Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trying to get rid of dirt

I tried Craigs list
Trash company won't take it.
Any ideas how to get rid of it ?
I wonder is there any negative reasons to puting it under my deck ?
The amount of dirt i have is were i dug it to make a flower bed.
The area is 200Sq. ft. by about 3 inches deep.
Another idea is to spread it out on my lawn & run over it with my Toro
mulching mower ,do you think that would work ? Would the dirt disolve in the
lawn.

I appreciate your ideas

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
I tried Craigs list
Trash company won't take it.
Any ideas how to get rid of it ?
I wonder is there any negative reasons to puting it under my deck ?
The amount of dirt i have is were i dug it to make a flower bed.
The area is 200Sq. ft. by about 3 inches deep.
Another idea is to spread it out on my lawn & run over it with my Toro
mulching mower ,do you think that would work ? Would the dirt disolve
in the lawn.

I appreciate your ideas

Advertise it on CL as "two yards of clean fill."

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 09:38:28 -0400, desgnr wrote:

I tried Craigs list

And freecycle?

Trash company won't take it.
Any ideas how to get rid of it ?
I wonder is there any negative reasons to puting it under my deck ?

I expect that'd work, providing it's not in direct contact with the deck
- although you might get problems with weeds trying to grow through the
boards at a later date, I suppose.

The
amount of dirt i have is were i dug it to make a flower bed. The area is
200Sq. ft. by about 3 inches deep. Another idea is to spread it out on
my lawn & run over it with my Toro mulching mower ,do you think that
would work ? Would the dirt disolve in the lawn.

Bury it. ;-)

Or, take a little bit with you in your pocket every time you go to
wal-mart, and shake it out onto the floor when nobody's looking. If
caught, claim that you've been trying to tunnel out of the place for
*years*.

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "desgnr" wrote:
What is CL ?

Craigslist.

Please don't top-post.

desgnr wrote:
I tried Craigs list
Trash company won't take it.
Any ideas how to get rid of it ?
I wonder is there any negative reasons to puting it under my deck ?
The amount of dirt i have is were i dug it to make a flower bed.
The area is 200Sq. ft. by about 3 inches deep.
Another idea is to spread it out on my lawn & run over it with my Toro
mulching mower ,do you think that would work ? Would the dirt disolve
in the lawn.

I appreciate your ideas

Advertise it on CL as "two yards of clean fill."

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
I tried Craigs list
Trash company won't take it.
Any ideas how to get rid of it ?
I wonder is there any negative reasons to puting it under my deck ?
The amount of dirt i have is were i dug it to make a flower bed.
The area is 200Sq. ft. by about 3 inches deep.
Another idea is to spread it out on my lawn & run over it with my Toro
mulching mower ,do you think that would work ? Would the dirt disolve in
the lawn.

I appreciate your ideas

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Not sure why you think anyone's interested in a list of your computer stuff.

Now, about that dirt: In 35+ years of gardening, I've read just about every
treatise there is on making new planting beds. I don't recall reading
anything about removing soil. Put it back. It'll settle over time.

If you got this "remove the dirt" idea from a written source (printed or
online), what was that source? Got a book name or link to the article?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
[...]

Please stop putting your responses on top.

You use a claw-type hand tool to whack as much soil off the grass clumps as
you can. It's a pain in the neck, but it's part of the job.
http://www.sulis-health.co.uk/sulis/...urus_3claw.jpg

You can also use a spade to cut pieces of the grass into manageable size,
lift them with a pitch fork, and shake until most of the soil is gone.

Unless it's been disturbed, the soil has distinct layers. The part you're
trying to get rid of is extremely valuable in terms of fertility and
important microorganisms. This is why "turning over the soil each year" is a
bad idea. You don't want to disturb the layers.

http://nesoil.com/properties/horizons/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Aug 3, 8:50*am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"desgnr" wrote in message

[...]

