Posted to alt.home.repair

Default squirrel trap plans

wrote in message
On Jul 17, 8:35 am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Steve B" wrote:
How
many did you get today?

2 days, no captures. The video camera is flaky- but I've got video
of a blue jay and a chipmunk cleaning up the peantbutter. . . .

And several of a very acrobatic squirrel who has discovered that the
key is to go into the 'dunking' end, and don't slow down. Then he
pops out of the 'entrance' end and clans up the peanut butter he grabs
on the way through.

So the width of the barrel and length of the tube is important--- but
4" is plenty for 'my' squirrels.

I've been having some luck catching chipmunks in a 5 gallon bucket
with a handful of sunflower seeds thrown on the water's surface. So
I put some peanutbutter on some bits of Styrofoam and tossed them into
the barrel to see if I can entice him to go swimming.

Had my first fresh picked peach in 3 years yesterday. Heavenly.

Jim

there should be laws against killing animals just because you can..
one day a disease may look at you the same way.

just trap and relocate.........

Reply: Is that what you do? What do you actually do with the squirrels who
invade and tear up your property?

What's that, Sparky? You don't actually HAVE any squirrels where you live,
you just like to advise other people. Your life is so shallow and empty and
perfect that you have nothing else to do with your days than to tell others
what THEY should do?

I thought so.

You may go now.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

-snip-

there should be laws against killing animals just because you can..

Even if there was, they'd leave in the exception for protecting crops
or removing nuisance animals.

one day a disease may look at you the same way.

Cognizant diseases that see? Next you'll be telling me that meat
thinks!

BTW- you never clarified whether you object to killing *all* animals
or only the ones that don't provide *you* something by their death.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:
[...]

There should be laws against those who protect vermin just because they are
cute. They are the ones who allow disease to spread.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
-snip-

I have a good recipe for squirrel stew, tho..... I call it my
GSP special (Gustatus Similis Pullus).....

Tastes like chicken? TX squirrels must be different from our grays.
The local squirrels are dark meat- most reminiscent [to me] of beef
belly.

I must say I haven't eaten any in a long time-- but when I hunted them
regularly I usually cooked them in a spaghetti sauce. Lots of
garlic, tomatoes and a long slow cook.

So what's your stew recipe?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:

How
many did you get today?

Squirrels are nothing if not trainable, adaptable, agile, and
flexible-
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...urnaround3.mp4

1 minute video showing how the squirrel reacted when I moved the pipe
a bit so he could run past the pivot point from the 'dumping' end.

Gotta get a bigger barrel.g

Jim
[the noises that sound like gunfire in the background are hickory nuts
falling on my neighbor's tin roof.]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 13:58:46 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

When the tube first starts to swing on yours, it seems to go slow, maybe
slowed by the chain. It has to be free of any hindrances or resistance.

What is the chain for? I missed something here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote:

How
many did you get today?

Squirrels are nothing if not trainable, adaptable, agile, and
flexible-
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...urnaround3.mp4

1 minute video showing how the squirrel reacted when I moved the pipe
a bit so he could run past the pivot point from the 'dumping' end.

Gotta get a bigger barrel.g

Jim
[the noises that sound like gunfire in the background are hickory nuts
falling on my neighbor's tin roof.]

I am amazed that he was able to turn around, since he came back out head
first. I am using a barrel that I cut about six inches out of to use on my
outboard motor. Mine mounts with that end near the barrel, as the balance
point is setting down in there. I am going to go to HD and get some longer
pieces of pipe. I mounted mine on a 1 x 3 so that the tipping point would
be farther out. It's balanced pretty close, so once it starts to go down,
it goes fast. I was considering a hook latch that the squirrel would
activate at the end of the tube, so that he would be at the end, and all the
weight would be out there. The slightly past center tipping point would
bring it back up so that the hook latch would automatically reset.

My neighbor is really having problems with his apricot trees. I'm going out
to dump mine this evening, and take it down to him. He can use this
prototype, and I will make the next one a little better. The mistakes I
made are that I think the pipe is too short, and that I need a better hinge
for the balancing point, as I think there is a little resistance in this
one. Will take a picture of it today and post to Flickr. You will see how
adding the 1 x 3 will change the balance point, and I believe that if you
use slightly larger diameter pipe that they can't jam themselves in there to
get traction.

I have a rod, and a piece of 1/2" or so tubing that I might use for the next
balance point so as to get the least friction on the balance point as
possible. Considering some other things, too. I have a MIG welder, and it
is easy to cobble rod together and make these things.

When the tube first starts to swing on yours, it seems to go slow, maybe
slowed by the chain. It has to be free of any hindrances or resistance.

I had also thought of putting a nice photo at the end of the tube, something
like blue sky and clouds so they think it's open on the end. ;-) Or, you
wouldn't have any X rated female squirrel pictures, would you? And I
wonder, there is lots of scents available, is there eau du squirrel? I'll
google.

This is getting fun.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hot dang. Gundogsupply.com has squirrel scent. That might be worth a
try.................

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 14:00:23 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Hot dang. Gundogsupply.com has squirrel scent. That might be worth a
try.................

Cut off the feet, rub the back side on the branches, tube, etc......

Scent glands? Natural?

You get to kill a squirrel and save money.

What is that chain for?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When the tube first starts to swing on yours, it seems to go slow, maybe
slowed by the chain. It has to be free of any hindrances or resistance.

What is the chain for? I missed something here.

The chain on mine helps it re-set. As Steve observes, it also keeps
it from dumping quickly. [but I did get another squirrel this
afternoon]

You can't see it well in either picture-- but it is a little better in
this one.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...p/IMG_7270.jpg

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

This one went out today to my neighbor for testing. Poor guy, I suspect
he's running out of shotgun shells from the sound of things on his side of
the fence.

I am making another, and this one will not rely on a balance point, but
rather a trip that will be set off when the squirrel is at the end of the
tube, and all his weight is over the end of the tube. Like a trap door
effect. Well, there will be a counterbalance, but just enough to pull it
back up to the latch and reset it.

This one was tossed together. Prepare to be amazed and impressed with this
next model. Might even go to Radio Shack and see about battery actuators
instead of manual ones.

Anyway, I'm having fun, and the squirrel raiders are on the decline around
these parts.

I am also sending off for some of that girl squirrel scent at
Gundogsupply.com if I can't find any here locally. All's fair in love and
squirrel wars.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When the tube first starts to swing on yours, it seems to go slow, maybe
slowed by the chain. It has to be free of any hindrances or resistance.

What is the chain for? I missed something here.

One of the first things I saw on testing. The tube swings down so far past
vertical that it won't return to the starting point on its own. Mine has a
stop screw, see my post with the flickr pics.

Cut the top out of a barrel today with my sawzall and new Destructo blade.
Will be working on one with a trip, rather than just the balance point
principle.

Steve

What to do with dead squirrel? [email protected][_2_] Home Repair 73 May 3rd 09 08:50 AM
Super squirrel deia Home Repair 3 March 2nd 08 10:44 PM
Super squirrel deia Metalworking 0 March 2nd 08 10:13 PM
SQUIRREL FEEDER J T Woodworking 3 September 26th 05 05:01 PM
Bullet trap plans Tom Gardner Metalworking 24 April 6th 05 02:52 AM