Craftsman push lawnmower wobble after hitting rocks won't start

Old July 5th 10, 03:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Craftsman push lawnmower wobble after hitting rocks won't start

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 04:16:38 -0700 (PDT), ransley wrote:

If you are lucky its a bent blade and sheared flywheel key, its a Diy
job with a flywheel puller

I found a better video of a Craftsman with Tecumseh (I don't know what
engine I have yet) which used a flywheel puller to replace the keyway.

I was surprised there are no threaded holes for the flywheel puller, but
once you self-tap them, you pull it up (the other guy used a screwdriver
instead of a flywheel puller).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuI7cLa_fk4
Old July 5th 10, 04:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/05/2010 09:41 AM, Brent wrote:
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 07:59:35 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

It's not a rock crusher.

Everyone hits rocks now and then with their lawnmower, probably once a day
or twice a day or more if you have rocky soil like I do. A good mower is
designed to handle rocks and pulverize them if they're small enough, and to
not be damaged if they're larger.

Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Small Gasoline Engines and
Rotary Lawn Mowers, Version 2.19b (15-May-06), Copyright 1994-2007 by
Samuel M. Goldwasser

http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/lmfaq.htm

No mower is designed to mow rocks. I think they are just too lazy to
stop and remove the rock so it will never be an obstacle again.
Ledge rocks, it's quite obvious you need to go around.

--
LSmFT

I'm trying to think but nothing happens............
Old July 5th 10, 05:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 07:19:39 -0700, "James H."
wrote:

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 04:53:47 -0500, FatterDumber& Happier Moe wrote:

Does it run?

No. It won't start.

When I hit the obstruction, it stopped due to mechanical force I guess but
then it started running roughly like it was unbalanced. It almost sounded
like a multi-cylinder engine running on one cylinder - but I'm pretty sure
it's only a one-cylinder engine to start with so that's just what it
sounded like. Then, after a couple of minutes, it died and won't restart.
I've tried for a week to start it.

Yep. Sounds like you ate the shear pin. This is a soft pin that holds the
flywheel onto the crank shaft. It's designed to shear and let the flywheel go
on its merry way so it doesn't bend the crank. Since the engine timing is
taken off the flywheel, the engine won't run after. When you hit the object
you probably broke the shear pin but didn't move the flywheel far enough, at
first, to keep the engine from running. However, it ran poorly because the
timing was off. After a little time unbalanced the flywheel moved further out
of place preventing it from running at all. With any luck, a $.25 shear pin
will get you back to the fun of mowing.

If not the aluminum key was probably sheared, they are supposed to do
that so the flywheel isn't damaged and it helps prevent bent crankshafts.

I see. Looking up "Lawn mower repair flywheel key replacement" I found a
video which, to my surprise, shows you have to get to that key from the
top. (I thought everything was accessed from the bottom business end of the
motor.)

If it runs the blade was bent or a small piece of the blade broke
off, the blade came loose(unlikely) the crankshaft was bent (I haven't
seen that happen in a long time).

The blade isn't loose and it doesn't look bent. It's all dinged up but I've
had it for about 3 years and those dings started three years ago as the
soil is very rocky. About every 30 seconds I hear that hard crunch of
hitting the top of a rock. By now the rocks are mostly sheared down to the
grass level so that's why I was surprised that it stopped all of a sudden
on a pretty small rock, maybe six or eight inches in diameter that was
protroding up from the ground just above grass level in a relatively benign
rounded dome.

We really need more details to help trouble shoot it. If it's running
and the blade isn't bent it's possible the blade just needs sharpening
and balancing.

I'll give you all the details you need. It's not running but I don't
"think" it's the ignition because it was directly related to hitting this
rock one too many times.

The flywheel is part of the "ignition". The magneto is on the flywheel.

I'm googling for lawn mower repair and I see a few decent videos but none
yet for the Craftsman (I'll look up the model number in my paperwork and
report that if it helps.)

Your Craftsman likely has either a Briggs or Techumseh engine. They're pretty
much all the same.

This video shows a briggs and stratten engine being repaired with just a
screwdriver and a hammer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWcIiZtvbug

I'm looking for a Craftsman one as we speak.

Old July 5th 10, 07:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Joe

On Jul 4, 11:31*pm, "James H." wrote:
What is the typical thing to look for that broke when my lawnmower hit a
stationary object?

I've hit much tougher sets of rocks than the little things that all of a
sudden caused my Craftsman 18 inch push mower to wobble (I think) and run
badly and now it won't start.

snip

When you get your replacement mower, set the blade at 4" - 5" and get
comfortable with the idea that longer grass really looks better and
healthier. And every spring rake up all the rocks that popped up over
winter before you start mowing. That way you can save a lot of $$ and
time.
If you really like a lawn that shows white roots, see if a local goat
farmer will rent you one of his close grazers on occasion.

Joe
Old July 5th 10, 07:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/05/2010 01:24 AM, James H. wrote:
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 22:15:32 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

IT sounds like the engine is unbalanced

Yes. Something went unbalanced but I checked (visually only) the blade
itself which seems to be all nicked up but no worse than it has been for a
loooong time.

therefor some rotating part has broken off or the crankshaft is bent.