==
People pay a fortune for good topsoil and this guy wants to get rid of
it? He is making a big mistake. Now his "flowerbeds" are made up of
the poorer sub-soil and are now lower than the surrounding grass. A
good rain and everything gets flooded out. He needs a short course in
gardening. Many gardeners like raised beds for flowers.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
I tried Craigs list
Trash company won't take it.
Any ideas how to get rid of it ?
I wonder is there any negative reasons to puting it under my deck ?
The amount of dirt i have is were i dug it to make a flower bed.
The area is 200Sq. ft. by about 3 inches deep.
Another idea is to spread it out on my lawn & run over it with my Toro
mulching mower ,do you think that would work ? Would the dirt disolve in
the lawn.

I appreciate your ideas

From your other reply I gather this is more like sod than dirt? If so,
get most of the dirt off the roots and back into the garden. Then put
the sod back in the garden upside down. Let the sun kill the bare
roots. Give it some time killing any grass that happens to survive
before starting the garden. Keep tearing apart the sod as it dies into
small pieces. Cover it if rain is forecast. Should be ready in 3-4 weeks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

desgnr wrote:
I tried Craigs list
Trash company won't take it.
Any ideas how to get rid of it ?
I wonder is there any negative reasons to puting it under my deck ?
The amount of dirt i have is were i dug it to make a flower bed.
The area is 200Sq. ft. by about 3 inches deep.
Another idea is to spread it out on my lawn & run over it with my Toro
mulching mower ,do you think that would work ? Would the dirt disolve in
the lawn.

I appreciate your ideas

Bury it.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Benjamin Franklin--
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

wrote:
"desgnr" wrote in message

[...]

I don't remember him saying this was top soil. In a lot of places the
backfill around houses is far from a useful top soil and that is why
people dig it out when they want a flower bed.
He could have 2 yards of clay and rocks.

He also didn't say that it was NOT top soil. He said this:

"How would i get the grass off without any dirt"

It's usually a good idea to read the whole thread before jumping into the
fray.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
I tried Craigs list
Trash company won't take it.
Any ideas how to get rid of it ?
I wonder is there any negative reasons to puting it under my deck ?
The amount of dirt i have is were i dug it to make a flower bed.
The area is 200Sq. ft. by about 3 inches deep.
Another idea is to spread it out on my lawn & run over it with my Toro
mulching mower ,do you think that would work ? Would the dirt disolve in
the lawn.

I appreciate your ideas

Put it in your front yard in a pile and put a free dirt sign on it.

Then also put a notice on craigslist.org (your city) and in the for
sale/free area. Stick your address on there. Say you will remove the posting
when the dirt is gone. Best if you can show a picture of the dirt as people
on craigslist can be quite deceptive. The picture will show it is good dirt
and not concrete chunks or a pile of rocks or just a few shovels full.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
"desgnr" wrote in message
[...]

Craigslist garden section, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"desgnr" wrote in message

Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Not sure why you think anyone's interested in a list of your computer stuff.

Especially such damned inferior computer stuff...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-03, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

It's usually a good idea to read the whole thread before jumping into the
fray.

It's also a good idea to trim away all those useless quotes that had
no bearing on your reply.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-08-03, Doug Miller wrote:

Especially such damned inferior computer stuff...

Only inferior if you insist on using M$ Windows. Compared to my
current Linux box, that's a smokin' hotrod!

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

What is top post?
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "desgnr"
wrote:
What is CL ?

Craigslist.

Please don't top-post.

desgnr wrote:
I tried Craigs list
Trash company won't take it.
Any ideas how to get rid of it ?
I wonder is there any negative reasons to puting it under my deck ?
The amount of dirt i have is were i dug it to make a flower bed.
The area is 200Sq. ft. by about 3 inches deep.
Another idea is to spread it out on my lawn & run over it with my Toro
mulching mower ,do you think that would work ? Would the dirt disolve
in the lawn.

I appreciate your ideas

Advertise it on CL as "two yards of clean fill."

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote the following:
In article , "desgnr" wrote:

What is CL ?

Craigslist.

Please don't top-post.

