Dryer vent hose is filling up with water!

Old July 8th 10, 02:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer vent hose is filling up with water!

My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has
been working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent
hose is full of water. Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want
to buy new appliances just to give them away.

Any ideas?
Old July 8th 10, 03:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Mitch Mitch@... wrote:

My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has
been working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent
hose is full of water. Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want
to buy new appliances just to give them away.

Any ideas?

Sure- Re-do your vent hose so it doesn't hold water. Gravity is
your friend.

Jim
Old July 8th 10, 03:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Mitch Mitch@... wrote:

My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has
been working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent
hose is full of water. Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want
to buy new appliances just to give them away.

Any ideas?

Sure- Re-do your vent hose so it doesn't hold water. Gravity is
your friend.

What's causing the condensation to occur if it really is exhaust
moisture? I'm guessing it's either outside water or another leak
somehow getting in not from the dryer itself; never seen that kind of
water volume in a dry discharge--it's hot and in vapor phase unless
something is going to somehow block air flow and condense it out.

Old July 8th 10, 04:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Mitch Mitch@... wrote:

My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has
been working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent
hose is full of water. Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want
to buy new appliances just to give them away.

Any ideas?

Sure- Re-do your vent hose so it doesn't hold water. Gravity is
your friend.

What's causing the condensation to occur if it really is exhaust
moisture? I'm guessing it's either outside water or another leak
somehow getting in not from the dryer itself; never seen that kind of
water volume in a dry discharge--it's hot and in vapor phase unless
something is going to somehow block air flow and condense it out.

If there really are *gallons*, as the OP says, then the hose has a low
spot- which as soon as it fills becomes a bit of a condenser and
doesn't allow any venting.

If this is a gas dryer the OP is risking CO poisoning. If it is an
electric, then his only fear is burning his house down.

Jim
Old July 8th 10, 05:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

If there really are *gallons*, as the OP says, then the hose has a low
spot- which as soon as it fills becomes a bit of a condenser and
doesn't allow any venting.

Indeed but the point I was making was what caused this to initiate to
begin with to collect that first amount of sufficient magnitude? Never
seen such a thing from dryer exhaust alone; can't imagine it.

Old July 8th 10, 08:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Mitch wrote:
My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has
been working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent
hose is full of water. Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want
to buy new appliances just to give them away.

Any ideas?

That much water didn't come from the dryer in a couple of weeks.

Hint: Did it rain recently?

Old July 8th 10, 09:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 9:57*am, Mitch Mitch@... wrote:
My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has
been working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent
hose is full of water. *Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want
to buy new appliances just to give them away.

Any ideas?

Gallons?

That means you have at *least* 16.5 pounds of water in the hose.

What type of hose clamps do you use...I'd like to buy some...they must
be pretty strong.
Old July 8th 10, 09:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 4:20*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 8, 9:57*am, Mitch Mitch@... wrote:

My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has
been working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent
hose is full of water. *Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want
to buy new appliances just to give them away.

Any ideas?

Gallons?

That means you have at *least* 16.5 pounds of water in the hose.

What type of hose clamps do you use...I'd like to buy some...they must
be pretty strong.

check for a low spot in line like a drip loop that allows water to
collect, that happened to me.

and make certain the vent hood is open and unobstructed, it might be
stuck shut.

another less likely is a kid with a hose sprayed water down your vent
line
Old July 8th 10, 10:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

another less likely is a kid with a hose sprayed water down your vent
line

That would be my guess...can't imagine what else unless there is a
sprinkler head shooting water in from outside.
Old July 9th 10, 05:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 08:57:41 -0500, Mitch Mitch@... wrote:

My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has
been working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent
hose is full of water. Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want
to buy new appliances just to give them away.

Any ideas?

Sure. Portray it as a feature. Not as a problem.

I'm sre you don't need a new dryer.

The problem is at the hose, not the dryer.

Safe dryer vent hose Daniel Prince Home Repair 12 November 10th 09 11:32 PM
Filling Tumble Dryer Vent AJ UK diy 3 December 3rd 08 10:35 PM
Dryer vent hose - does it have to go straight out the rear? nafuk UK diy 5 August 10th 07 11:11 AM
Dryer vent hose - does it have to go straigh out the rear? nafuk UK diy 6 August 9th 07 10:27 AM
Dryer vent hose Ed Hayes Home Repair 4 November 18th 05 12:38 PM