Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Recommendations for fixing leaky outdoor t-handled faucets (some of which are embedded in the foundation)?

Bought a house where many of the ouside faucets leak from the t-shaped
screw handle at top.

Just wondering, is it worth "fixing" these?
If not, what's a good replacement strategy?

I would tend to replace them with the ball type with a nice long handle but
some of these leaky outdoor faucets seem to come right out of the
foundation with no joint visible. (Why do they build them that way anyway?)

Do you recommend "fixing" the existing faucet with the t-shaped handle?
Or is there a better solution?

For those faucets which come right out of the house foundation (no
screw-off fitting is visible), how are we supposed to replace them?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"James H." wrote in message
Bought a house where many of the ouside faucets leak from the t-shaped
screw handle at top.

Just wondering, is it worth "fixing" these?
If not, what's a good replacement strategy?

I would tend to replace them with the ball type with a nice long handle
but
some of these leaky outdoor faucets seem to come right out of the
foundation with no joint visible. (Why do they build them that way
anyway?)

Do you recommend "fixing" the existing faucet with the t-shaped handle?
Or is there a better solution?

For those faucets which come right out of the house foundation (no
screw-off fitting is visible), how are we supposed to replace them?

How is the faucet attached to the pipe? Soldered?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 07:28:23 -0700, "James H."
wrote:

For those faucets which come right out of the house foundation (no
screw-off fitting is visible), how are we supposed to replace them?

Turn the water supply off first. Remove the bonnet nut and take the
stem to a hardware store. Match the stem up with the correct size.
Then install the new stem.

I have one hose bib in the garage that is soldered on. Replacing the
stem/valve was fast and easy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 12:04:17 -0400, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
How is the faucet attached to the pipe? Soldered?

It'w weird. Some are clearly screwed on (those I am sure I can remove);
while others, the pipe goes right inside the house foundation. Since I
haven't been on the other side of the foundation (crawl space) I don't know
how they attach. I've a mind to saw them off and then attach some threads
somehow, on the outside, where they belong!

I know I can eventually replace the whole set of faucets ... or fix them
.... but I was more looking for advice from the experienced.

For example, a leaky radiator is rarely worth "fixing"; you just replace it
(and any hose within ten feet vicinity) if you know what's good for you in
the long run.

I'm just not sure since I don't have experience with outdoor faucets if
it's "worth" fixing them or if I should replace them.

I hate the fact they always sieze up so if I do replace 'em I would want
the longest term replacement. I think that's a ball valve. The only thing I
don't like about most ball valves is that the handles seem too short.

I hate the T handles and I hate the round handles. What I like is a nice
loooooong lever. It's hard to find them in faucets though (I have them in
all my shutoffs though).

So, just looking for advice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 09:24:22 -0700, Oren wrote:

Replacing the stem/valve was fast and easy.

I might have to do that for the ones I can't replace.

For the ones I can replace, do you have any suggestions for a good RELIABLE
ball valve with a good loooooong easy-to-turn handle?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"James H." wrote in message
[...]

See Oren's message and let us know the results.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 09:44:59 -0700, "James H."
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 09:24:22 -0700, Oren wrote:

Replacing the stem/valve was fast and easy.

I might have to do that for the ones I can't replace.

For the ones I can replace, do you have any suggestions for a good RELIABLE
ball valve with a good loooooong easy-to-turn handle?

I know you want a long handle, however look at the ball valve hose bib
with a 1/4 turn handle. HD carries them in my area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Needs new packing materials for under the nut, also.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

For those faucets which come right out of the house foundation (no
screw-off fitting is visible), how are we supposed to replace them?

Turn the water supply off first. Remove the bonnet nut and take the
stem to a hardware store. Match the stem up with the correct size.
Then install the new stem.

I have one hose bib in the garage that is soldered on. Replacing the
stem/valve was fast and easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 20:06:12 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Needs new packing materials for under the nut, also.

That may stop/slow a leak at the stem, under the bonnet nut. One can
always snug the nut up and pray for better days.

It won't stop a leak in the throat of the hose bib. Worn seat/washer
stuff.

I notice you top posited above my comments and it got clipped.

Help the children in Ethiopia and bottom post.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 26, 10:28*am, "James H." wrote:
Bought a house where many of the ouside faucets leak from the t-shaped
screw handle at top.

Just wondering, is it worth "fixing" these?
If not, what's a good replacement strategy?

I would tend to replace them with the ball type with a nice long handle but
some of these leaky outdoor faucets seem to come right out of the
foundation with no joint visible. (Why do they build them that way anyway?)

Do you recommend "fixing" the existing faucet with the t-shaped handle?
Or is there a better solution?

For those faucets which come right out of the house foundation (no
screw-off fitting is visible), how are we supposed to replace them?

just tighten the nut the t handle goes thru, that will likely fix the
drip.......