Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hand tools -- Store with Spring compressed -- or not?

I very seldom use "garden pruners," that's the wife's problem....

But, I was putting away a pair of expensive Swiss pruners that she
left on the picnic table this afternoon and I automatically "locked"
them in the closed position with the spring compressed.

But, I randomly wondered if that would significantly shorten the life
of the spring and if it would be better to store them with the the
"jaws open," or uncompressed.

Probably makes so little difference it's not worth considering, but
just one of those random thoughts that bug you at times.

Opinions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"tim birr" wrote in message
I very seldom use "garden pruners," that's the wife's problem....

But, I was putting away a pair of expensive Swiss pruners that she
left on the picnic table this afternoon and I automatically "locked"
them in the closed position with the spring compressed.

But, I randomly wondered if that would significantly shorten the life
of the spring and if it would be better to store them with the the
"jaws open," or uncompressed.

Probably makes so little difference it's not worth considering, but
just one of those random thoughts that bug you at times.

Opinions?

Simply as a safety measure I would store them closed and locked.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 5, 3:54*pm, tim birr wrote:
I very seldom use "garden pruners," *that's the wife's problem....

But, I was putting away a pair of expensive Swiss pruners that she
left on the picnic table this afternoon and I automatically "locked"
them in the closed position with the spring compressed.

But, I randomly wondered if that would significantly shorten the life
of the spring and if it would be better to store them with the the
"jaws open," or uncompressed.

Probably makes so little difference it's not worth considering, but
just one of those random thoughts that bug you at times.

Opinions?

makes so little difference it's not worth considering,

totally, I bought my dad a pair of Swiss (Felco?) made bypass pruners
in 1971.

Of course, when he died I got back all the cool tools I bought for him
(inlcuding the pruners)

He stored them for nearly 20 years closed & I've stored them closed
with no loss of spring force.

So next year they'll be 40 years sold, still working fine with the
thin blade replaced in 2005.

Plus they store neater when closed.

cheers
Bob

just one of those random thoughts that bug you at times.

I understand

Man accidentally shoots self in hand at gun store Libby Loo Metalworking 0 March 26th 09 03:48 AM
using hand tools to build a woodworking work bench instead of power tools rank beginner Home Repair 7 August 10th 07 12:17 PM
tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 08:34 PM
Hand spring coiler Lamb Metalworking 0 August 16th 05 09:13 AM
Hand Tool Behavior - The Psychology of Hand Tools charlie b Woodworking 5 August 1st 04 02:14 AM