value, even though I plan to stay here?

Thanks.

Kate

What, are you retarded? Of all the lame ass **** that comes up on here,
the one that fries me the most is this insane worship of the God of
Resale Value. If you're staying there, **** the resale value. Put in
lime green shag carpet. Use T1-11 for flooring like my friend's old boss
did. Paint the shingles pink.

Tear out the worthless-to-you second sink and give yourself the
countertop room you want. Sheesh. I bet you bought a new car with
leather seats and then instead of enjoying them, you covered them with
plastic to protect the Almighty Resale Value, didn't you?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 2, 12:43*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*Kate wrote:
[...]

In spite of your lurid language, Smitty, I totally agree with you. The
resale myth is done, gone, caput, with the housing market the way it
is. People badly need some reality checks these days as the economy
staggers along. McMansions are a drag on the market, and like it or
not, practicality and frugality along with common sense may just be
the wave of the future.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

*Kate wrote:
[...]

"Resale value" is quite important. This should be obvious to everyone
in the current home sales climate. If you lost you job and had to
relocate you'd better believe "resale value" is important. If there
are a thousand houses on the market in your area, it doesn't take much
to knock your house out of the running. *Anything* abnormal for your
price range can do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
[...]

Kate, Here we have two somewhat extreme positions. As is usually the case
the median is the place to be.

Only a fool would completely ignore resale value as they remodel. Not
having something you want as an offering to the goddess of resale is about
as bad.

My wife does not do a lot of make up. Many women do. Homes in my area
where there is room for 5-6 foot vanity that are meant to appeal to working
couples are split about 50/50 between a double bowl and a single bowl with
make up area. Not having either when there is room for it is a big mistake.
One sorta offsets the other. I could easily trade the second bowl for
space. We can both use the same bowl but she needs to keep her crap out of
my way. -

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 2:33*pm, keith wrote:

"Resale value" is quite important. *This should be obvious to everyone
in the current home sales climate. *If you lost you job and had to
relocate you'd better believe "resale value" is important. *If there
are a thousand houses on the market in your area, it doesn't take much
to knock your house out of the running. **Anything* abnormal for your
price range can do it.

Provided your house is just another unit in a subdivision. I'm in a
unique house on two acres. The selling points a

Two acres
Good freeway access
Good schools
A 20x40 outbuilding (currently outfitted as a workshop)
Three-season room
Loads of charm:
http://www.adi.com/~hamilton/house/o...ontOfHouse.jpg

The negatives:

Only 1200 square feet (including that three-season room)
Only one bathroom
Miniscule kitchen

Anybody who would consider my house wouldn't be deterred by
it not being comparable to other houses in its price range.

Everybody's circumstances are different.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 6:25*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Kate wrote:
I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom. *It is small.

Right now I have two sinks. I could sure use more counter top space
and was wondering what to do.

Would you eliminate one sink, or would it be best to keep two sinks
for resale value, even though I plan to stay here?

TWO sinks in a SMALL master bath?

Very, very few (like maybe seven) master baths in the whole country have two
sinks and in five of those the second sink is used as a urinal.

Ditch the second sink and replace it with a plant.

? WHAT? I don't know where you live but almost ALL master baths in
new homes have two sinks and many of them have a built in vanity area
on one with the other being several inches higher.

That being said, if it is a SMALL master bath, having the additional
counter space may be a better way to go and would probably do more for
the resale value than not having enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
[...]

Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com- Hide quoted text -

That final part will never happen as long as you both share the same
counter top. I realized that fact early in our marriage (35 years and
still going strong) so now we have separate sinks and separate
counters. Hers on one side of the bath and mine on the other. Do I
need to mention that hers has more than 3 times the counter space and
an area for her knees while she is putting on her face? I also raised
mine a good 6 inches higher so its more comfortable to use. Oh, and
none of it was done for resale value but entirely for our own benefit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobR" wrote in message

Kate wrote:
[...]