Get a f**kin' life! Is your whole raison d'etre to keep people from top
posting?

desgnr wrote:

I tried Craigs list
Trash company won't take it.
Any ideas how to get rid of it ?
I wonder is there any negative reasons to puting it under my deck ?
The amount of dirt i have is were i dug it to make a flower bed.
The area is 200Sq. ft. by about 3 inches deep.
Another idea is to spread it out on my lawn & run over it with my Toro
mulching mower ,do you think that would work ? Would the dirt disolve
in the lawn.

I appreciate your ideas

Advertise it on CL as "two yards of clean fill."

Jon

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

m...
wrote:

What is CL ?

Craigslist.

Please don't top-post.

Get a f**kin' life! Is your whole raison d'etre to keep people from top
posting?

Miller posts some worthwhile stuff. And at this point in the discussion,
we've established that the OP isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, so
thrashing him/her/it seems appropriate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote the following:

Does that give him the right to dictate how others should respond?
Did you have trouble figuring out to whom I was responding?

m...

wrote:

What is CL ?

Craigslist.

Please don't top-post.

Get a f**kin' life! Is your whole raison d'etre to keep people from top
posting?

Miller posts some worthwhile stuff. And at this point in the discussion,
we've established that the OP isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, so
thrashing him/her/it seems appropriate.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote the following:
m...

wrote:

What is CL ?

Craigslist.

Please don't top-post.

Get a f**kin' life! Is your whole raison d'etre to keep people from top
posting?

Miller posts some worthwhile stuff. And at this point in the discussion,
we've established that the OP isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, so
thrashing him/her/it seems appropriate.

Does that give him the right to dictate how others should respond?

Since I agree with him, the answer would be yes.

Did you have trouble figuring out to whom I was responding?

¿ksa uoy od yhW .oN

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote the following:
"willshak" wrote in message
m...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote the following:

m...

wrote:

What is CL ?

Craigslist.

Please don't top-post.

Get a f**kin' life! Is your whole raison d'etre to keep people from top
posting?

Miller posts some worthwhile stuff. And at this point in the discussion,
we've established that the OP isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, so
thrashing him/her/it seems appropriate.

Does that give him the right to dictate how others should respond?

Since I agree with him, the answer would be yes.

Did you have trouble figuring out to whom I was responding?

¿ksa uoy od yhW .oN

tniop ym devorp uoy nehT

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote the following:
"willshak" wrote in message
m...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote the following:

m...

wrote:

What is CL ?

Craigslist.

Please don't top-post.

Get a f**kin' life! Is your whole raison d'etre to keep people from
top posting?

Miller posts some worthwhile stuff. And at this point in the
discussion, we've established that the OP isn't the sharpest knife in
the drawer, so thrashing him/her/it seems appropriate.

Does that give him the right to dictate how others should respond?

Since I agree with him, the answer would be yes.

Did you have trouble figuring out to whom I was responding?

¿ksa uoy od yhW .oN

tniop ym devorp uoy nehT

That we can adjust the rules of writing any way we want, even to the point
where they're annoying to everyone except a few cranks?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Most flowers like top soil. You oughta left it right there. That said,
sprinkle it on the lawn, and it will blend in.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"desgnr" wrote in message
I tried Craigs list
Trash company won't take it.
Any ideas how to get rid of it ?
I wonder is there any negative reasons to puting it under my deck ?
The amount of dirt i have is were i dug it to make a flower bed.
The area is 200Sq. ft. by about 3 inches deep.
Another idea is to spread it out on my lawn & run over it with my Toro
mulching mower ,do you think that would work ? Would the dirt disolve
in the
lawn.

I appreciate your ideas

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"desgnr" wrote in message
I tried Craigs list
Trash company won't take it.
Any ideas how to get rid of it ?
I wonder is there any negative reasons to puting it under my deck ?
The amount of dirt i have is were i dug it to make a flower bed.
The area is 200Sq. ft. by about 3 inches deep.
Another idea is to spread it out on my lawn & run over it with my Toro
mulching mower ,do you think that would work ? Would the dirt disolve in
the lawn.

