Posted to alt.home.repair

Default squirrel trap plans

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

Won't it be a bit tricky to adjust for the weight of the tree branch?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

Won't it be a bit tricky to adjust for the weight of the tree branch?

The tree branch will be free standing, and not touch the tube. Sorry, that
was a crude drawing, but it is that simple. A branch, a barrel, a tube, and
some peanut butter and water. I think it will work fine. I'll know soon,
as I'll probably get the parts tomorrow and start on it. The squirrels
have been collecting the apples on the ground, and it's just about time for
them to head up the tree.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 8:34 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.comwatch for the book

Andy comments:

I've seen a similar device which is used in Asia to catch rats and
mice. A squirrel is large compared to the 5 gallon barrel, and they
are smart little buggers, so I'd be curious as to whether it works on
and animal as large as a squirrel, but good luck....

Many time I have gone into my garage to find a drowned mouse
in a 5 gal bucket that has a couple inches of water in it, such as a
mop pail that hadn't been emptied....

Please post back here to let us know how the idea works out....

I would suggest putting grease on the part of the tube that will
lower the squirrel into the water to make it really slick. Their feet
will grip really well, and they, unlike rats, can almost wrap their
feet around the tube to get a better grip.

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Posted to alt.home.repair

They use these a lot in the Michigan UP to catch mice. Instead of
water they use antifreeze. Not only does it keep the water from
freezing but it kills them quicker and keeps the smell down..

What a friend of mine did to keep the squirrels out of his bird feeder
was run a wire out to it and hook the wire to a switch in the house.
When he saw the squirrel going up the pole to the feeder he would flip
the switch. Works great.

Jim

Andy comments:

* I've seen a similar device which is used in Asia to catch rats and
mice. * A squirrel is large compared to the 5 gallon barrel, and they
are smart little buggers, so I'd be curious as to whether it works on
and animal as large as a squirrel, but good luck....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 9:34*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.comwatch for the book

Simply wrap the trunk of the tree with a 24" wide piece of aluminum
flashing. They can't climb then. Pretty common solution.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message
On Jul 11, 8:34 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

That's one mighty darn smart strong squirrel if they can do it inside the
tube!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgangnc wrote:

On Jul 11, 9:34*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.comwatch for the book

Simply wrap the trunk of the tree with a 24" wide piece of aluminum
flashing. They can't climb then. Pretty common solution.

And it works fine [12" flashing is what I use] as long as there isn't
another tree branch within 5 feet of the tree you're trying to
protect--- 10 if it has some height over the target tree.

The squirrels are welcome to my mulberries is so far as there is no
guard on the tree. But they rarely climb that tree. They come
from my neighbors maple- to his oak- to my maple- to my hickory- BFJ
[big f-ing jump] to one spruce- then to the next spruce- down the ash
tree-- and over to the mulberry.

My peach tree in the back has some similar access from a couple sumacs
and an oak tree. The buggers climb up the kids swings to jump to the
cherry trees.

The flashing *has* kept them out of the birdhouse where they killed
the owlets this spring-- or maybe they just lost interest.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

I threw one together with the easiest to get to parts I had lying
around. I used a 20gallon trash bbl & 4" light PVC.

Set it up last night & got 2 squirrels today.

I had some trouble setting up the video camera to motion detection- so
after I got the first squirrel, I switched the camera to still
pictures and got a few of the second guy playing around. I also
watched him for 10 minutes or so- but never saw him 'get caught'.

What I saw, and what I have pictures of, is the squirrel on the
outside of the bbl, reaching over to clean up the peanut butter on the
pipe.

The inside of the pipe got cleaned up, so he must have gone in at some
point- but I didn't see it.

I've figured out the setting I missed for taking video on the motion
detection setting- so tomorrow I might get some video. [I'm using a
point-and-shoot Canon with the chdk hack- from chdk.org ]

Here are the stills of the setup-
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...p/IMG_7269.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...p/IMG_7270.jpg

I think when I dig that 55gallon bbl out I might just go with the
spinning can type dumper, but this was pretty simple to set up.

I used a can of beans on a string as weight to find the pivot point.
You can see the rubber band on the chain is stretched out in the one
picture. There might be a more elegant way of resetting, but the
chain & rubber band seems to work.