--- reply--

Bob just because you failed to train the spouse does not mean that Kate or
I are incapable of that task. -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 2, 5:08*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"BobR" wrote in message

Kate wrote:
[...]

I are incapable of that task. *-- Hide quoted text -

You are absolutely right, I stand corrected. Just let me know when
you think you have accomplished that feat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/2/2010 1:43 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

No need to get abusive, Smitty. Kate has been coming here hat in hand,
never pretending to be anything but a newbie, and most of us have been
practicing our 'plays nice with others' skills with her. The learning
curve has to start somewhere, etc.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

BobR wrote:

Very, very few (like maybe seven) master baths in the whole country
have two sinks and in five of those the second sink is used as a
urinal.

Ditch the second sink and replace it with a plant.

? WHAT? I don't know where you live but almost ALL master baths in
new homes have two sinks and many of them have a built in vanity area
on one with the other being several inches higher.

That being said, if it is a SMALL master bath, having the additional
counter space may be a better way to go and would probably do more for
the resale value than not having enough.

I live in a 3000' home with four baths*. None are dual.

-----
* Kinda misleading. It's actually two 1500' duplexes converted into one
single-family residence. Further, the family consists of one (me), but that
may change this week-end as my current squeeze moves in.

I say "may" because she's driving back from Buffalo, NY and, who knows, she
may have met a 5'4" Spanish dance instructor named Gomez who sports a
pencil-thin mustache and wears patent leather shoes.

It's happened before.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 13:09:32 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Sep 2, 2:33*pm, keith wrote:

"Resale value" is quite important. *This should be obvious to everyone
in the current home sales climate. *If you lost you job and had to
relocate you'd better believe "resale value" is important. *If there
are a thousand houses on the market in your area, it doesn't take much
to knock your house out of the running. **Anything* abnormal for your
price range can do it.

Provided your house is just another unit in a subdivision. I'm in a
unique house on two acres. The selling points a

Are you saying that out of 1000 other homes in your community there isn't one
that's comparable to yours?

Two acres
Good freeway access
Good schools
A 20x40 outbuilding (currently outfitted as a workshop)
Three-season room
Loads of charm:
http://www.adi.com/~hamilton/house/o...ontOfHouse.jpg

The negatives:

Only 1200 square feet (including that three-season room)
Only one bathroom
Miniscule kitchen

Anybody who would consider my house wouldn't be deterred by
it not being comparable to other houses in its price range.

Exactly. The OP currently has two sinks in the master bath. This is very
likely typical in the price range that house is in. It would be stupid to do
anything "different" that could be a negative. Your house, OTOH, is in a
different market. At 1200ft^2 a prospective buyer wouldn't likely expect two
sinks, or even a master bath (particularly since you only have one .

Everybody's circumstances are different.

Sure, but that wasn't the point. The OP *has* two sinks now and is wondering
if it's smart to delete one. It's not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 18:37:27 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

BobR wrote:

Very, very few (like maybe seven) master baths in the whole country
have two sinks and in five of those the second sink is used as a
urinal.

Ditch the second sink and replace it with a plant.

? WHAT? I don't know where you live but almost ALL master baths in
new homes have two sinks and many of them have a built in vanity area
on one with the other being several inches higher.

That being said, if it is a SMALL master bath, having the additional
counter space may be a better way to go and would probably do more for
the resale value than not having enough.

I live in a 3000' home with four baths*. None are dual.

The two of us live in a 2600ft^2 house with three bedrooms and four bathrooms
(one a half). The master-master has a dual. The guest room en-suite bathroom
does not.

-----
* Kinda misleading. It's actually two 1500' duplexes converted into one
single-family residence. Further, the family consists of one (me), but that
may change this week-end as my current squeeze moves in.

Uh-oh. There goes the neighborhood.

I say "may" because she's driving back from Buffalo, NY and, who knows, she
may have met a 5'4" Spanish dance instructor named Gomez who sports a
pencil-thin mustache and wears patent leather shoes.

