Can a high-pressure sodium bulb be replaced by metal halide?

Old July 27th 10, 03:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can a high-pressure sodium bulb be replaced by metal halide?

I've got an outdoor parking-lot fixture with high-pressure sodium bulb
that has burned out. The bulb is a 70-watt Sylvania Lumalux:

http://www.greenelectricalsupply.com/lu70-med.aspx

Can I replace this with something that puts out a more whiter light,
like maybe a metal halide bulb, or is the ballast in this fixture
specific and can only with with high-pressure sodium bulbs?
Old July 27th 10, 03:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Sum Guy" wrote in message ...
I've got an outdoor parking-lot fixture with high-pressure sodium bulb
that has burned out. The bulb is a 70-watt Sylvania Lumalux:

http://www.greenelectricalsupply.com/lu70-med.aspx

Can I replace this with something that puts out a more whiter light,
like maybe a metal halide bulb, or is the ballast in this fixture
specific and can only with with high-pressure sodium bulbs?

The ballast is specific to the type of vapor and wattage

Old July 27th 10, 04:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/26/2010 10:28 PM, RBM wrote:
"Sum wrote in message ...
I've got an outdoor parking-lot fixture with high-pressure sodium bulb
that has burned out. The bulb is a 70-watt Sylvania Lumalux:

http://www.greenelectricalsupply.com/lu70-med.aspx

Can I replace this with something that puts out a more whiter light,
like maybe a metal halide bulb, or is the ballast in this fixture
specific and can only with with high-pressure sodium bulbs?

The ballast is specific to the type of vapor and wattage

There are some specific MH lamps made to
work with HPS ballasts. But, there are
usually pretty expensive and are not as
efficient at a "real" MH lamp working
with a MH ballast. My old church was
built with 26 400 watt HPS fixtures. We
found 2 manufacturers (maybe even 3)
that made a MH lamp to work with that
ballast. It was a very pricey mistake
made by the archetect/engineer that the
church ultimately had to pay for.
Old July 27th 10, 05:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

Can I replace this with something that puts out a more whiter
light, like maybe a metal halide bulb, or is the ballast in
this fixture specific and can only with with high-pressure
sodium bulbs?

The ballast is specific to the type of vapor and wattage

Does that mean that I can't (or shouldn't) replace the original 70 watt
HPS with, say, a 100 watt bulb (assuming it was the same size and would
fit in the fixture) ?
Old July 27th 10, 08:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 12:24*am, Sum Guy wrote:
RBM wrote:
Can I replace this with something that puts out a more whiter
light, like maybe a metal halide bulb, or is the ballast in
this fixture specific and can only with with high-pressure
sodium bulbs?

The ballast is specific to the type of vapor and wattage

Does that mean that I can't (or shouldn't) replace the original 70 watt
HPS with, say, a 100 watt bulb (assuming it was the same size and would
fit in the fixture) ?

It means that running a light fixture with a mismatched lamp/ballast
will do several things:

a. reduce lamp life
b. consume more energy for less lighting output
c. burn out the ballast
d. cause the lamp to catastrophically fail

If you want a brighter lamp in your fixture, you need to have a
qualified electrician retrofit your fixture with the proper ballast
which will support using that lamp in the fixture... If the new
desired lamp will even fit inside your fixture housing...

~~ Evan
Old July 27th 10, 05:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Sum Guy wrote:
I've got an outdoor parking-lot fixture with high-pressure sodium bulb
that has burned out. The bulb is a 70-watt Sylvania Lumalux:

http://www.greenelectricalsupply.com/lu70-med.aspx

Can I replace this with something that puts out a more whiter light,
like maybe a metal halide bulb, or is the ballast in this fixture
specific and can only with with high-pressure sodium bulbs?

I took the transformer out of mine and rewired it to take regular bulbs.
I have a CFL in it that gives me all the light I need there. No
reason to light up the whole mountain. It still uses the dusk to dawn
circuit which has a relay so CFLs will work. Those original lamps do
put out some really ugly pink light.