I appreciate your ideas

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

You need to improve your descriptions. This is sod. You pile it up and
compost it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"desgnr" wrote in message
I tried Craigs list
Trash company won't take it.
Any ideas how to get rid of it ?
I wonder is there any negative reasons to puting it under my deck ?
The amount of dirt i have is were i dug it to make a flower bed.
The area is 200Sq. ft. by about 3 inches deep.
Another idea is to spread it out on my lawn & run over it with my Toro
mulching mower ,do you think that would work ? Would the dirt disolve
in the
lawn.

I appreciate your ideas

What do you expect from a guy who's sig brags about using a DELL
computer????
Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
I tried Craigs list
Trash company won't take it.
Any ideas how to get rid of it ?
I wonder is there any negative reasons to puting it under my deck ?
The amount of dirt i have is were i dug it to make a flower bed.
The area is 200Sq. ft. by about 3 inches deep.
Another idea is to spread it out on my lawn & run over it with my Toro
mulching mower ,do you think that would work ? Would the dirt disolve
in the
lawn.

I appreciate your ideas

What do you expect from a guy who's sig brags about using a DELL
computer????

Hey, at least his computer has a name. This cobbled pile of
dumpster-dove parts I am posting this on doesn't even know where it was
born. Parts is parts. Plug 'em together and see if they light up. It
works, that is all I care about.

--
aem sends,,,,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 21:27:26 -0400, clare wrote:

[snip]

What do you expect from a guy who's sig brags about using a DELL
computer????

and Vista, which is (at least as far as the UI is concerned) the worst
version of Windows ever.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote:

Trash company won't take it.

It may not take it all at one time, but a shovel-full of
dirt, in a box or bag each week, will probably not even be
noticed or provoke any problem.

I had a neighbor once who had a big stack of old brick
segments and broken concrete blocks - not suitable for
reuse - and he threw 6 in his trash can each week. It took
over a year for the pile to disappear, and the size went
down so slowly that no one else caught on to what he was
doing. (It took him longer than he expected, because I had
some scrap bricks of my own which disposed of by throwing a
couple on his pile each evening.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
"desgnr" wrote in message
I tried Craigs list
Trash company won't take it.
Any ideas how to get rid of it ?
I wonder is there any negative reasons to puting it under my deck ?
The amount of dirt i have is were i dug it to make a flower bed.
The area is 200Sq. ft. by about 3 inches deep.
Another idea is to spread it out on my lawn & run over it with my Toro
mulching mower ,do you think that would work ? Would the dirt disolve in
the lawn.

I appreciate your ideas

Put it in your front yard in a pile and put a free dirt sign on it.

Better yet, put a sign on it "$20". Someone will steal it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote in message
[...]

That's what I have, a pile of mostly free parts. Upgrade when newer
free parts are available, not much ever breaks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"desgnr" wrote:

Trash company won't take it.

It may not take it all at one time, but a shovel-full of
dirt, in a box or bag each week, will probably not even be
noticed or provoke any problem.

I had a neighbor once who had a big stack of old brick
segments and broken concrete blocks - not suitable for
reuse - and he threw 6 in his trash can each week. It took
over a year for the pile to disappear, and the size went
down so slowly that no one else caught on to what he was
doing. (It took him longer than he expected, because I had
some scrap bricks of my own which I disposed of by throwing
couple on his pile each evening.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CWLee" wrote in message
m...
"desgnr" wrote:

Trash company won't take it.

It may not take it all at one time, but a shovel-full of
dirt, in a box or bag each week, will probably not even be
noticed or provoke any problem.

Wow! How small is your trash can? I can fit at least a cubic yard of dirt
into my trash can.

And, more to the point, why on earth would you ever want to get rid of dirt?
Do you have a postage stamp sized yard? Do you never do any gardening,
raised beds, landscaping? Amazing. I have just over an acre and I need to
BUY dirt several times a year. Like a truckload, not just some bags.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote:

Wow! How small is your trash can? I can fit at least a
cubic yard of dirt into my trash can.

