Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gas boiler -- supply and return

I own a small building with 3 apartments and 3 separate gas boiler hot water
radiator heat systems. Each boiler has a circulator pump that is attached
to a pipe that goes into the side of the boiler about half way down.
Another pipe comes out of the top of the boiler.

I am assuming that where the circulator pump is located is the return water
line that goes back into the boiler and the pipe coming out of the top of
the boiler is the supply/hot water line that sends hot water up to the
radiators to supply them with heat.

Is that correct?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RogerT" wrote in message
I own a small building with 3 apartments and 3 separate gas boiler hot
water radiator heat systems. Each boiler has a circulator pump that is
attached to a pipe that goes into the side of the boiler about half way
down. Another pipe comes out of the top of the boiler.

I am assuming that where the circulator pump is located is the return
water line that goes back into the boiler and the pipe coming out of the
top of the boiler is the supply/hot water line that sends hot water up to
the radiators to supply them with heat.

Is that correct?

Usually, but to be sure look on the side of the pump. It will have a
directional arrow

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RogerT" wrote in message
I own a small building with 3 apartments and 3 separate gas boiler hot
water radiator heat systems. Each boiler has a circulator pump that is
attached to a pipe that goes into the side of the boiler about half way
down. Another pipe comes out of the top of the boiler.

I am assuming that where the circulator pump is located is the return
water line that goes back into the boiler and the pipe coming out of the
top of the boiler is the supply/hot water line that sends hot water up to
the radiators to supply them with heat.

Is that correct?

That is the usual setup. To be sure, when the system has been down for a
time, turn up a thermostat and put your hand on the pipe. You'll feel it
get hot as soon as the water circulates.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds right, to me.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RogerT" wrote in message
I own a small building with 3 apartments and 3 separate gas boiler hot
water
radiator heat systems. Each boiler has a circulator pump that is
attached
to a pipe that goes into the side of the boiler about half way down.
Another pipe comes out of the top of the boiler.

I am assuming that where the circulator pump is located is the return
water
line that goes back into the boiler and the pipe coming out of the top
of
the boiler is the supply/hot water line that sends hot water up to the
radiators to supply them with heat.

Is that correct?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all. I also went ahead and looked at the pump as suggested and the
arrow does show that the circulator is on the return side of the boiler. I
just wanted to be sure.