Posted to alt.home.repair

Default septic drain-field caps

Having never owned a septic system prior to our current house... is there
any reason not to recess the drain-field caps so that the tops are level
with the surrounding ground?

The three tank-caps I can always disguise amongst a flower bed or
something so they're still easily accessible for pumping; having to mow
around the seven drain-field caps every week or two too is a pain in the
butt though. I noticed that the neighbours have them trimmed to be flush
with the ground; any reason not to do the same (other than a little
digging needed with a trowel if I do ever need to look at the drain-
field)?

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jules Richardson" wrote in message

Having never owned a septic system prior to our current house... is there
any reason not to recess the drain-field caps so that the tops are level
with the surrounding ground?

The three tank-caps I can always disguise amongst a flower bed or
something so they're still easily accessible for pumping; having to mow
around the seven drain-field caps every week or two too is a pain in the
butt though. I noticed that the neighbours have them trimmed to be flush
with the ground; any reason not to do the same (other than a little
digging needed with a trowel if I do ever need to look at the drain-
field)?

cheers

Jules

I am curious. In my state, Utah, I don't believe that septic drain field
caps are legal. What is the purpose of these caps?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 5:48*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
Having never owned a septic system prior to our current house... is there
any reason not to recess the drain-field caps so that the tops are level
with the surrounding ground?

The three tank-caps I can always disguise amongst a flower bed or
something so they're still easily accessible for pumping; having to mow
around the seven drain-field caps every week or two too is a pain in the
butt though. I noticed that the neighbours have them trimmed to be flush
with the ground; any reason not to do the same (other than a little
digging needed with a trowel if I do ever need to look at the drain-
field)?

cheers

Jules

They might be hard to find in a few years time when overgrown.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 8:24*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com- Hide quoted text -

All field drains eventually block with sediment. The purpose is to
enable the system to be pressure jetted out if this happens. Doesn't
entirely revive them but puts the fateful and expensive day of
replacement off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 3:13*pm, harry wrote:
On Jul 26, 8:24*pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

replacement *off.- Hide quoted text -

If you only flush organic stuff, everything should dissolve. My
septic system is 53 years old, I have the main tank pumped every 5 - 7
years, and never had a problem. I have two cleanouts for the two
halves of the main tank, and there is a junction box where the main
tank empties into three laterals, but don't know where it is except
for the site plan shown on the original plat of survey. The cleanouts
are about 1 foot underground, covered with dirt and grass. They are
also shown on the plat. To confirm their location after we bought the
house 45 years ago, I used a 1/8 inch rod and poked around and found
the corners of the tank, and from there located where the cleanouts
should be. Dug down putting the grass and dirt on a 6 x 9 tarp,
located the cleanout where it was supposed to be and then called the
truck to come. Since I had done all the hard stuff, I saved an hours
worth of time of the honey pot man and saved some serious $$$$. I
tidied up the plat with some landmarks to make it easier to find the
cleanouts and never had to do anything except dig at the right place
the first time ever since then. No one that I know in the Chicago
suburbs has cleanouts for the laterals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 12:48*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
Having never owned a septic system prior to our current house... is there
any reason not to recess the drain-field caps so that the tops are level
with the surrounding ground?

The three tank-caps I can always disguise amongst a flower bed or
something so they're still easily accessible for pumping; having to mow
around the seven drain-field caps every week or two too is a pain in the
butt though. I noticed that the neighbours have them trimmed to be flush
with the ground; any reason not to do the same (other than a little
digging needed with a trowel if I do ever need to look at the drain-
field)?

cheers

Jules

I have only one, set at ground level, for cleanout of alternate drain
field. At ground level, I've had to replace cap twice as kids hit it
with lawn mower, so, you will still have the same problem except
others will not see them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/26/2010 3:13 PM, harry wrote:
On Jul 26, 8:24 pm, "Steve wrote:
"Jules wrote in message

[...]

mines over 40 yrs old and still works fine. I do however have the tank
pumped regularly like your supposed to.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 13:10:44 -0700, harry wrote:
They might be hard to find in a few years time when overgrown.

Hmm, good thinking. Maybe I could sink some rebar next to them (so the
ends are a couple of inches below ground), so I could find them with a
metal detector later if needed. I've got a layout diagram (which came
from the company who installed the system in 2007) but I doubt it's inch-
perfect.

Ten caps sticking up in the front yard just looks ugly, never mind the
mowing factor. Three wouldn't be so bad :-)

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jules Richardson wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 13:10:44 -0700, harry wrote:
They might be hard to find in a few years time when overgrown.

Hmm, good thinking. Maybe I could sink some rebar next to them (so the
ends are a couple of inches below ground), so I could find them with a
metal detector later if needed. I've got a layout diagram (which came
from the company who installed the system in 2007) but I doubt it's inch-
perfect.

Ten caps sticking up in the front yard just looks ugly, never mind the
mowing factor. Three wouldn't be so bad :-)

I've seen them with the PVC sticking out the top back up in PA. I know
I'd cut them down, maybe just to surface level, maybe lower. No need to
look so ugly for 30 or so years when they finally may be needed. If
going below the surface, rebar is a good idea to mark them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:56:54 -0400, Tony wrote:
I've seen them with the PVC sticking out the top back up in PA. I know
I'd cut them down, maybe just to surface level, maybe lower. No need to
look so ugly for 30 or so years when they finally may be needed. If
going below the surface, rebar is a good idea to mark them.

Yeah, I wouldn't deliberately put them sub-surface, but I think Harry's
right and they have a chance to end up covered by dirt and weeds over the
sort of timescale that might pass between access, so some way of finding
them again seems wise. I'll probably take a few measurements relative to
some fixed marker (corner of the house, say) and note them down on the
rough plan that I have, too.

cheers

Jules