Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snow Blower Operation Question

I have a new Yard Man MTD two stage snow thrower with the typical six
forward and two reverse transmission. It has the friction wheel type power
train.

Can the transmission be shifted from one forward speed to another on the
fly (like an automobile) or should the device be motionless before
selecting a different speed? The owner's manual is silent on this subject.

--
Tony Sivori
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 5, 12:24*pm, Tony Sivori wrote:
I have a new Yard Man MTD two stage snow thrower with the typical six
forward and two reverse transmission. It has the friction wheel type power
train.

Can the transmission be shifted from one forward speed to another on the
fly (like an automobile) or should the device be motionless before
selecting a different speed? The owner's manual is silent on this subject..

--
Tony Sivori

If I interpret your description correctly, the transmission should
only be shifted when running, except for shifting speed range,
assuming it is a gear change or belt shift. Call customer service at
MTD to be sure.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

In news Tony Sivori typed:
I have a new Yard Man MTD two stage snow thrower with the
typical six forward and two reverse transmission. It has
the friction wheel type power train.

Can the transmission be shifted from one forward speed to
another on the fly (like an automobile) or should the
device be motionless before selecting a different speed?
The owner's manual is silent on this subject.

On the fly shifting will cause faster wear on the internal drive wheel, but
due to slippage, nothing real "bad" wll happen except it might change
directions faster than you're ready for. Same for shifting speeds, I'd
imagine.
OTOH, I've never seen an overly worn drive wheel that wasn't aged nearly
beyond use anyway so how much the extra wear is turns into anybody's guess,
I guess. On mine, I can't shift at all unless I squeeze the clutch anyway
so on the fly shifting isn't possible in the first place. Some people don't
like it, but I think the rubber drive wheel is great; it allows for smooth
starts at all times; no jerky starts.

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Sep 5, 11:24*am, Tony Sivori wrote:
I have a new Yard Man MTD two stage snow thrower with the typical six
forward and two reverse transmission. It has the friction wheel type power
train.

Can the transmission be shifted from one forward speed to another on the
fly (like an automobile) or should the device be motionless before
selecting a different speed? The owner's manual is silent on this subject..

--
Tony Sivori

==
I always have pulled the clutch before shifting...saves the spinning
wheel from slipping on the disc and possibly polishing it so that it
doesn't retain its grip. Definitely so when shifting into reverse. I
often wondered why the manufacturers came up with that rotating wheel
on disc arrangement although it does work.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2010 8:12 PM, Roy wrote:
On Sep 5, 11:24 am, Tony wrote:
I have a new Yard Man MTD two stage snow thrower with the typical six
forward and two reverse transmission. It has the friction wheel type power
train.

Can the transmission be shifted from one forward speed to another on the
fly (like an automobile) or should the device be motionless before
selecting a different speed? The owner's manual is silent on this subject.

--
Tony Sivori

==
I always have pulled the clutch before shifting...saves the spinning
wheel from slipping on the disc and possibly polishing it so that it
doesn't retain its grip. Definitely so when shifting into reverse. I
often wondered why the manufacturers came up with that rotating wheel
on disc arrangement although it does work.
==

Uh, what clutch? I also have one of those generic MTD 2-stage units, and
nothing resembling a clutch on it. I just let off the throttle lever and
shift- having only two hands, I can't work all 3 levers at once. Left
hand auger drive, right hand wheel power, and shift lever on the
'dashboard' thingie in the middle.

That reminds me- I probably oughta try and fire the thing up tomorrow.
Never got around to moving it to the shed last spring, so hopefully a
summer in the garage kept the rodents from using it as a nut storehouse
again. And since the garage never gets over 100 degrees or so, unlike
the metal shed, hopefully the volatiles in the gas didn't all cook off
and turn it to sludge. (can't believe the thing doesn't even have a fuel
tank shutoff, much less a drain for the tank.)

--
aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Sep 5, 6:53*pm, aemeijers wrote:
On 9/5/2010 8:12 PM, Roy wrote:

On Sep 5, 11:24 am, Tony *wrote:
[...]

Well MY 2 stage snowblower has an engagement clutch.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 8:53*pm, aemeijers wrote:
On 9/5/2010 8:12 PM, Roy wrote:

On Sep 5, 11:24 am, Tony *wrote:
[...]

