Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring for LCD TV

When i install an outlet behind the tv What is the correct position,
Verticle or horizontal ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Posted to alt.home.repair

When i install an outlet behind the tv What is the correct position,
Verticle or horizontal ?

*Mount the TV and look in the back to see the best place to locate the
outlet as well as the video and audio cables. Sometimes there are templates
with the mounts that indicate the best location for the outlet. I usually
go vertical.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 21, 6:59*pm, "desgnr" wrote:
When i install an outlet behind the tv What is the correct position,
Verticle or horizontal ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Depends on which way you want the electricity to come out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/21/2010 9:26 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Aug 21, 6:59 pm, wrote:
When i install an outlet behind the tv What is the correct position,
Verticle or horizontal ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

Depends on which way you want the electricity to come out.

Also, if you install it inside out, like a rolled up sock,
the plug will disappear into the wall when plugged in. It
will take up less space behind the TV. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
Also, if you install it inside out, like a rolled up sock,
the plug will disappear into the wall when plugged in. It
will take up less space behind the TV. 8-)

TDD

Kidding aside, if space behind the TV is critical, use a clock receptical
http://www.levitonsupplies.com/lewhsiclre68.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/21/2010 10:27 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
Also, if you install it inside out, like a rolled up sock,
the plug will disappear into the wall when plugged in. It
will take up less space behind the TV. 8-)

TDD

Kidding aside, if space behind the TV is critical, use a clock
receptical http://www.levitonsupplies.com/lewhsiclre68.html

You read my mind when it wasn't in its warped state. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
When i install an outlet behind the tv What is the correct position,
Verticle or horizontal ?

This was settled about 2,000 years ago when the rabbinc scholars debated the
orientation of the mezuzah on the door posts of a Jewish home. Some sages
argued for vertical, others for horizontal.

A compromise was finally reached. Mezuzahs are installed at an angle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2010 6:28 AM, HeyBub wrote:
desgnr wrote:
When i install an outlet behind the tv What is the correct position,
Verticle or horizontal ?

This was settled about 2,000 years ago when the rabbinc scholars debated the
orientation of the mezuzah on the door posts of a Jewish home. Some sages
argued for vertical, others for horizontal.

A compromise was finally reached. Mezuzahs are installed at an angle.

I asked one of my Jewish customers if the things kept Jehovah Witnesses
away from the door. I haven't seen my Jewish relatives in many years
because they live in Yankee land or I would ask them. Will the presence
of a Mezuzah repel door to door Christian proselytizers?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 19:59:50 -0400, desgnr wrote:

When i install an outlet behind the tv What is the correct position,
Verticle or horizontal ?

Ground pins pointing up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
When i install an outlet behind the tv What is the correct position,
Verticle or horizontal ?

Depends on how you rotate the plug.

--
LSMFT

I look outside this morning and everything was in 3D!

Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote the following:
When i install an outlet behind the tv What is the correct position,
Verticle or horizontal ?

Correct position for what reason? The electrons will flow through the
outlet no matter what position the outlet is in.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Tony wrote in :

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 19:59:50 -0400, desgnr wrote:

When i install an outlet behind the tv What is the correct position,
Verticle or horizontal ?

Ground pins pointing up.

Good Gawd.

Not funny, that's offically required in New York City. Inspector told me,
it was so that if a knife falls on the not quite totally inserted plug, the
current will be shorted to ground, and not start a fire.

YMMV

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:
desgnr wrote:
When i install an outlet behind the tv What is the correct position,
Verticle or horizontal ?

Depends on how you rotate the plug.

Great answer! In what position does the OP want to be holding the plug
when he plugs it in? That's the correct position to install the outlet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 17:51:37 -0400, Tony wrote:
LSMFT wrote:
desgnr wrote:
When i install an outlet behind the tv What is the correct position,
Verticle or horizontal ?

Depends on how you rotate the plug.

Great answer! In what position does the OP want to be holding the plug
when he plugs it in? That's the correct position to install the outlet.

Has anybody also mentioned to install with the outlets facing outward
and the wiring in behind?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

I asked one of my Jewish customers if the things kept Jehovah
Witnesses away from the door. I haven't seen my Jewish relatives in
many years because they live in Yankee land or I would ask them. Will
the presence of a Mezuzah repel door to door Christian proselytizers?

Dunno. They used to show up here and I told them the following story:

Written in Roman (instead of Hebrew) characters, the name of God is YHWH
(there are no vowels in Hebrew). When reading the Hebrew text aloud in the
synagogue, the Jew speaks the word "Adonai" (lord, master) when he
encounters YHWH in the sacred text, much like we say "et cetera" when
reading "etc." To avoid taking the name of the Lord in vain, the trick is to
never say God's name.

About A.D 200, the Masorites, fearing that the new generation was not
learning the holy language, invented vowels for Hebrew. These vowels took
the form of diacritical marks above and below the Hebrew letters. When it
came to the YHWH business, they Masorites used the vowels for Adonai, since
that was what everybody was saying.

Martin Luther, in translating the Hebrew and Greek texts into German did not
know the YHWH+Adonai trick, so he wrote the word in the German version of
the Bible as "Yahowah."

Using the Luther's German translation, English translators turned "Y" into
"J" and "W" into "V" yielding "Jehovah."

Bottom line: "Jehovah" is a completely made up word based on several
mistakes. Moses wouldn't know what it meant, Jesus wouldn't know what it
meant, and it's possible that when a Jehovah's Witness gets to heaven, St
Peter will say "Never heard of you."

