Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer vent hose is filling up with water!

My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has
been working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent
hose is full of water. Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want
to buy new appliances just to give them away.

Any ideas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mitch Mitch@... wrote:

My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has
been working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent
hose is full of water. Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want
to buy new appliances just to give them away.

Any ideas?

Sure- Re-do your vent hose so it doesn't hold water. Gravity is
your friend.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Mitch Mitch@... wrote:

My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has
been working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent
hose is full of water. Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want
to buy new appliances just to give them away.

Any ideas?

Sure- Re-do your vent hose so it doesn't hold water. Gravity is
your friend.

What's causing the condensation to occur if it really is exhaust
moisture? I'm guessing it's either outside water or another leak
somehow getting in not from the dryer itself; never seen that kind of
water volume in a dry discharge--it's hot and in vapor phase unless
something is going to somehow block air flow and condense it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Mitch Mitch@... wrote:

My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has
been working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent
hose is full of water. Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want
to buy new appliances just to give them away.

Any ideas?

Sure- Re-do your vent hose so it doesn't hold water. Gravity is
your friend.

What's causing the condensation to occur if it really is exhaust
moisture? I'm guessing it's either outside water or another leak
somehow getting in not from the dryer itself; never seen that kind of
water volume in a dry discharge--it's hot and in vapor phase unless
something is going to somehow block air flow and condense it out.

If there really are *gallons*, as the OP says, then the hose has a low
spot- which as soon as it fills becomes a bit of a condenser and
doesn't allow any venting.

If this is a gas dryer the OP is risking CO poisoning. If it is an
electric, then his only fear is burning his house down.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

If there really are *gallons*, as the OP says, then the hose has a low
spot- which as soon as it fills becomes a bit of a condenser and
doesn't allow any venting.

Indeed but the point I was making was what caused this to initiate to
begin with to collect that first amount of sufficient magnitude? Never
seen such a thing from dryer exhaust alone; can't imagine it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mitch wrote:
My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has
been working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent
hose is full of water. Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want
to buy new appliances just to give them away.

Any ideas?

That much water didn't come from the dryer in a couple of weeks.

Hint: Did it rain recently?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 9:57*am, Mitch Mitch@... wrote:
My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has
been working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent
hose is full of water. *Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want
to buy new appliances just to give them away.

Any ideas?

Gallons?

That means you have at *least* 16.5 pounds of water in the hose.

What type of hose clamps do you use...I'd like to buy some...they must
be pretty strong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 4:20*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 8, 9:57*am, Mitch Mitch@... wrote:

My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has
been working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent
hose is full of water. *Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want
to buy new appliances just to give them away.

Any ideas?

Gallons?

That means you have at *least* 16.5 pounds of water in the hose.

What type of hose clamps do you use...I'd like to buy some...they must
be pretty strong.

check for a low spot in line like a drip loop that allows water to
collect, that happened to me.

and make certain the vent hood is open and unobstructed, it might be
stuck shut.

another less likely is a kid with a hose sprayed water down your vent
line
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

another less likely is a kid with a hose sprayed water down your vent
line

That would be my guess...can't imagine what else unless there is a
sprinkler head shooting water in from outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 08:57:41 -0500, Mitch Mitch@... wrote:

My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has
been working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent
hose is full of water. Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want
to buy new appliances just to give them away.

Any ideas?

Sure. Portray it as a feature. Not as a problem.

I'm sre you don't need a new dryer.

The problem is at the hose, not the dryer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mitch" Mitch@... wrote in message
My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has been
working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent hose
is full of water. Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want to
buy new appliances just to give them away.

Is the entire dryer vent line clear? Can you feel air coming out of the
outside vent?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2010 8:57 AM, Mitch wrote:
My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has
been working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent
hose is full of water. Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want
to buy new appliances just to give them away.

Any ideas?

If you used a metal hose instead of plastic and the laundry room is
relatively cool due to air conditioning, the problem could be simple
to fix by changing to a plastic hose. I've had to insulate a few long
dryer vents because of condensation forming in the vent. As others may
have already pointed out, your vent could be clogged. Look outside and
you may find that there is a plastic grid in your your dryer vent that
could be blocked with lint.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 17:12:56 -0400, "
wrote:

clipped

another less likely is a kid with a hose sprayed water down your vent
line

That would be my guess...can't imagine what else unless there is a
sprinkler head shooting water in from outside.

My dryer vents through the roof. So, some gobblin or sprinkler would
be ruled out (mostly).
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Ed is offline

My dryer vents through the roof. So, some gobblin or sprinkler would
be ruled out (mostly).

