Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

Default duct taping exhaust pipes

I just was cleaning my water heater and see the exhaust pipe on it has
come loose in the middle. Can I just duct tape it for now and not
expect it to melt?
--
Uno
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Uno" wrote in message
I just was cleaning my water heater and see the exhaust pipe on it has
come loose in the middle. Can I just duct tape it for now and not expect
it to melt?
--
Uno

Not a good idea. Put it back together and then drill a small hole and put a
sheet metal screw through it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Uno" wrote in message
I just was cleaning my water heater and see the exhaust pipe on it has
come loose in the middle. Can I just duct tape it for now and not
expect it to melt?
--
Uno

Not a good idea. Put it back together and then drill a small hole and
put a sheet metal screw through it.

And then use foil tape to seal it. (yeah, I know, it leaks at the
bottom anyway, but just on general principles...)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 6:36*pm, Uno wrote:
I just was cleaning my water heater and see the exhaust pipe on it has
come loose in the middle. *Can I just duct tape it for now and not
expect it to melt?
--
Uno

I have used aluminum foil duct tape for YEARS to "fix" the adjustable
elbows and secure joints on flue pipes with no ill effect.
I don't know if it's "ok' but it has worked fine for me w/o problems.

Do not use the fabric or plastic duct tapes for this application.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 19:36:14 -0600, Uno wrote:

I just was cleaning my water heater and see the exhaust pipe on it has
come loose in the middle. Can I just duct tape it for now and not
expect it to melt?

I don't know what you can and can't expect, but I would expect it to
melt.

Use foil tape meant for that purpose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd use the real aluminum tape not the mylar type stuff. 3M makes good one
expensive but you get what you pay for in this case, have used both at work
and now wouldn't use anything but the real McCoy
"Uno" wrote in message
I just was cleaning my water heater and see the exhaust pipe on it has come
loose in the middle. Can I just duct tape it for now and not expect it to
melt?
--
Uno

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 8:36*pm, Uno wrote:
I just was cleaning my water heater and see the exhaust pipe on it has
come loose in the middle. *Can I just duct tape it for now and not
expect it to melt?
--
Uno

Sounds dangerous to me. Isn't exhaust pipe leaks where carbon monoxide
gets into the house or do water heaters burn so little fuel that it
doesn't give off much exhaust?

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Aug 18, 11:08*am, hibb wrote:
On Aug 17, 8:36*pm, Uno wrote:

I just was cleaning my water heater and see the exhaust pipe on it has
come loose in the middle. *Can I just duct tape it for now and not
expect it to melt?
--
Uno

Sounds dangerous to me. Isn't exhaust pipe leaks where carbon monoxide
gets into the house or do water heaters burn so little fuel that it
doesn't give off much exhaust?

no, it's definitely a concern. Most residential water heaters are in
the neighborhood of 30-40K BTU or higher IIRC. I would follow the
advice already given and screw it together. If it was put together
properly in the beginning, the smaller, crimped ends of all the
connections should be pointing in the direction of the exhaust flow to
minimize the possibility of backdraft, even without sealing the
joints. I suppose if you are anal retentive using some muffler cement
might work, covered with metal foil tape (as others have said, NOT any
other kind of "duct" tape - that would be doomed to a presumably
quick, smelly failure.)

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote:
On Aug 18, 11:08 am, hibb wrote:
On Aug 17, 8:36 pm, Uno wrote:

[...]

My understanding is that the crimped ends should be pointed down to contain
condensation within the pipe instead of letting it drip out at the joints. This
is important for wood stoves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The proper name for Duct Tape is Duct Insulators Tape. It's original
purpose was to hold the canvas in place over the insulation while the
Duct Insulators sewed the canvas up thus making the installation more
durable. That is why it is a cloth tape that is extremely sticky. It
is meant to conform to the canvas used to cover the old style
insulation used on ducts back in the day. It was never intended for
use directly on ducts. It was certainly never meant for use on gas
appliance vent tubing.
--
Tom Horne

On Aug 18, 6:21*am, wrote:
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 07:09:52 -0230, "don &/or Lucille"

wrote:
I'd use the real aluminum tape not the mylar type stuff. 3M makes good one
expensive but you get what you pay for in this case, have used both at work
and now wouldn't use anything but the real McCoy

It's not as expensive as replacing his home after the duct tape
ignites and burns his house down. *
Duct tape is made for ducts (warm forced air), not HOT exhaust pipes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 01:12:13 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 19:36:14 -0600, Uno wrote:

I just was cleaning my water heater and see the exhaust pipe on it has
come loose in the middle. Can I just duct tape it for now and not
expect it to melt?

I don't know what you can and can't expect, but I would expect it to
melt.

Use foil tape meant for that purpose.