I should have set it up so the pivot point was at the edge of the
barrel, not 3-4inches into it. But it works-- so what am I
bitchin' about.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 19:21:39 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Outstanding!

Nice property...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote:

[...]

My royalty department attorneys will be in touch.

I never thought about a stop chain, just letting it go full vertical, but if
you don't have some sort of a stop, it won't reset back to horizontal. I
have been working on my book solid for the last two days, and it has been
hot as blazes here. Too hot to go outside. 110 forecast. I went out to
the shop a while ago and turned on the cooler and opened the door. Am going
to go out there tonight and work on it a bit. I don't want those squirrels
to get ahead of me on the apple trees like they did on the almond trees.
Great to hear that the principle works. I guess they don't hesitate to go
into the tunnel. And once it tips, it doesn't matter how much the pipe
weighs.

Hehe ..........

That's a fat squirrel. Lucky he didn't get stuck.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:

[...]

I forgot to ask. I see you have a recycle symbol there. Do they recycle
squirrels where you are?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:
-snip-

I forgot to ask. I see you have a recycle symbol there. Do they recycle
squirrels where you are?

I do. I toss them into the compost pile & next year they'll be
tomatoes.G

Automation is a wonderful thing. My garbage folks replaced my two
'customer supplied' cans with one that they supply that the truck can
dump.
So now I have two garbage cans to play with.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:

-snip-
My royalty department attorneys will be in touch.

I'll give 'em 1/2 of my net worth. . . $0/2.g

I never thought about a stop chain, just letting it go full vertical, but if
you don't have some sort of a stop, it won't reset back to horizontal. I
have been working on my book solid for the last two days, and it has been
hot as blazes here. Too hot to go outside. 110 forecast.

I'm not fond of heat myself. I played with this right in front of
the squirrel cage [the irony escaped me until just now] fan I salvaged
from my old furnace. That moves some air!

I went out to
the shop a while ago and turned on the cooler and opened the door. Am going
to go out there tonight and work on it a bit. I don't want those squirrels
to get ahead of me on the apple trees like they did on the almond trees.
Great to hear that the principle works. I guess they don't hesitate to go
into the tunnel. And once it tips, it doesn't matter how much the pipe
weighs.

If some physics geek is reading this I hope he/she chimes in- I'm sure
it makes some difference-- just don't know if it makes enough for us
to think about.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote:

-snip-
[...]

I had grandiose ideas of a Rube Goldberg contraption with all sorts of
gates, switches, latches, and such. What I ended up with was a sheet metal
tube (I couldn't find any poly tube), a 1x3, a hinge, and a couple of other
simple things. Total cost at retail, less than one dollar. I put it out
this evening with some apples in the water, and some peanut butter in the
barrel. I was going to add some yeast, but my wife could not find it, so
that might be tomorrow. Instead, I cut some fresh apple slivers and threw
them down the canyon side where I know the little darlings live. I will
take some photos after it sits for a couple of days.

MAJOR CAVEAT for newbies - check it daily, or the smell will knock you down.
Ever dispose of a squirrel the size of a regulation NBA basketball? Don't
ask.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I dont understand why anyone would want to kill a squirrel, they are
cute and inoffensive and can be tamed if you want.......

just protect your building so they cant get inside, and to discourage
them futher dont leave their favorite foods out, that will only
attract them
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 14:03:39 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I dont understand why anyone would want to kill a squirrel, they are
cute and inoffensive and can be tamed if you want.......

From about 10 feet away, I might give you 'cute'-- close up they are
rats.

No way are they 'inoffensive' - they are vermin of the lowest order.

My war with squirrels began when they killed the baby Pileated
Woodpeckers in my back yard.

It has continued through the years as they pillage my garden, destroy
my birdfeeders, wipe out my fruit trees, and raid the birds nests
[this year they got a Screech Owls eggs]

just protect your building so they cant get inside, and to discourage
them futher dont leave their favorite foods out, that will only
attract them

I've never had any inside.

Got plans for an inexpensive indoor greenhouse that can include an
orchard and 5000sq foot garden?

