Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Clamp meter suggestions/recommendations???

I've had an old 'un of noname variety that was marginally adequate at
best that has now totally deceased itself.

Any suggestions for occasional use for stuff like checking motor leads,
etc., that would be functionally sotoo Fluke 333 or similar that might
be less expensive (they're otoo $150)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

I have a TPI 2,000A AC/DC hall effect clamp probe that I got for about
$60 at Fry's and use with my Fluke 87 for bigger jobs. I can't find it

What I highly recommend for general use is:

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...ter-96308.html

This is a very nice, compact little clamp meter (AC only clamp) that is
dirt cheap. The only real drawback to it is the somewhat expensive
batteries it uses, but they seem to last a long time. I've compared this
meter side by side with the TPI / Fluke combo and they agreed on the
various loads tested.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 4:00*pm, dpb wrote:
I've had an old 'un of noname variety that was marginally adequate at
best that has now totally deceased itself.

Any suggestions for occasional use for stuff like checking motor leads,
etc., that would be functionally sotoo Fluke 333 or similar that might
be less expensive (they're otoo $150)?

--

I was trying to measure low amps for 120v mains circuit leakage , all
that I found box stores wouldnt do .01 a, my local electric supply
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

What I highly recommend for general use is:

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...ter-96308.html

This is a very nice, compact little clamp meter (AC only clamp) that
is dirt cheap. The only real drawback to it is the somewhat expensive
batteries it uses, but they seem to last a long time. I've compared
this meter side by side with the TPI / Fluke combo and they agreed on
the various loads tested.

I have a couple HF clamp meters, and the both work fine (both of mine use 9v
batteries). I leave one in my welding bucket, and stick it on the lead so I
can get a better idea as to how much current I am set to (the indicator
needle on the welder is rather inacurrate.