Ah, a three-way. You're going to need *two* more sinks.

It's happened before.

TMI.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"keith" wrote

Very, very few (like maybe seven) master baths in the whole country have
two
sinks and in five of those the second sink is used as a urinal.

I don't believe any of the houses we looked at had a single sink in
the master bath. While a single sink wouldn't turn me off (a small
master would), it would be an immediate NO SALE for SWMBO.

Never saw the fascination for two sinks. "When I'm in the bathroom, I don't
want company, nor do I want to be company for another part. In 45 years of
marriage, I don't recall any conflicts over sink use. YMMV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"keith" wrote

"Resale value" is quite important. This should be obvious to everyone
in the current home sales climate. If you lost you job and had to
relocate you'd better believe "resale value" is important. If there
are a thousand houses on the market in your area, it doesn't take much
to knock your house out of the running. *Anything* abnormal for your
price range can do it.

I've been in my house 29 years. I'll be damned if I'm going to compromise
years of my pleasure to get an extra $1200 when I sell to move to the
nursing home.

Sure, I'd not remove the kitchen to put in a pool table, but a second sink
in an older home is not a deal breaker, IMO. Millions of homes do not even
have a master bath and they still sell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 20:06:34 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"keith" wrote

Very, very few (like maybe seven) master baths in the whole country have
two
sinks and in five of those the second sink is used as a urinal.

I don't believe any of the houses we looked at had a single sink in
the master bath. While a single sink wouldn't turn me off (a small
master would), it would be an immediate NO SALE for SWMBO.

Never saw the fascination for two sinks. "When I'm in the bathroom, I don't
want company, nor do I want to be company for another part. In 45 years of
marriage, I don't recall any conflicts over sink use. YMMV.

What I want and what you want isn't what everyone else wants. I don't care
either. SWMBO certainly does. Like I said earlier, a single sink would have
been a deal killer when we bought this house. OTOH, the deal killer for me
would have been no shower (she wanted the tub, even though she's never used
it). Again, this is dependant on the level of the house. I wouldn't expect
either in a smaller house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 20:11:49 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"keith" wrote

"Resale value" is quite important. This should be obvious to everyone
in the current home sales climate. If you lost you job and had to
relocate you'd better believe "resale value" is important. If there
are a thousand houses on the market in your area, it doesn't take much
to knock your house out of the running. *Anything* abnormal for your
price range can do it.

I've been in my house 29 years. I'll be damned if I'm going to compromise
years of my pleasure to get an extra $1200 when I sell to move to the
nursing home.

That's *not* the point.

Sure, I'd not remove the kitchen to put in a pool table, but a second sink
in an older home is not a deal breaker, IMO. Millions of homes do not even
have a master bath and they still sell.

That's *not* the point.
Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

[...]

You just have to understand Smitty. He's just being ....................
Smitty.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobR" wrote in message
On Sep 2, 6:25 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

reply: I agree. Saying the space was smallish, I would rather have the
extra counter top rather than a small top with no room for anything because
of two sinks. How often in reality are both the sinks used at the same
time? We recently remodeled the bathroom, and changed from two sinks to two
sinks. There was a long countertop with two sinks. We made that one sink,
then added another sink on the opposite side of the bathroom where there was
a shelf. It worked our great, but our master bath is "large". Large
bathtub, two countertop sinks mirrors medicine cabinets etc, toilet, and
large tile shower. With a smallish space, crowding too many things in there
really affects the whole ambiance of the room. I'd go with the single sink.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

Never saw the fascination for two sinks. "When I'm in the bathroom, I
don't want company, nor do I want to be company for another part. In 45
years of marriage, I don't recall any conflicts over sink use. YMMV.