You can be as nice to squirrels as you want anywhere but on my
property. The fuzzy tailed rats are personae non gratae here.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I dont understand why anyone would want to kill a squirrel, they are
cute and inoffensive and can be tamed if you want.......

From about 10 feet away, I might give you 'cute'-- close up they are
rats.

No way are they 'inoffensive' - they are vermin of the lowest order.

My war with squirrels began when they killed the baby Pileated
Woodpeckers in my back yard.

It has continued through the years as they pillage my garden, destroy
my birdfeeders, wipe out my fruit trees, and raid the birds nests
[this year they got a Screech Owls eggs]

just protect your building so they cant get inside, and to discourage
them futher dont leave their favorite foods out, that will only
attract them

I've never had any inside.

Got plans for an inexpensive indoor greenhouse that can include an
orchard and 5000sq foot garden?

You can be as nice to squirrels as you want anywhere but on my
property. The fuzzy tailed rats are personae non gratae here.

Jim

I would suggest that hallerb get a few of them around his house and then get
back to us in a few months. You forgot to mention they carry fleas, and all
manner of stuff. Tamed? They'll bite you first chance they get. I hate
even touching them, they smell so much.

Checked my trap this morning, and it was tipped. Found out it needed
tweaking a bit. Reset it, and am going out to check this afternoon. How
many did you get today?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote

Checked my trap this morning, and it was tipped. Found out it needed
tweaking a bit. Reset it, and am going out to check this afternoon. How
many did you get today?

Steve

OOps. Humans - 1
Squirrels - 0

Fat bugger, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:18:24 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

OOps. Humans - 1
Squirrels - 0

Fat bugger, too.

Must be the extreme heat and they wanted a swim?

It's a 111° -- my truck temp said 125° today.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I dont understand why anyone would want to kill a squirrel, they are
cute and inoffensive and can be tamed if you want.......

They taste better than whale blubber. plan and simple!

Toss in some brown gravy and biscuits -- you can't beat it with a
stick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

havahart trap move them far away.

my best friendfeeds squirrels, they come right up to me, are cute and
havent bitten anyone.

i have taken peanuts to toss them........

I DONT beilieve in killing anything unnecessarily!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
havahart trap move them far away.

my best friendfeeds squirrels, they come right up to me, are cute and
havent bitten anyone.

i have taken peanuts to toss them........

I DONT beilieve in killing anything unnecessarily!

When they strip your fruit trees, it's necessary.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 16, 12:53*am, "Steve B" wrote:
wrote in message

havahart trap move them far away.

my best friendfeeds squirrels, they come right up to me, are cute and
havent bitten anyone.

i have taken peanuts to toss them........

I DONT beilieve in killing anything unnecessarily!

When they strip your fruit trees, it's necessary.

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.comwatch for the book

they must eat too, just like humans.

so what sort of fruit trees? do you really need that fruit and are
going to use the fruit?

by the time the birds and insects get to fruit trees around here
theres little left to harvest
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 20:41:09 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

havahart trap move them far away.

So are you the ******* that keeps dropping them off at my house?
Eliminate the middle man- kill them yourself.

my best friendfeeds squirrels, they come right up to me, are cute and
havent bitten anyone.

Until they do--- But feel free to do whatever you want with
'your' squirrels.

i have taken peanuts to toss them........

I DONT beilieve in killing anything unnecessarily!

Nor do I. Perhaps our definitions of necessary differ?

I kill mosquitoes, mice, rats, hornets and yellow jackets & a bunch of
other vermin. [not to mention stuff I eat and wear] I 're-locate'
bees, snakes, spiders & critters that are just in the wrong place.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

-snip-
they must eat too, just like humans.

If you are a vegan, then I can at least respect your choice [though I
don't understand it at all & I'm the wrong guy to be proselytizing
to]. If you're not a vegan than you're just an anthropomorphizing,
whacked out, meddling, nutjob. Drop dead.

so what sort of fruit trees? do you really need that fruit and are
going to use the fruit?

Need? Are you a city boy who has never had the pleasure of eating
food straight from the vine/bush/tree/ground?

by the time the birds and insects get to fruit trees around here
theres little left to harvest

Your squirrels don't eat fruit?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

havahart trap move them far away.

my best friendfeeds squirrels, they come right up to me, are cute and
havent bitten anyone.

i have taken peanuts to toss them........

