Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Block wall stuccoing

I want to do some very simple stucco over block. I will pour a footer with
rebar, let it dry, first course it, then build the blocks in an asymmetrical
Southwest pattern with openings, and rolling top. I want to just put some
stucco over that, probably tinted.

Questions:

Do I mix stucco myself, or buy premix? Do I need a plain layer of lath over
the block first? Or a layer of wet uncolored scratch coat stucco and a
layer of cloth imbedded, then let dry, then a topcoat of colored? I want
something that will last the longest without popping off in chunks due to
our temperature swings from 15 F to 115 F, and the wet/freeze/dry cycles of
rain/ snow, baking sun.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Get a free book from our trillions available for download before they're
gone! ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

Steve B wrote:
I want to do some very simple stucco over block. I will pour a footer with
rebar, let it dry, first course it, then build the blocks in an asymmetrical
Southwest pattern with openings, and rolling top. I want to just put some
stucco over that, probably tinted.

Questions:

Do I mix stucco myself, or buy premix? Do I need a plain layer of lath over
the block first? Or a layer of wet uncolored scratch coat stucco and a
layer of cloth imbedded, then let dry, then a topcoat of colored? I want
something that will last the longest without popping off in chunks due to
our temperature swings from 15 F to 115 F, and the wet/freeze/dry cycles of
rain/ snow, baking sun.

Steve, I'm looking at the same questions you are somewhat. What is your
location? (If it's AZ, don't worry, I'm not coming over to celebrate
the enactment of civil rights with y'all.)

I don't think summers are going to be getting cooler in the southwest,
so I'm hoping to be the pig that wolf or sun can't do in.

Cheers,
--
Uno
Posted to alt.home.repair

Questions:

Do I mix stucco myself, or buy premix? Do I need a plain layer of
lath over the block first? Or a layer of wet uncolored scratch coat
stucco and a layer of cloth imbedded, then let dry, then a topcoat of
colored? I want something that will last the longest without popping
off in chunks due to our temperature swings from 15 F to 115 F, and
the wet/freeze/dry cycles of rain/ snow, baking sun.

Steve, I'm looking at the same questions you are somewhat. What is
your location? (If it's AZ, don't worry, I'm not coming over to
celebrate the enactment of civil rights with y'all.)

I don't think summers are going to be getting cooler in the southwest,
so I'm hoping to be the pig that wolf or sun can't do in.

Cheers,

The blocks will have an invisible coat of bond breaker that made it easy
to get them out of the molds. That's a very light oil that will prevent a
good bond of the stucco onto the blocks if you don't clean it very well.
I use TSP because it doesn't leave a residue - make sure you rinse well
after. All of your suggestions are good and will work. A very good
modification is to use acrylic admix instead of water or at least a 50/50
mix of water and admix. The admix improves the stickiness and helps with
freeze cycles. I did two 8' x 10' planters- clean like crazy, rinse like
crazy, damp the blocks but not wet (no free water at all), one coat
colored stucco and one coat top coat. Cloth and lath is not required and
will cause looseness later if the cloth is not totally saturated which is
almost impossible. So leave it out. Any voids would be places where water
will enter and freeze and expand and loosen the stucco.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:44:33 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

I want to do some very simple stucco over block. I will pour a footer with
rebar, let it dry, first course it, then build the blocks in an asymmetrical
Southwest pattern with openings, and rolling top. I want to just put some
stucco over that, probably tinted.

Questions:

Do I mix stucco myself, or buy premix? Do I need a plain layer of lath over
the block first? Or a layer of wet uncolored scratch coat stucco and a
layer of cloth imbedded, then let dry, then a topcoat of colored? I want
something that will last the longest without popping off in chunks due to
our temperature swings from 15 F to 115 F, and the wet/freeze/dry cycles of
rain/ snow, baking sun.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

My last house had stucco over block walls. No lath or cloth.

See: (six steps with list of tools)

http://www.ehow.com/how_5535707_apply-stucco-over-block-wall.html