I could put a lot more in the can, but the weight might draw
attention to what was being done, and the whole purpose of
doing it a little at a time was to stay under the radar.

And, more to the point, why on earth would you ever want
to get rid of dirt? Do you have a postage stamp sized
yard? Do you never do any gardening, raised beds,
landscaping? Amazing. I have just over an acre and I need
to BUY dirt several times a year. Like a truckload, not
just some bags.

Note that I'm not the OP.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CWLee" wrote in message
m...

"h" wrote:

Wow! How small is your trash can? I can fit at least a cubic yard of dirt
into my trash can.

I could put a lot more in the can, but the weight might draw attention to
what was being done, and the whole purpose of doing it a little at a time
was to stay under the radar.

Your trash cans get weighed when dumped? And you don't mean a large,
commercial, industrial, special order dumpster? Again, weird.Out here in the
boonies the trucks drive up, pick up the can, dump it into the truck, drop
it, and drive away. Really, can you say the trash people do anything
different where you are? No on is going to "weigh" the trash from a regular
trash can. There is only one person doing the pickup, and he/she never gets
out of the truck! Just dump and drive. "If it fits, it ships", to plagiarize
from the USPS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
"CWLee" wrote in message
m...

"h" wrote:

Wow! How small is your trash can? I can fit at least a cubic yard of dirt
into my trash can.

I could put a lot more in the can, but the weight might draw attention to
what was being done, and the whole purpose of doing it a little at a time
was to stay under the radar.

Your trash cans get weighed when dumped? And you don't mean a large,
commercial, industrial, special order dumpster? Again, weird.Out here in the
boonies the trucks drive up, pick up the can, dump it into the truck, drop
it, and drive away. Really, can you say the trash people do anything
different where you are? No on is going to "weigh" the trash from a regular
trash can. There is only one person doing the pickup, and he/she never gets
out of the truck! Just dump and drive. "If it fits, it ships", to plagiarize
from the USPS.

Not every trash company has the claw trucks, especially or rural runs
where you never know what the hell will be sitting at the curb. Around
here there are still one or two guys hanging off the back. Their back
muscles are the scale. If their backs says 'this is too heavy', it
doesn't get dumped. I've pushed it a few times, but I generally only
have a foot or two in the dumpster, so they let me slide some.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"h" wrote:

Your trash cans get weighed when dumped? And you don't
mean a large, commercial, industrial, special order
dumpster? Again, weird.Out here in the boonies the trucks
drive up, pick up the can, dump it into the truck, drop
it, and drive away. Really, can you say the trash people
do anything different where you are? No on is going to
"weigh" the trash from a regular trash can. There is only
one person doing the pickup, and he/she never gets out of
the truck! Just dump and drive. "If it fits, it ships", to
plagiarize from the USPS.

As I understand it, at the start of the mechanical lift from
the street, up and over to the initial receiving chute on
the truck, there is some sort of weight sensor that either
blinks a light in the cab, or sounds a buzzer, if some
pre-determined weight is exceeded. When the driver is
alerted by this he may abort the lift, leaving it for the
customer to handle - or abort the lift and then get out of
the cab and inspect the customer's bin. The driver notes in
a log the street address and the nature of the situation. I
had a "green" bin heavily loaded with sections of a tree
trunk which triggered the alarm. I happen to be there at
the time, with my broom cleaning up, and the driver told me
I had overloaded the bin, but that he would "override" the
alarm and take my stuff, but not to do it again.

How much dirt in a wheelbarrow salad Home Repair 17 October 8th 19 01:44 AM
Where's my dirt going? Nate Zigler Home Repair 10 November 23rd 07 03:13 PM
got dirt? bud[_3_] Home Repair 0 October 29th 07 12:08 AM
Fill dirt? Pounds on Wood Home Repair 5 April 21st 05 06:57 PM
How much dirt in a load? Oscar_Lives Home Repair 2 October 3rd 04 11:56 PM