I DONT beilieve in killing anything unnecessarily!

When they strip your fruit trees, it's necessary.

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.comwatch for the book

they must eat too, just like humans.

so what sort of fruit trees? do you really need that fruit and are
going to use the fruit?

by the time the birds and insects get to fruit trees around here
theres little left to harvest

reply:

I tell you what. You do what you want to in your life, and I'll do the
same.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 8:43 am, "Steve B" wrote:

That's one mighty darn smart strong squirrel if they can do it inside the
tube!

Steve

Andy comments:]

Wow !! Why would you assume that the squirrel would ever try to
go INSIDE the tube....
You don't know squirrels....... they ALWAYS go on the outside.....
Damn smart buggers...... I can hardly ever catch one in a trap.
Fortunately, I have a scoped Henry... Works great ...... Much
more fun, too...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 4:03 pm, " wrote:
I dont understand why anyone would want to kill a squirrel, they are
cute and inoffensive and can be tamed if you want.......

just protect your building so they cant get inside, and to discourage
them futher dont leave their favorite foods out, that will only
attract them

Andy comments:
You haven't had to live with them..

One got into my motorhome and ripped out a bunch of wires to
carry off to a tree somewhere to make a nice nest..... Several
thousand to ffix it..... After that, ... they weren't so "cute"..
They are "tree rats"

As long as they stay in my neighbor's property, I like to look
at them. If they come over the property line, I have a scoped
Henry that will enlighten them as to property rights....

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message
On Jul 12, 8:43 am, "Steve B" wrote:

That's one mighty darn smart strong squirrel if they can do it inside the
tube!

Steve

Andy comments:]

Wow !! Why would you assume that the squirrel would ever try to
go INSIDE the tube....
You don't know squirrels....... they ALWAYS go on the outside.....
Damn smart buggers...... I can hardly ever catch one in a trap.
Fortunately, I have a scoped Henry... Works great ...... Much
more fun, too...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Jim E has caught two the first day on his by them going inside the tube. I
caught one. I did slather the outside of my tube with peanut butter, and
made a nice stepoff point for them to step on to the outside of the tube.

BTW, I don't like the words should, probably, always, and never. They seem
like they don't even belong in the English language, as they define nothing.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message
On Jul 15, 4:03 pm, " wrote:
I dont understand why anyone would want to kill a squirrel, they are
cute and inoffensive and can be tamed if you want.......

just protect your building so they cant get inside, and to discourage
them futher dont leave their favorite foods out, that will only
attract them

Andy comments:
You haven't had to live with them..

One got into my motorhome and ripped out a bunch of wires to
carry off to a tree somewhere to make a nice nest..... Several
thousand to ffix it..... After that, ... they weren't so "cute"..
They are "tree rats"

As long as they stay in my neighbor's property, I like to look
at them. If they come over the property line, I have a scoped
Henry that will enlighten them as to property rights....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

I have a scoped Marlin 60 that works very well. Trouble is, you have to sit
out there so long in the heat and skeeters.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wow !! Why would you assume that the squirrel would ever try to
go INSIDE the tube....

Because the squirrels here live in burrows and caves? Tubes and holes are
their safe haven, and where they are raised?

You don't know squirrels....... they ALWAYS go on the outside.....

No, you don't know the squirrels where I live, or where Jim E. lives.
Either you are wrong, or Jim and I have some seriously dumb squirrels. Or
the squirrels where you are happen to be neurotic in not liking dark hiding
places.

Are they liberal squirrels?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 16, 2:18*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
*Wow !! Why would you assume that the squirrel would ever try to
go INSIDE the tube....

Because the squirrels here live in burrows and caves? *Tubes and holes are
their safe haven, and where they are raised?

* You don't know squirrels....... they ALWAYS go on the outside.....

No, you don't know the squirrels where I live, or where Jim E. lives.
Either you are wrong, or Jim and I have some seriously dumb squirrels. *Or
the squirrels where you are happen to be neurotic in not liking dark hiding
places.

Are they liberal squirrels?

