Gate Valve Orientation

Old August 7th 10, 03:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gate Valve Orientation

Use ball valves.

OK, now that that's out of the way...

I Googled about installing them upside down like in a basement. Saw pros &
cons. Mostly about it promotes sediment collection messing up the
operation. The ones I'm using are 1/2" & 3/4", one hot and one cold. There
are no flow direction arrows on them.

What's the feel from you folks on upside down installation from actual
experience?

Red...
Old August 7th 10, 04:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

You can mount gate valve in any direction you of your choosing

However up side down if you water carry sediment in few years you may

Get some problem opening and closing other then that I do not see any
problems.

Old August 7th 10, 04:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 7:09*am, Red Green wrote:
Use ball valves.

OK, now that that's out of the way...

I Googled about installing them upside down like in a basement. Saw pros &
cons. Mostly about it promotes sediment collection messing up the
operation. The ones I'm using are 1/2" & 3/4", one hot and one cold. There
are no flow direction arrows on them.

What's the feel from you folks on upside down installation from actual
experience?

Red...

To my experience the direction doesn’t matter. Only about five percent
of them close right after several years no matter how you install the
damn things. I hate gate valves.

Old August 7th 10, 11:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
Use ball valves.

OK, now that that's out of the way...

I Googled about installing them upside down like in a basement. Saw
pros & cons. Mostly about it promotes sediment collection messing up
the operation. The ones I'm using are 1/2" & 3/4", one hot and one
cold. There are no flow direction arrows on them.

What's the feel from you folks on upside down installation from actual
experience?

It's really none of my business the orientation of a gate valve, but I am
against same-sex gate valve marriage.

Jon

Old August 8th 10, 03:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 14:09:19 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Use ball valves.

OK, now that that's out of the way...

I Googled about installing them upside down like in a basement. Saw pros &
cons. Mostly about it promotes sediment collection messing up the
operation. The ones I'm using are 1/2" & 3/4", one hot and one cold. There
are no flow direction arrows on them.

What's the feel from you folks on upside down installation from actual
experience?

Red...

Damn it, Red, listen to your own advice. Grow a set of ball valves
and use them! You will thank me later.

Gordon Shumway

When you subsidize poverty and failure, you get more of both.
Old August 9th 10, 04:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 1:30*pm, "JimT" wrote:
"Grumpy" wrote in message

You can mount gate valve in any direction you of your choosing

However up side down if you water carry sediment in few years you may

Get some problem opening and closing other then that I do not see any
problems.

Yoda?

Microsoft. I bet he hit Enter after "you may", and helpful grammar-
checking
software capitalized "Get", because it is the first word of a
paragraph.

Yes, there are some other spelling and punctuation issues, but it's
the "Get" that really makes it confusing. Most of the other stuff
looks
like lazy typing, or mind working faster than fingers, or something of
that sort.

Cindy Hamilton