In that case perhaps the vent cap blew off or got pulled off by a
raccoon. Or rain got blown in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mitch" Mitch@... wrote in message
My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has
been working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent
hose is full of water. Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want to
buy new appliances just to give them away.

Any ideas?

Dunno, my water hose keeps filling up with lint!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 15:12:36 -0700 (PDT), Ed
wrote:

My dryer vents through the roof. So, some gobblin or sprinkler would
be ruled out (mostly).

In that case perhaps the vent cap blew off or got pulled off by a
raccoon. Or rain got blown in.

Good answer.

Pending an OP review and comment.

--
"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens
constantly." -- Customer
Posted to alt.home.repair

The man at an appliance store that has been in the business for many
years (think he is very knowledgeable) told me he often goes on
service calls for driers not drying well. He finds the vent hose full
of water. The cause is often they have never fully cleaned the lint
filter on the drier. Check the link trap/

wrote:

My dryer vents through the roof. So, some gobblin or sprinkler would
be ruled out (mostly).

In that case perhaps the vent cap blew off or got pulled off by a
raccoon. Or rain got blown in.

email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
TIA
Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mitch, did you ever find the resolution? Found your post while doing some research. I have the same problem. I have to use a shop vac and clean out my dryer vent each week. 2.5 gallons....a week. Dryer has been SLOW to dry (3 hours a load) and now it's not heating at all. The other problem is that the vent actually runs from the dryer to the wall, underneath my home and then back up from the grass outside, and it's at least 15 feet from the laundry room to the exhaust outside. I'm terrified that we are going to have to move the vent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to ncben108 , john wrote:
ncben108 wrote:

Mitch, did you ever find the resolution? Found your post while doing some

research. I have the same problem. I have to use a shop vac and clean

out
my dryer vent each week. 2.5 gallons....a week. Dryer has been SLOW to

dr
y (3 hours a load) and now it's not heating at all. The other problem is

hat the vent actually runs from the dryer to the wall, underneath my home

nd then back up from the grass outside, and it's at least 15 feet from

the
laundry room to the exhaust outside. I'm terrified that we are going to

ha
ve to move the vent.

ncben108 - I am having the same problem. The laundry room was real humid;
so I checked the exhaust hose thinking it had been torn. The exhaust line
was fine, so I took it off thinking it was clogged with lint, there was
some but not as much as I was expecting; additionally, it was damp and
wet. I vacuumed out the dryer exhaust and the lint catcher in the front of
the dryer. I then washed out the exhaust line to thoroughly clean it. I
then got a shop vac and sucked out the vent in line in the laundry room
expecting more lint. Much to me surprise I sucked up about a gallon of
water. I then went outside to the vent and sucked the line from that
point. I ended up sucking out another 15 gallons of water!

Once I got all of the water out of the exhaust vent I then went back to
the laundry room and starting blowing the vent with the shop vac.
Everything seemed to be clear at that point. I have now reconnected
everything and it seems to be running fine.

I have been reading different forums during this process and I suspect my
dryer line is too long; it is at least 15 feet from the dryer to the
exhaust vent outside of the house. Also, there are at least four 90 degree
turns from the dryer to the outside vent. With that said, I read that if
you have 90 degree turns and 15 feet or more of dryer exhaust line, then
one will need to get a booster fan.

Good Luck.

Here is the reference I used :
http://fantech.net/Support/FAQs/Dryer-Exhaust/

When is a dryer exhaust necessary?

According to some dryer installation instructions and local building
codes, booster fans should be added in the dryer duct run when the length
of duct exceeds 25 feet with no bends, 20 feet with one bend or 15 feet
with 2 bends. With an existing system you may find that drying times are
far longer than the dryer manufacturers instructions give, this may
indicate that you have an duct run longer and more restrictive than your
dryer can handle. Installing a Fantech dryer booster in the duct line will
relieve the excess pressure in the duct allowing the dryer to operate as
designed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ncben108 wrote:

[...]

Have you considered insulation?
If you can keep the inside of the pipe above the dew point of the
air flowing thru it, it shouldn't condense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 12:24:11 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
bob haller wrote:
On Thursday, July 8, 2010 at 9:57:41 AM UTC-4, Mitch wrote:
My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has
been working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent
hose is full of water. Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't
want to buy new appliances just to give them away.

Any ideas?

low dip in exhaust line, condensation will fill line.

i found this out after replacing a leaking water supply line to the
washer. a month later the dryer quit working but it ran well with the
exhaust disconnected.

i reached in the line looking for lint and got soaked when i pickedup
the line a little to make cleaning easier.

i had accidently created a drip loop in the line

Using solid metal vent piping is both safer and less likely to have this problem
because it won't droop. Insulating it for long runs should eliminate the
condensation. Or make sure it slopes slightly downward toward the outside, so
the water runs down and out.