I'm with you. We do have two sinks, but they are on different sides of the
bathroom. Even when I did have residences with two sinks, how many times
were both used at the same time? Right now, rarely is the time when both
sink/vanities are used at the same time. It's kind of a human condition
thing. When I'm in there, I want to be alone. When she's in there, I'd
rather be doing something else. Every once in a while, we need to get in
there at the same time, but not often.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

Never saw the fascination for two sinks. "When I'm in the bathroom, I
don't want company, nor do I want to be company for another part. In 45
years of marriage, I don't recall any conflicts over sink use. YMMV.

I'm with you. We do have two sinks, but they are on different sides of the
bathroom. Even when I did have residences with two sinks, how many times
were both used at the same time? Right now, rarely is the time when both
sink/vanities are used at the same time. It's kind of a human condition
thing. When I'm in there, I want to be alone. When she's in there, I'd
rather be doing something else. Every once in a while, we need to get in
there at the same time, but not often.

I just remembered the realtor's spiel in the first house I saw with 2
sinks [1971 or so]. The second sink was for soaking undies and
pantyhose.

We didn't buy that one. I've been married 3 times and none of my
wives ever had a need to soak delicates in a sink. Not saying
nobody does-- but there isn't a lot of silk out there anymore.

Back to Kate-- Did you ever use/want/admire the 2 sinks. If not- get
yourself some more counter space.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 7:09*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Steve B" wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote

[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

My wife and I both work. We sometimes end up using both sinks in the
morning. We definately go to bed at the same time so we regularly are
using both sinks at the end of the day. As to the op's situation,
it's really hard to say without some pictures. "Small" is subjective.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not meaning to abuse Kate, just feel pretty strongly about my position,
and when I feel strongly I speak strongly. Nobody *ever* talked about
"resale value" until the real estate speculation game started. You
bought a house, you lived in it til you died, one of your kids moved in
and raised his family there. You did whatever the hell you wanted to do
to make it comfortable for *you and your family, period.*

OTOH, If Kate's too timid to make her own house comfortable for herself
without worrying about some fictitious future owner's issues, maybe she
*should* be jostled a little. Who knows but what some future buyer (if
there ever is one) wouldn't walk in and say the same thing Kate did:
"sheesh, this bathroom is way too small for two sinks."
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
keith wrote:

I don't believe any of the houses we looked at had a single sink in
the master bath. While a single sink wouldn't turn me off (a small
master would), it would be an immediate NO SALE for SWMBO.

I don't believe it. I believe she'd want to redo the bathroom to add a
second sink, but I don't believe she'd refuse to buy an otherwise
perfect house because of a single sink.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 23:43:41 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
keith wrote:

I don't believe any of the houses we looked at had a single sink in
the master bath. While a single sink wouldn't turn me off (a small
master would), it would be an immediate NO SALE for SWMBO.

I don't believe it.

Ah, so you know my wife better than I. You went house hunting with her twice
in the last three years. what a maroon

I believe she'd want to redo the bathroom to add a
second sink, but I don't believe she'd refuse to buy an otherwise
perfect house because of a single sink.

You're wrong. She'd never "want to redo the bathroom" in a new house.
Apparently she's not alone because *every* house in our price range had two
sinks in the master. A single would have simple elicited a "next", just as
Formica counters would have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 23:38:45 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You obviously don't get out much. Everything we've ever done on a house was
measured against "how (un)saleable does this make the house" yardstick.

OTOH, If Kate's too timid to make her own house comfortable for herself
without worrying about some fictitious future owner's issues, maybe she
*should* be jostled a little. Who knows but what some future buyer (if
there ever is one) wouldn't walk in and say the same thing Kate did:
"sheesh, this bathroom is way too small for two sinks."

Do you paint you walls black hoping that you'll find the one similar loon that
will think it's a pretty shade?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
Everything we've ever done on a house was
measured against "how (un)saleable does this make the house" yardstick.

Do you paint you walls black hoping that you'll find the one similar loon
that
will think it's a pretty shade?

Why not? If you like black wall, go ahead. Sure it would make it harder to
sell as is, but for $20 and a couple of hours work, it will have a fresh
paint job come sales time. Meantime, you got years of joy from the funereal
setting in your own home.

