Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default filling hinge mortises?

Hi all

got a used paneled door to hang in my spare bedroom in place of the
original one which just wasn't there when we bought the house. I need
to fill the mortises for the hinge on the door (or the jamb, doesn't
matter, really, but the door needs to be repainted after I'm done
anyway so I figured I'd do that) and chisel new ones in a different
location. I'm trying to think what to buy when I go to the store;
shim stock or shingles could be made to work but would require a lot
of planing/sanding, is there any wood product that you can think of
that is flat and 3/16" or more thick (but obviously not so thick that
it would require excessive planing/sanding when done) I thought of
using paint sticks but I think they will be too narrow. (3-1/2"
hinges) they did save my butt once on an old paned window though;
someone had busted the thin bit of a mullion and a paint stick shaped
with a knife was just the right size G my landlord thought I was a
genius... (he was easily impressed)

thanks

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

N8N wrote:

shim stock or shingles could be made to work but would require a lot
of planing/sanding, is there any wood product that you can think of
that is flat and 3/16" or more thick (but obviously not so thick that
it would require excessive planing/sanding when done) ...

A small piece of pine w/ decent grain and a (sharp) block plane will
make quick work of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 9:15*am, N8N wrote:
[...]

I too always keep a supply of free paint stirring sticks around for
small wood tasks. Lowes has some "big" ones for the 5 gallon cans.
They are thicker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote the following:
[...]

Go to AC Moore, Michaels, or other hobby store and pick up some
hobby/craft Basswood planks (not balsa).
They are about 2' or 3' long, 3" or 4" wide, and various thicknesses.
AAMOF, I have a left over piece in my hand that is 3/16" thick and 3"
wide. This particular piece was cut and is currently 17" long.
I built dollhouse furniture with it.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jul 9, 9:59*am, willshak wrote:
N8N wrote the following:

[...]

Ah, so they do sell same? I have a Michael's on my way home from
work, I will def. check this out. I knew there had to be an easy
solution, just couldn't think of it.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote the following:

[...]

nate- Hide quoted text -

Not a particularly cheap soltion as hobby wood is well made and nicely
finished. I used to use it in RC gliders.
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

N8N wrote the following:

[...]

if it saves me time, it's worth it. Besides, I think I paid $12 for
the door at the architectural salvage (that's a fancy phrase for
"house junkyard.") Probably already paid more than that for the
hinges, I don't recall.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-09, N8N wrote:

got a used paneled door to hang in my spare bedroom in place of the
original one which just wasn't there when we bought the house. I need
to fill the mortises for the hinge on the door

The first thing that comes to my mind is architectural epoxy filler,
but I happen to have some lying around. It is fairly expensive, but
if you expect to have to do something similar again, or to do any
exterior wood repair, it would be worth it. If you get a small
quantity and want to conserve it, you can embed any pieces of wood you
have that are undersized, like the paintsticks pieces you mention.

My prefered filler is the one from advancedrepair.com, although my
experience is far from exhaustive.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 9:15*am, N8N wrote:
[...]

It's a toss up between cutting wood or using Bondo. They'd both take
about the same amount of time, once you figured in planing or sanding
to get a smooth surface, but I'd go with wood because I don't like
sanding resins unless I have to.

The Borg sells thin wood in small sizes, as does any crafts store. If
you go to a Sherwin Williams store and ask nicely, they'll give you
some large paint stirrers that are used for bigger buckets.

Are the existing hinge mortises so far off that you can't re-use the
locations?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 9, 9:15 am, N8N wrote:
Hi all

got a used paneled door to hang in my spare bedroom in place of the
original one which just wasn't there when we bought the house. I need
to fill the mortises for the hinge on the door (or the jamb, doesn't
matter, really, but the door needs to be repainted after I'm done
anyway so I figured I'd do that) ...

Are the existing hinge mortises so far off that you can't re-use the
locations?