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com

more will just move in, think of stopping a flooding river by bailing
with a bucket
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Jul 16, 2:18 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Wow !! Why would you assume that the squirrel would ever try to
go INSIDE the tube....

Because the squirrels here live in burrows and caves? Tubes and holes are
their safe haven, and where they are raised?

You don't know squirrels....... they ALWAYS go on the outside.....

No, you don't know the squirrels where I live, or where Jim E. lives.
Either you are wrong, or Jim and I have some seriously dumb squirrels. Or
the squirrels where you are happen to be neurotic in not liking dark
hiding
places.

Are they liberal squirrels?

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com

more will just move in, think of stopping a flooding river by bailing
with a bucket

reply: And just like the evil republican conservative slum lord that I am,
I will keep evicting them. Wait, that's killing them, then evicting them.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 14:16:25 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

more will just move in, think of stopping a flooding river by bailing
with a bucket

More like- think of bailing a boat. You won't dry the river up, but
you might get rid of enough to harvest a crop once in a while.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/16/2010 9:16 AM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
On Jul 16, 12:53 am, "Steve wrote:
wrote in message

havahart trap move them far away.

my best friendfeeds squirrels, they come right up to me, are cute and
havent bitten anyone.

i have taken peanuts to toss them........

I DONT beilieve in killing anything unnecessarily!

When they strip your fruit trees, it's necessary.

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.comwatch for the book

they must eat too, just like humans.

so what sort of fruit trees? do you really need that fruit and are
going to use the fruit?

by the time the birds and insects get to fruit trees around here
theres little left to harvest

reply:

I tell you what. You do what you want to in your life, and I'll do the
same.

Steve

Would you like to join my vegetable rights group? Plants have feelings
too, adopt a broccoli. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote in message
On Jul 16, 12:53 am, "Steve *wrote:
*wrote in message

[...]

YOU SOUND LIKE A VEGETABLE
I BET YOU LOVE WEEDS TOO

DON'T TELL US WHAT YOU DO WITH VEGGIES AND YOUR BEES WAX REMEDY
KEEP THAT TO YOURSELF

I AM PROTEUS
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:

How
many did you get today?

2 days, no captures. The video camera is flaky- but I've got video
of a blue jay and a chipmunk cleaning up the peantbutter. . . .

And several of a very acrobatic squirrel who has discovered that the
key is to go into the 'dunking' end, and don't slow down. Then he
pops out of the 'entrance' end and clans up the peanut butter he grabs
on the way through.

So the width of the barrel and length of the tube is important--- but
4" is plenty for 'my' squirrels.

I've been having some luck catching chipmunks in a 5 gallon bucket
with a handful of sunflower seeds thrown on the water's surface. So
I put some peanutbutter on some bits of Styrofoam and tossed them into
the barrel to see if I can entice him to go swimming.

Had my first fresh picked peach in 3 years yesterday. Heavenly.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 17, 8:35*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Steve B" wrote:
[...]

there should be laws against killing animals just because you can..
one day a disease may look at you the same way.

just trap and relocate.........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 16, 10:50 am, "Steve B" wrote:
..

BTW, I don't like the words should, probably, always, and never. They seem
like they don't even belong in the English language, as they define nothing.

Andy replies:

You're right. I should probably choose my words more carefully. I
always
give it a try but never seem to be able to accomplish it......

For the record, tho, one can't define "nothing" since there is nothing
define.

Regarding squirrels. OK.... Your experience is probably different
from mine.
I always prefer to shoot the little buggers with my scoped Henry from
the
back porch, but I always am aware that many people never have the
opportunity......like they should.

I have a good recipe for squirrel stew, tho..... I call it my
GSP special (Gustatus Similis Pullus).....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

What to do with dead squirrel? [email protected][_2_] Home Repair 73 May 3rd 09 08:50 AM
Super squirrel deia Home Repair 3 March 2nd 08 10:44 PM
Super squirrel deia Metalworking 0 March 2nd 08 10:13 PM
SQUIRREL FEEDER J T Woodworking 3 September 26th 05 05:01 PM
Bullet trap plans Tom Gardner Metalworking 24 April 6th 05 02:52 AM