Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toshiba Flat Screen TV

I have a Toshiba flat screen TV which belonged to my late mother-in-law. It
is only just over a year old (LCD I believe). Tonight the volume just quit
on me - all channels. Any ideas, suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ultraglide" wrote in message
I have a Toshiba flat screen TV which belonged to my late mother-in-law.
It is only just over a year old (LCD I believe). Tonight the volume just
quit on me - all channels. Any ideas, suggestions?

Is it on a cable box? If so, make sure it is not set to "mute". Same with
the TV

Then, RTFM
... The sound may be muted. Press VOLUME.
... If you hear no sound, try setting the MTS feature
to Stereo mode (? page 39).
... If you are not receiving a second audio program
from a known SAP source, make sure the MTS
feature is set to SAP mode (? page 39).

Posted to alt.home.repair

It may still be under warranty. Call the Geek Squad where it was
purchased.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Ultraglide" wrote in message
I have a Toshiba flat screen TV which belonged to my late mother-in-law.
It is only just over a year old (LCD I believe). Tonight the volume just
quit on me - all channels. Any ideas, suggestions?

Is it on a cable box? If so, make sure it is not set to "mute". Same
with the TV

Then, RTFM
.. The sound may be muted. Press VOLUME.
.. If you hear no sound, try setting the MTS feature
to Stereo mode (? page 39).
.. If you are not receiving a second audio program
from a known SAP source, make sure the MTS
feature is set to SAP mode (? page 39).

I checked the TV controller and the cable box controller, both were not
muted. In fact the only controller I had near me was the cable box one but
I was not touching it at the time. I tried it on our other cable
box-equipped TV. Works find. I don't know if we have the manual. What is
(? page 39)? Is that a reference to the manual? Could one be available
online?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 9:39*pm, "Ultraglide"
wrote:
[...]

online?- Hide quoted text -

Is there a language choice somewhere? I once accidently hit the
button to change the language and there was no sound on the language
choice that I hit, and so there was no sound. I made a call to the
cable company and they suggested to me to try to change the language,
I did, and the sound came right back on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

(? page 39)? Is that a reference to the manual? Could one be available
online?

Search google.com for Toshiba...
....and you get this...
http://www.toshiba.com

Then click on Consumer Products, then on LCD TV's...
....and you get this...
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/

Then click on Customer Support and you get this...
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/customersupport/

Then I would bet if you entered your model number, you might be able to find
the instructions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
(? page 39)? Is that a reference to the manual? Could one be available
online?

Search google.com for Toshiba...
...and you get this...
http://www.toshiba.com

Then click on Consumer Products, then on LCD TV's...
...and you get this...
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/

Then click on Customer Support and you get this...
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/customersupport/

Then I would bet if you entered your model number, you might be able to
find the instructions?

Thanks for the info. Strangely enough the volume was back when I tried it
today. I will see if it goes off when used for an extended time. In that
case I would assume that it is definitely a problem with the set's audio
components.

Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

On 8/8/2010 7:53 PM, Ultraglide wrote:
I have a Toshiba flat screen TV which belonged to my late mother-in-law. It
is only just over a year old (LCD I believe). Tonight the volume just quit
on me - all channels. Any ideas, suggestions?

On ours, there's a control to turn off the speakers and route sound only
to the external amp connection -- could that be it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/8/2010 7:53 PM, Ultraglide wrote:
I have a Toshiba flat screen TV which belonged to my late mother-in-law. It
is only just over a year old (LCD I believe). Tonight the volume just quit
on me - all channels. Any ideas, suggestions?

If all else fails, you may want to consider resetting to the factory defaults.
If the user has customized many of the settings, first slog through the various
menus and with pad and paper write down every setting so that they may be easily
set back after the reset.

The instruction manual for my Toshiba LCD HDTV says, "To reset all settings and
channels to their factory default settings:

1. From the SETUP menu, highlight installation and press enter on the remote.
A new set of installation menu icons will appear.

2. Open the SYSTEM STATUS menu, highlight SYSTEM INFORMATION and press enter on
the remote.

3. Press the left and/or right scroll arrows on the remote through the menu bar
to select FACTORY DEFAULTS.

4. Enter your PIN code (or 0000 if no PIN code has been set).

5. Highlight YES and press enter on the remote. The TV will turn off
automatically after a few seconds. After the TV turns off, unplug the TV power
cord and then plug it in again to complete the reset process."

Sort of like a cold reboot with a computer I guess.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 8, 10:39*pm, "Ultraglide"
wrote:
[...]

THERE MUST HAVE BEEN AN INTERUPTION OF THE AUDIO SIGNAL FROM YOUR
CABLE COMPANY
SOME SETS BLANK OUT WHEN THE SIGNAL IS INTERUPTED
IN SOME SETS YOU MUST CHANGE THE CHANNEL
IN OTHERS YOU MUST TURN YOUR SET OFF AND BACK ON TO RESET IT
DON'T ASK ME WHY
I HAVE NOT GOTTEN INTO IT YET MYSELF
BUT
IT MAY BE A FLAW IN THE DIGITAL TO AUDIO CONVERSION CIRCUIT
AND AN AUTO-REFRESH CIRCUIT MAY BE NEEDED ON SOME SETS SUCH AS THE ONE
YOU HAVE INHERITED

IAP

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Peter" wrote in message

On 8/8/2010 7:53 PM, Ultraglide wrote:
I have a Toshiba flat screen TV which belonged to my late mother-in-law.
It
is only just over a year old (LCD I believe). Tonight the volume just
quit
on me - all channels. Any ideas, suggestions?

We've had this on our cable system here at home. By unplugging the CABLE
box and then replugging it in, the sound returns.

Nonny

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nonnymus" wrote in message

"Peter" wrote in message

On 8/8/2010 7:53 PM, Ultraglide wrote:
I have a Toshiba flat screen TV which belonged to my late
mother-in-law. It
is only just over a year old (LCD I believe). Tonight the volume just
quit
on me - all channels. Any ideas, suggestions?

We've had this on our cable system here at home. By unplugging the CABLE
box and then replugging it in, the sound returns.

Nonny

The sound came back on the next day and has been OK since. I have another
TV with the same cable box so if it ever happens again I will just switch
boxes or just hook the TV straight to the cable line to determine whether it
is the box or the TV. Just a note, the other TV was working fine when
everything happened.