It could be a bent crankshaft. I guess. But, I've hit far worse than what
made this happen this time as it happened all of a sudden on me.

How would I know if the crankshaft is bent?

Or possibly the engine has come loose on it's mountings.

I didn't think of that. Will check tomorrow but I didn't notice anything
loose as I flipped the lawn mower over to look at the blade.

The obvious one would be the cutter blade. Check that it's running
without a wobble ie not bent.

It doesn't look bent. It doesn't look like it's wobbling. Would that
prevent it from restarting? It ran for a few minutes "after the accident"
but roughly - and now it just won't start.

Or, as it won't start something associated with the igntion system.

Could be. I don't see how that would be associated with hitting something
but as I said, it wasn't all that much that I hit (I've run over far worse
with that mower) so maybe something just broke in the ignition. I can pull
the plug and check.

if it's got a Tecumseh engine, the normal consequence of hitting
something is that the flywheel key shears (it's designed to do that, to
protect the crank) and throws off the ignition timing. BTDT... the
fact that it ran rough and now won't start sounds very familiar... went
through this several times at a house I used to live in, yard was very
lumpy and if you didn't mow often enough you hit a couple stealth roots.
I could tell when I'd sheared the key by the mower starting to run
rough from the retarded ignition timing, but it'd run for a while until
I hit another root/rock/whatever and then I'd be done for.

the unbalance is likely due to a bent blade; if it's not, you've likely
bent the crank which means your mower is junk.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old July 6th 10, 05:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 12:36*pm, "James H." wrote:
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 11:28:35 -0500, wrote:
When you hit the object you probably broke the shear pin but didn't
move the flywheel far enough, at first, to keep the engine from running.. *
However, it ran poorly because the timing was off. *After a little time
unbalanced the flywheel moved further out of place preventing it from
running at all. *

Now that makes sense! I remember now, that there was a lot of oil and smoke
too. I'll bet you're 100% right so I'll take it apart from the top and look
for that flywheel pin and report back to the team!

The 'not starting' is almost assuredly a sheared pin. I worked for
part of year in my old man's fix-it shop. Overhauled one Briggs on a
tiller. Fired it up, ran good, next morning - no start. After a
couple hours fooling with it, I pulled the flywheel to find the key
only half shorn but it was enough to keep it from starting. It
probably was shorn when I shut it off the previous evening.

Yes, it is possible for it to have started with a partially shorn key
and then completed the shearing later.

Harry K
Old July 6th 10, 06:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 07:28:10 -0700, James H. wrote:
On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 04:16:38 -0700 (PDT), ransley wrote:

If you are lucky its a bent blade and sheared flywheel key,
its a Diy job with a flywheel puller

It's a Briggs & Stratten 6.5 HP 21" cut Craftsman part number 917.388853
push mower. I found the manual he
http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0505023.pdf
http://www.hammerwall.com/Download_Manual/14875/
http://tinyurl.com/32mzm2n

Interestingly, the owners manual says Sears doesn't recommend sharpening
the blade; I wonder why?

I checked the balance of the blade using the technique in the manual and it
seems to be balanced just fine (even though it's nicked up a bit).

This is the published procedure to check balance:

"NOTE: We do not recommend sharpening the blade - but if you do, be sure
the blade is balanced. To check blade balance, drive a nail into a beam or
wall. Leave about one inch of the straight nail exposed. Place center hole
of blade over the head of the nail. If blade is balanced, it should remain
in a horizontal position. If either end of the blade moves downward,
sharpen the heavy end until the blade is balanced."
Old July 6th 10, 06:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 21:52:55 -0700 (PDT), Harry K wrote:

The 'not starting' is almost assuredly a sheared pin.

Hi Harry,
I suspect you are right.
I found the exploded diagrams for the Briggs & Stratton 6.5HP 21" push
mower (Sears catalogue number 917.388853) on http://searspartsdirect.com

http://tinyurl.com/32mzm2n

But the weird thing is I can't find the "flywheel key" anywhere on the
exploded parts diagram.

There's just one big part (#59) called "Engine" which must contain the
sheared flywheel key; but I think I'll have to call Sears in the morning to
find the missing flywheel key.

If anyone looks at that http://searspartsdirect exploded diagram, do YOU
see the flywheel key?
Old July 6th 10, 06:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 09:47:37 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Shear key between flywheel and shaft.

It's a Briggs & Stratten 6.5 HP 21" cut Craftsman part number 917.388853
push mower. I found the manual he
http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0505023.pdf
http://www.hammerwall.com/Download_Manual/14875/
http://tinyurl.com/32mzm2n

From the owners manual, the engine of the Craftsman 917.388853 6.5HP 21"
push mower is a Briggs & Stratton, Model-Type-Trim of 123KO2-0444-E1.
Model = 123KO2
Type = 0444
Trim = E1

Looking at the web site for that Briggs & Stratton Model Number
123KO2-0444-E1 engine, I can't find the owners manual for the engine
itself.
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/mai...123KO2-0444-E1

I think I'll call Briggs & Stratton in the morning to find out WHY that
Model/Type/Trim combination isn't shown on their web site.