Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Ocean City, MD - Anyone Been There?

I'm taking the family to Ocean City, MD next week. Is anybody familiar
with the area?

We're not big time partiers so I'm not interested in bars and night
clubs. I've already done the requisite Internet searches for Things To
Do but I'm hoping for some personal recommendations.

I'm looking for things to do like Assateague Island State Park, the
best spot for crabbing, etc. Day trips by car to surrounding areas
would be fine.

It'll be the wife and I and four "kids" ages 18 - 24.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
I'm taking the family to Ocean City, MD next week. Is anybody familiar
with the area?

We're not big time partiers so I'm not interested in bars and night
clubs. I've already done the requisite Internet searches for Things To
Do but I'm hoping for some personal recommendations.

I'm looking for things to do like Assateague Island State Park, the
best spot for crabbing, etc. Day trips by car to surrounding areas
would be fine.

It'll be the wife and I and four "kids" ages 18 - 24.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Four kids in an age range where the prime directive of life is "take new
risks". Right.

1) Bring bail money.
2) Make sure health insurance covers krazy things like parasailing injuries
3) Drink heavily

:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just go to the beach and walk along the boardwalk like everyone else.
The Salisbury Zoo is a nice 1-2 hour stopover on the way in, but for
the age of your kids I'd say the beach, bars, and amusements there are
probably more appropriate. Supposedly there are things like GoCarts
in the area just outside of the main island which they would probably
like. I don't know what direction you will be coming from, but I also
like to stop in Cambridge at the visitors center and walk around as
well. Worth stopping there just for the bathroom.
http://www.tourdorchester.org/attrac...attraction=348
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ocean City has a good Visitor's Center that has tons of info.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 10:37*am, zzyzzx wrote:
Just go to the beach and walk along the boardwalk like everyone else.
The Salisbury Zoo is a nice 1-2 hour stopover on the way in, but for
the age of your kids I'd say the beach, bars, and amusements there are
probably more appropriate. *Supposedly there are things like GoCarts
in the area just outside of the main island which they would probably
like. *I don't know what direction you will be coming from, but I also
like to stop in Cambridge at the visitors center and walk around as
well. *Worth stopping there just for the bathroom.http://www.tourdorchester.org/attrac...attraction=348

Thanks for the Cambridge link, but we're coming in from the north with
a stop in Philly to pick up my niece.

That's a gorgeous visitor's center and I'm sure the bathrooms are nice
too. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/2010 10:56 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 13, 10:37 am, wrote:
Just go to the beach and walk along the boardwalk like everyone else.
The Salisbury Zoo is a nice 1-2 hour stopover on the way in, but for
the age of your kids I'd say the beach, bars, and amusements there are
probably more appropriate. Supposedly there are things like GoCarts
in the area just outside of the main island which they would probably
like. I don't know what direction you will be coming from, but I also
like to stop in Cambridge at the visitors center and walk around as
well. Worth stopping there just for the bathroom.http://www.tourdorchester.org/attrac...attraction=348

Thanks for the Cambridge link, but we're coming in from the north with
a stop in Philly to pick up my niece.

That's a gorgeous visitor's center and I'm sure the bathrooms are nice
too. ;-)

You might stop at the outlet stores on route 1 in Delaware for tax free
shopping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 10:37 am, wrote:
[...]

Shopping? You're not really a guy are you, "Frank?" Who are these people
who spend their vacations shopping? Isn't GAP in every ****ing city?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 1:50*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

On Aug 13, 10:37 am, *wrote:
[...]

4 females, my son and I. If the girls say they want to go shopping,
they're going shopping. Who am I to argue?

I'm sure my son and I can find something else to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 10:37 am, wrote:
[...]

======

I don't like to shop much at home but when I go traveling it's more fun for
some reason. It maybe because we budget for it. Not sure what the "f$%king
GAP" has to do with it.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/2010 1:50 PM, Smitty Two wrote:

On Aug 13, 10:37 am, wrote:
[...]

You're not married, I guess

I said "tax free". That means no sales tax.
Personally, I don't like the outlets but there are other stores.
Living in Delaware, I don't pay sales tax.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Live Cams ...

http://www.wtv-zone.com/butchnova/Pa...ean_City1.html

http://www.wtv-zone.com/butchnova/Pa...ity_Md-bw.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 2:33*pm, (J O E) wrote:
Live Cams ...

http://www.wtv-zone.com/butchnova/Pa...ean_City1.html

http://www.wtv-zone.com/butchnova/Pa...ity_Md-bw.html

Thanks!

You gotta like this:

http://www.wtv-zone.com/butchnova/
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 06:24:10 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I'm taking the family to Ocean City, MD next week. Is anybody familiar
with the area?

We're not big time partiers so I'm not interested in bars and night
clubs. I've already done the requisite Internet searches for Things To
Do but I'm hoping for some personal recommendations.

I'm looking for things to do like Assateague Island State Park, the
best spot for crabbing, etc. Day trips by car to surrounding areas
would be fine.

It'll be the wife and I and four "kids" ages 18 - 24.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

The ponies are nice of course. I'm sure the tourist stuff mentinoed
that. I think the annual roundup was only a few weeks ago, but they
only take 5 or 10% so there are plenty still there. Just keep your
eyes open. They may be right by the road or a couple hundred feet
away. They tell you to leave them alone, but I walked over, kept my
hands in my pockets or out of range of his mouth, and one didn't seem
to mind me. I don't know if kids' behaviour would upset them or not.

And there's one other animal that lives there much more than
elsewhere, and I forget what it is.

P&M
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

P&M- Hide quoted text -

"I think the annual roundup was only a few weeks ago, but they
only take 5 or 10% so there are plenty still there."

FYI...the things I learned:

There are actually 2 separate "herds" of wild horses to view.

One herd is on the north end of Assateague Island - in Maryland -
(home of the "Assateague Island National Seashore" and "Assateague
Island State Park"). The horses in this herd are not rounded up, but
are managed by vaccinations to keep the herd at 80 - 100 horses.

The other herd - on the south end of Assateague Island, in Virginia -
is owned by the Chincoteague Fire Department from Chincoteague Island,
VA. They are the ones who do the round-up, the Pony Swim and auction
the foals once a year. It's my understanding that the Pony Swim is
well-attended. 40K plus spectators. No thanks, way too many people for
me.

We went to the Assateague Island State Park beach where a pair of
horses came right up to our blanket. The male opened our plastic tub
with his nose looking for food. When all he found were towels, they
walked right across our beach blankets to the people further down the
beach. The male tried to open their cooler but the guy shooed them
away.

The area around Ocean City, away from the maddening crowds, is
beautiful. We went crabbing with chicken legs and caught enough
Maryland Blues to feed the 6 of us. We took a little 2 car ferry
across the Wicomico River. We went body surfing in the pouring rain.
The only thing that we actually did in Ocean City itself (other than
swimming at the beach) was go parasailing. The rest of week was spent
taking day trips to some very beautiful spots in Maryland.