"Or make sure it slopes slightly downward toward the outside, so
the water runs down and out."

Oh, crap. I need to either raise my basement or lower my outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ncben108 wrote:

[...]

This is an issue I have been working on. We bought our house in 2013,
washer and dryer same. They are in basement and the basement is very
cold in summer with AC running; somewhat leaky AC duct will be addressed
soon, as well. Couple of times I found small puddles in dryer drum when
it was empty; dryer filter screen is kept pretty clean, but was wet when
I found the puddles. Didn't make sense, and I wondered if cold basement
caused condensation, but that didn't make sense for the dryer screen.
The dryer duct is a fibber-mcgee installation that goes between furnace
(close) and out behind our gas meter. Dryer is electric. Finally took
off the louvered cover outside and cleaned out lint I could reach; not
much lint there and the louvers moved with air flow, so I thought it
looked good....curiosity finally got the best of me and I started taking
apart the rigid metal vent duct, untaping joins and......I was
astonished at the load of lint. The duct had 3 ninety-degree turns and
travels about 10-12 feet total. My shop vac was about 1/3 full of
lint!! I didn't think of checking the duct before the dryer was
installed, but the installers should have. Installation instructions
for our dryer recommend METAL, rigid or flexible, ducting with no tape
on joins. The lint is obviously years old, and the inside of the ducts
covered entirely with stuck-on lint, so had to brush, vacuum and then
wash them. Spent a pile of money for metal tape (before I read the
instructions) and the ducts need to be wrapped with something because
they are not made tubular; flat with flanges that connect together to
form tube. The horizontal section nearest the exit is most loaded with
lint and hardest to reach....dimwit put up drywall behind furnace which
blocks access to the last turn and 3' of duct. Today is the day, I
guess, that I cut a hole in the damn drywall to finish cleaning the
duct. I've never seen dryer duct with anything approaching the amount
in this. Also caulked around the duct exit, which I think is where the
water entered....but I'm thinking that when a dryer cycle finishes, the
duct is full of humid air that would condense very quickly without being
able to flow freely when cool-down cycle runs. Maybe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ncben108 wrote:

[...]

If you have that much lint in the external ducts, consider how much lint you may have on the internal ducts of the dryer. Granted, 2013 isn't that long ago, but with the restricted airflow you probably have, you may also have lint built up inside the dryer itself.

I've pulled the duct work out of my dryer a few times over the years and clean it out. You'd be surprised how much can get built up in there. The moisture can also cause lint to adhere to the squirrel cage blower and get caked on. Before we switched to a front loading washer that almost dries the clothes by itself, the blower-adhered lint was much worse.

Since the blower gets exposed when you pull the duct work, it easy enough to check. Maybe not so easy to chisel off, but easy enough the check. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped
able to flow freely when cool-down cycle runs. Maybe.

If you have that much lint in the external ducts, consider how much lint you may have on the internal ducts of the dryer. Granted, 2013 isn't that long ago, but with the restricted airflow you probably have, you may also have lint built up inside the dryer itself.

I've pulled the duct work out of my dryer a few times over the years and clean it out. You'd be surprised how much can get built up in there. The moisture can also cause lint to adhere to the squirrel cage blower and get caked on. Before we switched to a front loading washer that almost dries the clothes by itself, the blower-adhered lint was much worse.

Since the blower gets exposed when you pull the duct work, it easy enough to check. Maybe not so easy to chisel off, but easy enough the check. ;-)

Thanks! I already checked the dryer and it is clean as a whistle.
House is 38 y/o and my guess is that the ducts have never been cleaned.
With several right angles, and going up to get out, it appears the air
flow (logically) is worst at the top. On my way to the store to get a
brush; $12.98.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ncben108 wrote:

[...]

I don't expect any reasonably sized vacuum can create enough air flow
to do much good.
I stuck a leaf blower down the hole and blew lint out of the duct.

Might blow apart the joints if you have a lot of bends and lint stuck in
there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

john wrote in
oups.com:

ncben108 wrote:

[...]

My electric dryer was vented with one right angle up an interior wall,
then out the roof, for a total of about 15' straight up. It took hours
for clothes to dry, and I'd have to go on the roof and clean the top of
the stack at least once a year of lint.