If you move about the country every two years, it may pay to look at resale
value when making renovations. But to deprive yourself of a feature for
years just because the house may sell a bit easier 20 years from now seems
rather foolish to me. Sort of like buying an appliance and never using it
because it will wear out.

A house is just another "thing" or "possession", albeit a costly one. It
can be taken away in an instant. There are far more important things
(mostly people) in life than getting an extra couple thousand dollars many
years from now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

You obviously don't get out much. Everything we've ever done on a house was
measured against "how (un)saleable does this make the house" yardstick.

So you're flippers. Kate isn't. She plans to stay indefinitely. And she
doesn't want the second sink. She wants more counter space. So your
advice to her is to live with a useless sink and too little counter
space for the next 20 years, just because your wife would walk away from
the house? Seriously, that is insane advice, and I hope Kate doesn't
take it.

Do you paint you walls black hoping that you'll find the one similar loon that
will think it's a pretty shade?

g.f. loves dark, bold colors, and every room is painted such in her/our
place. I don't give a rat's ass whether anyone else likes it or not.
When we bought the place, every wall in every room was painted the same
particularly gruesome shade of yellow. We bought it and painted. Isn't
that what people do? Change things to their own liking? If we ever sell
it, and someone walks away because they can't live in a house without
off-white everywhere and are afraid to paint, well, so what?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote
aemeijers wrote:
Kate wrote:

I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom. It is small.
Right now I have two sinks. I could sure use more counter top space
and
was wondering what to do.

What, are you retarded? Of all the lame ass **** that comes up on here,

No need to get abusive, Smitty. Kate has been coming here hat in hand,
never pretending to be anything but a newbie, and most of us have been
practicing our 'plays nice with others' skills with her. The learning
curve has to start somewhere, etc.

Not meaning to abuse Kate, just feel pretty strongly about my position,
and when I feel strongly I speak strongly. Nobody *ever* talked about

Might want to tone it down a bit. She isnt retarded for asking an opinion.
She's getting information from many of us on what we think, and adding it up
to make a decision. Other times, you get the 'never used this product, have
any done so and if so what did you find' (I posted one of those just today
on an exterior wood preservative brand).

What I think would help, is if we had a pic of the bathroom in question with
some dimensions. All we know now is she wants to preserve resale value as a
contingincy she may need and is in an area where the double sink seems
common.

That she doesnt 'plan to move' doesnt mean she may never need to do so and
she is wisely asking for input (but will decide herself).

I didn't bother to ask any here on resale value as I look over a bathroom
re-do. I need to make it wheelchair accessable. That means the tub has to
move to along the exterior wall and have a special lip and closing doors so
I can have both. Tiolet and sink have to move to where the tub/shower is
now. The fact is done right, it will have a better resale value but I'm
looking at it as what I need to do so I don't have to move to a resthome
because i can't get in my own bathroom in a few years.

I'd be more worried about her postage stamp kitchen on resale than a second
sink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
" wrote:

You obviously don't get out much. Everything we've ever done on a
house was measured against "how (un)saleable does this make the
house" yardstick.

So you're flippers. Kate isn't. She plans to stay indefinitely. And
she doesn't want the second sink. She wants more counter space. So
your advice to her is to live with a useless sink and too little
counter space for the next 20 years, just because your wife would
walk away from the house? Seriously, that is insane advice, and I
hope Kate doesn't take it.

How about a compromise? Couldn't the extra sink be covered with a scrap
piece of plywood?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Why not? If you like black wall, go ahead. Sure it would make it harder

sell as is, but for $20 and a couple of hours work, it will have a fresh
paint job come sales time. Meantime, you got years of joy from the
funereal setting in your own home.

Agreed. We both plan to be carried out of this place. I couldn't care less
about resale value. We're childfree, so if any of DH's family are still
alive when we kick (I'm an only child of only children), then we might leave
it to them. Most likely, however, the Animal Shelter will receive the house
and whatever $ we have left.