As OP said, one or the other pair -- it's old work door in existing
frame so they don't match up...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/09/2010 04:30 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 9, 9:15 am, wrote:
[...]

Yes, I'd have to have a helper hold the door in the exact location to
tell, but I'm not even sure if there's any overlap. Definitely at least
2" off on each hinge. (higher on upper, lower on lower - need help
because door is a little short but that's OK because I have a nice
persian rug in that room so the clearance is helpful)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 9:15 am, *wrote:
[...]

Yes, that was my question. I wasn't clear on your description -
whether you were going to move them a bit or a lot. You could of
course get some 5.5" or 6" hinges and just cover everything up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
N8N wrote:

shim stock or shingles could be made to work but would require a lot
of planing/sanding, is there any wood product that you can think of
that is flat and 3/16" or more thick (but obviously not so thick that
it would require excessive planing/sanding when done) ...

A small piece of pine w/ decent grain and a (sharp) block plane will
make quick work of it.

--

And we have a winner! Don't over-think this, it isn't that hard. Square
up the hinge mortises with a sharp chisel, and cut a square-cornered

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/09/2010 07:39 PM, aemeijers wrote:
dpb wrote:
N8N wrote:

[...]

right, but the reason I was asking was that I don't have a table saw, so
no way to make thin pieces of pine from scrap 2x4 or what have you. I
know, I really *should* get one, but...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
N8N wrote:

[...]

For a tiny job like this, one of the 5-buck plastic miter boxes and saws
will work fine. Just buy a stick of trim at the borg- labeled 'screen
mold', probably- and cut the ends square. They will have something
pretty close. You can whittle the width pretty close with a fresh blade
in a utility knife. For that matter, for pine that thin, you could make
all the cuts with a utility knife, if you are patient and have a good
square. You only need to end up with one flat face, and 3 flat edges-
the rest will be handled by the planing and sanding.

These are the kind of jobs Harbor Freight tools are good for. Something
you'll probably only do once every five years.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

aemeijers wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

right, but the reason I was asking was that I don't have a table saw,
so no way to make thin pieces of pine from scrap 2x4 or what have
you. I know, I really *should* get one, but...

For a tiny job like this, one of the 5-buck plastic miter boxes and saws
will work fine. ...

Hell, for this you could split off a piece w/ a chisel from a piece of
wunbafor...

Posted to alt.home.repair

N8N wrote the following:

[...]

Dunno if It has been mentioned. In my 'rehab a shack' project I had
several places that need filling. Drywall mud does a wonderful job of
it. Takes multiple coats due to the shrinkage and then some sanding.
As long as it is only to level the surface for paint and has no stress
on it it seems to last forever. I did some in uh....around mid 80s
and it is still perfect.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"N8N" wrote in message
[...]

You are making this way more complicated than it needs to be. This is such
basic carpentry that I was probably 10 years old when I did it the first
time with no power tools and only very basic hand tools. You take a piece of
wood, any wood but pine without knots is easier to work, sand or plane one
side and one edge, flat and smooth. You saw or plane it to slightly wider
than the mortise, saw off about a quarter inch thickness and saw to length,
glue into the mortise and when set, plane to flush with the door edge and
side. If needed touch up with wood filler. Done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"N8N" wrote in message
[...]

Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty. Easy to use. Works great. Available at
Ace Hardware and probably Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Comes in a round can.
Here's what it looks like:

http://www.thepaintstore.com/Durham_...m?1=1&CartID=0

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have used a DAP product called "plastic wood" for this purpose.
Then sand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"zzyzzx" wrote in message
I have used a DAP product called "plastic wood" for this purpose.
Then sand.

Also a good product, and easy to use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2010 2:08 PM, zzyzzx wrote:
I have used a DAP product called "plastic wood" for this purpose.
Then sand.

Cut a length of paint stir-stick to fit, and inlay it. (it's called a
"Dutchman")

Bob