That right hand wheel power lever sounds like what many would choose
to call a clutch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 7:53*pm, aemeijers wrote:
On 9/5/2010 8:12 PM, Roy wrote:

On Sep 5, 11:24 am, Tony *wrote:
[...]

You're right (kind of) some have the belt tightening idler off (near)
the drive shaft...and all simplified drives have the drive plate that
moves in or out from the friction disk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2010 8:12 PM, Roy wrote:

On Sep 5, 11:24 am, Tony *wrote:
[...]

to call a clutch.- Hide quoted text -

Yep and it actually _is_ a clutch. It lifts teh drive puck off the
friction wheel thus disengaging the drive shaft from the wheels. That
is a definition of a clutch.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2010 8:29 AM, wrote:
On Sep 5, 8:53 pm, wrote:
On 9/5/2010 8:12 PM, Roy wrote:

On Sep 5, 11:24 am, Tony wrote:
[...]

Duh! Slaps forehead. Now I get it. In my non-gearhead mind, squeeze
harder and it goes faster = throttle. But there is also an engine speed
control down low on the machine, so the right lever is indeed a
normally-open clutch. I'm used to the normally-closed kind, so it didn't
sink in. Thank you for being gentle.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 17:12:48 -0700 (PDT), Roy
wrote:

On Sep 5, 11:24Â*am, Tony Sivori wrote:
I have a new Yard Man MTD two stage snow thrower with the typical six
forward and two reverse transmission. It has the friction wheel type power
train.

Can the transmission be shifted from one forward speed to another on the
fly (like an automobile) or should the device be motionless before
selecting a different speed? The owner's manual is silent on this subject.

--
Tony Sivori

==
I always have pulled the clutch before shifting...saves the spinning
wheel from slipping on the disc and possibly polishing it so that it
doesn't retain its grip. Definitely so when shifting into reverse. I
often wondered why the manufacturers came up with that rotating wheel
on disc arrangement although it does work.
==

It was used back in the early 1900s on the "orient buckboard" -AKA
"Waltham" cyclecar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 20:53:05 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

On 9/5/2010 8:12 PM, Roy wrote:
On Sep 5, 11:24 am, Tony wrote:
[...]

Every one I've seen has an "engage" lever for both the auger and the
wheel drive. Release the wheel-drive "engage" and use that hand to
move the shift lever, then grab the "engage" lever again to get
moving.
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Uh, what clutch? I also have one of those generic MTD 2-stage units, and
nothing resembling a clutch on it. I just let off the throttle lever and
shift- having only two hands, I can't work all 3 levers at once. Left
hand auger drive, right hand wheel power, and shift lever on the
'dashboard' thingie in the middle.

That's what I've got. However it is possible to keep the right hand on the
drive lever, and shift with the left hand. Because the auger stays engaged
until the drive lever is released.

That reminds me- I probably oughta try and fire the thing up tomorrow.
Never got around to moving it to the shed last spring, so hopefully a
summer in the garage kept the rodents from using it as a nut storehouse
again. And since the garage never gets over 100 degrees or so, unlike
the metal shed, hopefully the volatiles in the gas didn't all cook off
and turn it to sludge. (can't believe the thing doesn't even have a fuel
tank shutoff, much less a drain for the tank.)

And no air filter.

--
Tony Sivori
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 1:24*pm, Tony Sivori wrote:
I have a new Yard Man MTD two stage snow thrower with the typical six
forward and two reverse transmission. It has the friction wheel type power
train.

Can the transmission be shifted from one forward speed to another on the
fly (like an automobile) or should the device be motionless before
selecting a different speed? The owner's manual is silent on this subject..

--
Tony Sivori

Shifting from one forward speed to another will not harm the machine.
However, don't shift from forward gears to reverse without stopping.

Hank

Question re snow blower friction plate? terry Home Repair 7 January 6th 09 03:35 AM
Leaf Blower as Snow Blower [email protected] Home Ownership 6 January 8th 08 01:42 AM
Snow-blower question? ? ? Ray Jenkins Home Repair 7 September 20th 04 07:21 PM
Help with snow blower J Home Repair 2 January 6th 04 01:50 AM
Generator or snow blower...that is the question Wade Lippman Home Ownership 0 September 8th 03 01:19 AM