Last year I bought a new dryer, and vented it it with one right angle,
and then horizontally about 10', with a slight slope, and out the front
wall of the house, over a flowerbed. Works great. And, when you come up
the front stairs, you get the fresh smell of fabric softener.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

replying to ncben108, Lee wrote:
Did you figure a way to fix this problem? I have the same problem going on.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-452005-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lee,

Why are your clothes so wet? Check the spin cycle of your washer.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

replying to David L. Martel, Lee wrote:
My dryer vent line is getting water in it. It goes under the slab of the house
and then back up again to vent out to the yard. The line did not use to fill
with water. But now it does I am not sure what's going on. I was trying to
find out if there was some type of product or sow thing to line the inside the
pipe with to keep the water from getting in there. Or do u think it's the
washer not wringing out the clothes enough and the condensation form the
clothes could be my problem u think. I need a new washer?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-452005-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2016 12:44 PM, Lee wrote:
replying to David L. Martel, Lee wrote:
My dryer vent line is getting water in it. It goes under the slab of the
house
and then back up again to vent out to the yard. The line did not use to
fill
with water. But now it does I am not sure what's going on. I was trying to
find out if there was some type of product or sow thing to line the
inside the
pipe with to keep the water from getting in there. Or do u think it's the
washer not wringing out the clothes enough and the condensation form the
clothes could be my problem u think. I need a new washer?

Under the slab is a good way to introduce condensation. I'd check to
see that the vent is clean and you have good air flow. I'd check the
washer too. Could be something as simple as a worn belt and it is not
spinning as fast as it should.'

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to clare, av8r4christ wrote:
Hi everybody I just read through this thread and was having the same problem.
Problem solved:
1) The metal vent pipe had a spot in it where it "dipped down" and the water
would collect there. More water=longer time period for dryer to get the
clothes dried
2) The outside vent had a metal screen on it, and that metal screen had 2" of
lent all over it. We could never see it, because the lint was on the inside of
the vent.

Problem solved. Special thanks to all you geniuses that have helped.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-452005-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2017 9:44 PM, av8r4christ wrote:

2) The outside vent had a metal screen on it, and that metal screen had
2" of
lent all over it.

Lent would have cleared up on Easter Sunday.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mitch, Redwing1 wrote:
Your dryer vent hose is too long. You have created a P-trap in your line. It
will especially happen more frequently in cold weather. No one sprayed water
down your vent. This is a real issue and it can start fires. Shorten your
hose and try to keep your hose in line with the exhaust opening

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-452005-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jim Elbrecht, Mer_mom wrote:
LOL! Oh, that's all?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-452005-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mitch, Matthew Kirk wrote:
I just had the same issue, and my vent was clogged on the exterior, it is
going over top of the basement area i am currently finishing so I'm moving it
to run across the unfinished part now

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-452005-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 9:44:07 PM UTC-5, Matthew Kirk wrote:
replying to Mitch, Matthew Kirk wrote:
I just had the same issue, and my vent was clogged on the exterior, it is
going over top of the basement area i am currently finishing so I'm moving it
to run across the unfinished part now
--

Unfortunately, six and a half years ago after making the original post, Mitch drowned in his basement after the dryer hose let go releasing more than 5,000 gallons of water. He is survived by a wife, 4 ex-wives 42 children, a herd of zebra, 12 dogs, 13 cats and only 37 gerbils because 432 drowned with him in the tragic accident. (^_^

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to ncben108, OCMamabear wrote:
We have the same problem! I now have to suck out water daily from the outside
vent. Seems to fill with about 1 gallon of water after a load of wash/dry. Our
line also runs under the house to the outside wall. I'm guessing 8 feet. Has
anyone thought of a solution? I'd hate to have to hire out a plumber to figure
out what's up...
Mitch, did you ever find the resolution? Found your post while doing some

research. I have the same problem. I have to use a shop vac and clean out my
dryer vent each week. 2.5 gallons....a week. Dryer has been SLOW to dr y (3
hours a load) and now it's not heating at all. The other problem is t hat the
vent actually runs from the dryer to the wall, underneath my home a nd then back
up from the grass outside, and it's at least 15 feet from the laundry room to
the exhaust outside. I'm terrified that we are going to ha ve to move the vent.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-452005-.htm

Safe dryer vent hose Daniel Prince Home Repair 12 November 11th 09 12:32 AM
Filling Tumble Dryer Vent AJ UK diy 3 December 3rd 08 11:35 PM
Dryer vent hose - does it have to go straight out the rear? nafuk UK diy 5 August 10th 07 12:11 PM
Dryer vent hose - does it have to go straigh out the rear? nafuk UK diy 6 August 9th 07 11:27 AM
Dryer vent hose Ed Hayes Home Repair 4 November 18th 05 01:38 PM