Oscillating fan repair

Old August 22nd 10, 10:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oscillating fan repair

Apologies if this is re-post. I seem to be having difficulty transmitting
today.

I have an oscillating table fan that recently stopped working. I'll
probably just buy an new one, but wondered if anyone here might have any
useful suggestions. The fan's performance didn't degrade over time; it was
working properly and then suddenly it just wouldn't turn on. I've tested
the 4 way switch (Off-1-2-3) and it's working properly. And when the
control is switched to any of of the "on" settings, the motor doesn't even
make a humming sound and rotation can't be started by giving the fan blades
a shove, so I assume the problem is not with the motor starting capacitor.
The shaft can be turned freely by hand and there don't seem to be any broken
or disconnected wires. Are there any other "usual causes" of this type
problem that should be investigated before I throw this thing away? Thanks
for your replies!

Old August 23rd 10, 12:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair

PE wrote:
[...]

Is it plugged in? If so, is there power to the plug?
Old August 23rd 10, 12:32 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/22/2010 2:06 PM PE spake thus:

I have an oscillating table fan that recently stopped working. I'll
probably just buy an new one, but wondered if anyone here might have any
useful suggestions. The fan's performance didn't degrade over time; it was
working properly and then suddenly it just wouldn't turn on. I've tested
the 4 way switch (Off-1-2-3) and it's working properly. And when the
control is switched to any of of the "on" settings, the motor doesn't even
make a humming sound and rotation can't be started by giving the fan blades
a shove, so I assume the problem is not with the motor starting capacitor.

On these types of fans, with really small fractional-horsepower motors,
there's no starting capacitor.

The shaft can be turned freely by hand and there don't seem to be any broken
or disconnected wires. Are there any other "usual causes" of this type
problem that should be investigated before I throw this thing away? Thanks
for your replies!

Since no humming sound, it must be a broken wire/connection somewhere.
I'd just start taking it apart and looking at wiring. If you can get the
motor apart (sometimes they're made in two halves that mate), you may be
able to find an open connection somewhere. Probably worth 10-20 minutes
of rooting around in it.

Could even be a broken connection inside the plug, or in the cord
somewhere. Check it for obvious breaks or other damage.

Old August 23rd 10, 01:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 19:23:30 -0400, Chuck wrote:

Is it plugged in?

Jeff calls me one day.

"I booted and my monitor won't come on."

"Jeff, did you turn the monitor on?"

"Yes!"

"Reboot!, now".

"Nope, that don't work."

"I'll be there in a few minutes."

Turned the monitor on and I had a nice day, afterwards.

Old August 23rd 10, 02:33 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 16:32:03 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

[...]

Unplug the fan and turn the switch on. You should get continuity from
one prong to the other. If you don't, you can be sure you have a
broken connection. If you do get continuity, then it is most likely
the outlet.

You do have a voltage tester. Right? Plug in a lamp.

Old August 23rd 10, 07:33 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 10:06*pm, "PE" wrote:
[...]

The most likely thing and easiest to check is a break in the cord.
Switch the fan on and bend the cord about, the fan may start
momentariy. The most likely place isnear the ends of the cord.