AKA "Duct tape" - not "duck tape" which is what the cloth stuff is
ACTUALLY - originally made of "cotton duck" - a type of cloth
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 19:50:36 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

wrote:

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 19:36:14 -0600, Uno wrote:

I just was cleaning my water heater and see the exhaust pipe on it has
come loose in the middle. Can I just duct tape it for now and not
expect it to melt?

I don't know what you can and can't expect, but I would expect it to
melt.

Use foil tape meant for that purpose.

AKA "Duct tape" - not "duck tape" which is what the cloth stuff is
ACTUALLY - originally made of "cotton duck" - a type of cloth

Others said what I just did more strongly, so let me put it another
way.

You're thinking of the difference between duct tape and duct tape, a
worthwhile distinction, but neither of them is the tape for exhaust
pipes. That is metal foil tape.

The foil made for exhaust pipes doesn't work worth a damn. The
flexing caused by the pressure waves of the exhaust quickly cause the
tape to fatigue and rip. I've never heard of such a patch lasting a
whole month.

Well now you have. Mine was put on in November I think and lasted
a whole winter. It weet on an oil furnace just two inches from the
flue collector, the steel part screwed to the furnace immediately past
the heat eachanger, so it gets hot.

Another piece was went about 8 inches up from there and 3 inches over,
out of the hot air flow but I'm sure it got hot. It was wrapped
around the damper (that's hinged and has an adjustable weight) by some
furnace guy and was there for a few years when another furnace guy
took it off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 19:36:14 -0600, wrote:

[...]

I think he meant on the muffler of a car, which is a much harsher
environment than the flue of a burner due to the cyclic stress imposed
by the pulsing of the exhaust of a piston engine.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

On 8/18/2010 10:01 AM, Bob F wrote:
N8N wrote:
On Aug 18, 11:08 am, wrote:
On Aug 17, 8:36 pm, wrote:

[...]

Thanks all for replies. Once I read them all, I realized that screwing
them together is what I wanted to do. If they are not together in a
convincing way (screws are very convincing), there is definitely a CO
exposure you don't want to have in the place where you hang out to
prepare your meals. (Yes, here in New Mexico, many of us have water
heaters in our kitchens.)

So here's how it went down:

1) Refrain from using hot water for a half hour so that ducts won't be hot.
2) Duct tape up the back of this joint so it stays together for the
next 5 minutes.
3) Use an 1-1/4 screw to make a penetration right on the knuckle. When
you get through the top, stop.
4) Use drill bit to prepare hole for screw.
5) Install screw.
6) Remove duct tape.
7) Thank the nice folks on usenet who helped me out here.

I think I'll foil tape it for good measure. Cheers,
--
Uno
Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

On 8/18/2010 6:54 PM, Uno wrote:

So here's how it went down:

1) Refrain from using hot water for a half hour so that ducts won't be hot.
2) Duct tape up the back of this joint so it stays together for the next
5 minutes.
3) Use an 1-1/4 screw to make a penetration right on the knuckle. When
you get through the top, stop.
4) Use drill bit to prepare hole for screw.
5) Install screw.
6) Remove duct tape.
7) Thank the nice folks on usenet who helped me out here.

I think I'll foil tape it for good measure. Cheers,

ps I used a different screw for the fastening: a little, metal duct screw.
--
Uno

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Doh! I misread it as an OT automotive question.
A furnace isn't going to have the exhaust pressure waves of an internal
combustion engine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes, I usually think of the exhaust of a furnace refered to as a chimney
pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

[...]

Okay, I get it.

I used exhaust pipe this time because the OP had in reference to a
water heater. and no one quoted had used a different term.

So we agree. Good!
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

[...]

That didn't clue me in. I figured maybe some new fancy furnaces do!
Posted to alt.home.repair
RES RES is offline

I think that some trolling has been going on, but in case the question was
for real, the answer is: Repair the duct, screw the pieces together. The
duct- in fact any duct- should be mechanically sound before any sealing.
Duct tape, as used in the trades, is used on some ducts to overlay a seam,
but the seam itself must be tight, entirely closed and sound before applying
the duct tape. I've seen inspectors use a pick or knife point to test just
that issue.

For a vent pipe, this is even more important. Personally, I've never seen a
professionally installed water heater, boiler or furnace vent pipe held
together, spliced or even reinforced with duct tape. It'll burn, dry out or
fail. Possibly the aluminum "tape" could be used, but even that has an
adhesive that would probably fail due to the heat.

You're much better off replacing the bad section of the vent, from the draft
hood up. The cost isn't that much and you're going to be a lot safer.

Nonny

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 19, 9:22*am, "RES" wrote:
[...]

The aluminum tape I put on my water heat flue in 1980 is still
performing fine.

cheers
Bob