squirrel trap plans

Old July 12th 10, 02:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default squirrel trap plans

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

Old July 12th 10, 04:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

Won't it be a bit tricky to adjust for the weight of the tree branch?
Old July 12th 10, 06:29 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

Won't it be a bit tricky to adjust for the weight of the tree branch?

The tree branch will be free standing, and not touch the tube. Sorry, that
was a crude drawing, but it is that simple. A branch, a barrel, a tube, and
some peanut butter and water. I think it will work fine. I'll know soon,
as I'll probably get the parts tomorrow and start on it. The squirrels
have been collecting the apples on the ground, and it's just about time for
them to head up the tree.

Steve

Old July 12th 10, 10:33 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 8:34 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.comwatch for the book

Andy comments:

I've seen a similar device which is used in Asia to catch rats and
mice. A squirrel is large compared to the 5 gallon barrel, and they
are smart little buggers, so I'd be curious as to whether it works on
and animal as large as a squirrel, but good luck....

Many time I have gone into my garage to find a drowned mouse
in a 5 gal bucket that has a couple inches of water in it, such as a
mop pail that hadn't been emptied....

Please post back here to let us know how the idea works out....

I would suggest putting grease on the part of the tube that will
lower the squirrel into the water to make it really slick. Their feet
will grip really well, and they, unlike rats, can almost wrap their
feet around the tube to get a better grip.

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Old July 12th 10, 11:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair

They use these a lot in the Michigan UP to catch mice. Instead of
water they use antifreeze. Not only does it keep the water from
freezing but it kills them quicker and keeps the smell down..

What a friend of mine did to keep the squirrels out of his bird feeder
was run a wire out to it and hook the wire to a switch in the house.
When he saw the squirrel going up the pole to the feeder he would flip
the switch. Works great.

Jim

Old July 12th 10, 01:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 9:34*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.comwatch for the book

Simply wrap the trunk of the tree with a 24" wide piece of aluminum
flashing. They can't climb then. Pretty common solution.
Old July 12th 10, 02:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message
On Jul 11, 8:34 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

That's one mighty darn smart strong squirrel if they can do it inside the
tube!

Steve

Old July 12th 10, 03:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgangnc wrote:

On Jul 11, 9:34*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.comwatch for the book

Simply wrap the trunk of the tree with a 24" wide piece of aluminum
flashing. They can't climb then. Pretty common solution.

And it works fine [12" flashing is what I use] as long as there isn't
another tree branch within 5 feet of the tree you're trying to
protect--- 10 if it has some height over the target tree.

The squirrels are welcome to my mulberries is so far as there is no
guard on the tree. But they rarely climb that tree. They come
from my neighbors maple- to his oak- to my maple- to my hickory- BFJ
[big f-ing jump] to one spruce- then to the next spruce- down the ash
tree-- and over to the mulberry.

My peach tree in the back has some similar access from a couple sumacs
and an oak tree. The buggers climb up the kids swings to jump to the
cherry trees.

The flashing *has* kept them out of the birdhouse where they killed
the owlets this spring-- or maybe they just lost interest.

Jim
Old July 15th 10, 12:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

I threw one together with the easiest to get to parts I had lying
around. I used a 20gallon trash bbl & 4" light PVC.

Set it up last night & got 2 squirrels today.

I had some trouble setting up the video camera to motion detection- so
after I got the first squirrel, I switched the camera to still
pictures and got a few of the second guy playing around. I also
watched him for 10 minutes or so- but never saw him 'get caught'.

What I saw, and what I have pictures of, is the squirrel on the
outside of the bbl, reaching over to clean up the peanut butter on the
pipe.

The inside of the pipe got cleaned up, so he must have gone in at some
point- but I didn't see it.

I've figured out the setting I missed for taking video on the motion
detection setting- so tomorrow I might get some video. [I'm using a
point-and-shoot Canon with the chdk hack- from chdk.org ]

Here are the stills of the setup-
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...p/IMG_7269.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...p/IMG_7270.jpg

I think when I dig that 55gallon bbl out I might just go with the
spinning can type dumper, but this was pretty simple to set up.

I used a can of beans on a string as weight to find the pivot point.
You can see the rubber band on the chain is stretched out in the one
picture. There might be a more elegant way of resetting, but the
chain & rubber band seems to work.

I should have set it up so the pivot point was at the edge of the
barrel, not 3-4inches into it. But it works-- so what am I
bitchin' about.

Jim
Old July 15th 10, 12:55 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 19:21:39 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Outstanding!

Nice property...

What to do with dead squirrel? [email protected][_2_] Home Repair 73 May 3rd 09 07:50 AM
Super squirrel deia Home Repair 3 March 2nd 08 09:44 PM
Super squirrel deia Metalworking 0 March 2nd 08 09:13 PM
SQUIRREL FEEDER J T Woodworking 3 September 26th 05 04:01 PM
Bullet trap plans Tom Gardner Metalworking 24 April 6th 05 01:52 AM