I think the Witnesses passed the word around to not bother with my house;
it's filled with crazy people.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:
Tony wrote in
:

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 19:59:50 -0400, desgnr wrote:

When i install an outlet behind the tv What is the correct
position, Verticle or horizontal ?

Ground pins pointing up.

Good Gawd.

Not funny, that's offically required in New York City. Inspector
told me, it was so that if a knife falls on the not quite totally
inserted plug, the current will be shorted to ground, and not start a
fire.

It's entirely possible the OP has crossed swords hanging above his TV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2010 7:16 PM, HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

I like rabbis, they're cool and have a fatalistic sense of humor.
Southern Baptist preachers usually have a stick so far up their
tailpipe that the end of it's that bump you think is their Adam's
apple. Catholic priests are funny drunks. I can say this because they're
all my cousins. I can pick on family. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:
Tony wrote in :

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 19:59:50 -0400, desgnr wrote:

When i install an outlet behind the tv What is the correct position,
Verticle or horizontal ?
Ground pins pointing up.

Good Gawd.

Not funny, that's offically required in New York City. Inspector told me,
it was so that if a knife falls on the not quite totally inserted plug, the
current will be shorted to ground, and not start a fire.

YMMV

Yes, my mileage does vary. If a knife falls and shorts out the hot to
either ground or neutral, the chances of it starting a fire are probably
the same. Not to mention that 99.9999% of the time it will trip the
breaker, not start a fire.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Tony wrote in
:

Han wrote:
Tony wrote in
:

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 19:59:50 -0400, desgnr wrote:

When i install an outlet behind the tv What is the correct
position, Verticle or horizontal ?
Ground pins pointing up.
Good Gawd.

Not funny, that's offically required in New York City. Inspector
told me, it was so that if a knife falls on the not quite totally
inserted plug, the current will be shorted to ground, and not start a
fire.

YMMV

Yes, my mileage does vary. If a knife falls and shorts out the hot to
either ground or neutral, the chances of it starting a fire are
probably the same. Not to mention that 99.9999% of the time it will
trip the breaker, not start a fire.

Hey, I swear that's what the inspector said. And I had to turn around
all those outlets I had put into my basement before he approved it. No
real biggie, but that's why I remember after 20 years.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

I like rabbis, they're cool and have a fatalistic sense of humor.
Southern Baptist preachers usually have a stick so far up their
tailpipe that the end of it's that bump you think is their Adam's
apple. Catholic priests are funny drunks. I can say this because
they're all my cousins. I can pick on family. 8-)

Second that. One local rabbit wrote a book: "Stories a Rabbi Shouldn't Tell"
filled with jokes and stuff. He was the Jewish Chaplin at the Texas Medical
Center and part of his job was cheering up patients.

One interesting thing he told me: He has a card file of some 500 names of
Jews in the community with foreign language skills he can call on. The Texas
Medical Center gets patients from all over the world and it is obviously
helpful if they can communicate!

Standard languages are pretty easy, but he was worried that he had only two
resources that spoke Coptic! Believe it or not, he had a lot of people in
the community that could speak Mandarin, Farsi, or COBOL.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 17:02:10 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

[snip]

Has anybody also mentioned to install with the outlets facing outward
and the wiring in behind?

You turn it so the wiring is on the outside and the outlets are facing
inward. This is to compensate for the mistake the "intelligent designer"
made with out retinas (connections on the front, light sensors on the
back).

--
"It's an incredible con job when you think of it, to believe something
now in exchange for life after death. Even corporations with all their
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2010 2:37 PM, HeyBub wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

People don't understand that part of the culture is similar to that of
the Chinese where scholars are revered much like the adulation given
athletes in American culture. It's cool to learn and excel at getting an
education. I once asked a football freak if a college would hold
a press conference announcing the hiring of a Nobel Prize winning math
professor at a high salary. He couldn't comprehend the reason or irony
of my question. I'm considered an evil heretic here in Alabamastan
because I care nothing for football.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

If the ground pin is on top, how will the falling knife touch an
energized blade?

When my Dad was a teen, he was running an antenna wire in the cellar
of the house. He did manage to drop a bare wire across a two prong
plug. Said it was a memorable thing to do.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Han" wrote in message

Not funny, that's offically required in New York City. Inspector told
me,
it was so that if a knife falls on the not quite totally inserted
plug, the
current will be shorted to ground, and not start a fire.

YMMV

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Posted to alt.home.repair

At the top of this post, click "file". Slide down, left click "print".
And then click "OK". Your wish is herby granted.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Yes, my mileage does vary. If a knife falls and shorts out the hot
either ground or neutral, the chances of it starting a fire are
probably the same. Not to mention that 99.9999% of the time it
will
trip the breaker, not start a fire.

Hey, I swear that's what the inspector said. And I had to turn
around
all those outlets I had put into my basement before he approved it.
No
real biggie, but that's why I remember after 20 years.

That inspector was pulling a rule out of his ass. I would like to see
it in print somewhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Han" wrote
[...]

Our local inspector want them ground up also. His story is a paper clip off
a desk an lodge in a slot by a poorly inseted plug.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
If the ground pin is on top, how will the falling knife touch an
energized blade?

When my Dad was a teen, he was running an antenna wire in the cellar
of the house. He did manage to drop a bare wire across a two prong
plug. Said it was a memorable thing to do.

Once while painting I removed the outlet cover (metal) with a lamp cord
plugged in (I needed it to see). Of course the cover fell across the
plug prongs and the breaker tripped. I must have been overcome by paint
fumes... or that's my defense anyway.