Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can Coleman Stoves use regular gasoline?

I no longer own one of these old stoves, but as a child, I recall my dad
said you had to use "White Gas" and could never use "red gas" from the
gas station. But back then, red gas meant leaded gas, and the reason
for not using it was because the lead would clog something in the stove
(not sure what).

Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
to burn. I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
the stuff called "white gas".

Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
(actually clear). Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
standard unleaded gasoline?

Anyone know?

(Personally, I prefer propane camping stoves. Easier to use and safer).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:20:41 AM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
I no longer own one of these old stoves, but as a child, I recall my dad
said you had to use "White Gas" and could never use "red gas" from the
gas station. But back then, red gas meant leaded gas, and the reason
for not using it was because the lead would clog something in the stove
(not sure what).

Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
to burn. I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
the stuff called "white gas".

Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
(actually clear). Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
standard unleaded gasoline?

Anyone know?

(Personally, I prefer propane camping stoves. Easier to use and safer).

Check he https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!search/Can$20Coleman$20Stoves$20use$20regular$20gasoline?/rec.outdoors.camping/LyDW3iNSPMI/1DG1af2ZjYQJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:20:41 -0500, wrote:

I no longer own one of these old stoves, but as a child, I recall my dad
said you had to use "White Gas" and could never use "red gas" from the
gas station. But back then, red gas meant leaded gas, and the reason
for not using it was because the lead would clog something in the stove
(not sure what).

Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
to burn. I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
the stuff called "white gas".

Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
(actually clear). Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
standard unleaded gasoline?

Anyone know?

(Personally, I prefer propane camping stoves. Easier to use and safer).

Lead was the big problem and that has been eliminated. Gas today may
contain ethanol, MBTE, and a host of other additives. The Coleman
fuel is probably pure gas.

Coleman says:
This appliance is designed to use Coleman®
Liquid Fuel.
• Never use kerosene or automotive fuel.

There is a part called the "generator" than can possibly be damaged

Troubleshooting a poor flame

Replace with a new generator.
This is a normal periodic
maintenance procedure. The
generator life is dependent on the
type of fuel used. Generator life is
extended by using clean
Coleman® Liquid Fuel

Like you, I'd get a propane stove
Posted to alt.home.repair

Years ago, I read that Coleman made "dual fuel" stoves for a while, the fuel
tank was a different color. Got to be a web site out there some where,
details all this.

I'd advise using Coleman fuel, because it's less likely to damage stove. You
only use a gallon or so a year, so the cost savings isn't all that great.

I also prefer propane. The tanks are heavy to carry, but everything is a
trade off.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
I no longer own one of these old stoves, but as a child, I recall my dad
said you had to use "White Gas" and could never use "red gas" from the
gas station. But back then, red gas meant leaded gas, and the reason
for not using it was because the lead would clog something in the stove
(not sure what).

Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
to burn. I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
the stuff called "white gas".

Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
(actually clear). Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
standard unleaded gasoline?

Anyone know?

(Personally, I prefer propane camping stoves. Easier to use and safer).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-06-13, wrote:

Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
to burn. I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
the stuff called "white gas".

Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
(actually clear). Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
standard unleaded gasoline?

Anyone know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_gas

.....which inlcudes links to coleman fuel and naptha.

Also, google "dual fuel" camp stoves/lanterns. Coleman still makes
'em, as does MSR and Britelyt:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Du...-Stove/9870596
http://www.backcountry.com/msr-dragonfly-stove

....and lanterns:

http://www.coleman.com/product/229-725
http://www.britelyt.com/prod1.htm

If you use propane and jes have a stove someone gave you, whataya got
to lose. Try some unlead gas. At worst something will clog up. Last
I knew, Coleman had actual service centers that would rebuild and/or
repair their stoves/lanterns. If they still exist in this online
world, you could have the old one retrofitted with new dual fuel (say
five time, fast!) parts.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I no longer own one of these old stoves, but as a child, I recall my dad
said you had to use "White Gas" and could never use "red gas" from the
gas station. But back then, red gas meant leaded gas, and the reason
for not using it was because the lead would clog something in the stove
(not sure what).

Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
to burn. I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
the stuff called "white gas".

Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
(actually clear). Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
standard unleaded gasoline?

Anyone know?

(Personally, I prefer propane camping stoves. Easier to use and safer).

Some Coleman stove can run on BOTH white gas and gasoline
They are clearly marked as such.
The rest is ONLY white gas.
Coleman lanterns are ONLY white gas (to the best of my knowledge)

Although white gas is more expensive than gasoline, it has the advantage
that they come in sealed gallon cans that can be stored nearly indefinitely.
In a pinch you can run low octane NO lead gasoline in both stoves and lamps
But the generators can get gunked up over time

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:35:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I guess a related question is "how long does Coleman fuel last before
it goes bad"?

It doesn't
That's the benefit of having a few cans as spares for emergencies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

I just bought a 6-pack of those stubby propane tanks at Sam's for $17
-- seems like they cost twice that 10 years ago when I bought the last
one.

Jim

Somewhere I saw an adapter that lets you refill those little tanks from
a larger one. Maybe you could save money that way?
--

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"The sense of spiritual relief which comes from rejecting the idea of
God as a supernatural being is enormous." [Julian Huxley]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 13, 11:20*am, wrote:
I no longer own one of these old stoves, but as a child, I recall my dad
said you had to use "White Gas" and could never use "red gas" from the
gas station. *But back then, red gas meant leaded gas, and the reason
for not using it was because the lead would clog something in the stove
(not sure what).

Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
to burn. *I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
the stuff called "white gas".

Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
(actually clear). *Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
standard unleaded gasoline?

Anyone know?

(Personally, I prefer propane camping stoves. *Easier to use and safer)..

The reason for not using leaded gas was that you would be inhaling the
lead fumes, especially if used in confined spaces.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 6:20:41 AM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
(actually clear). Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
standard unleaded gasoline?

True the Coleman fuel is expensive but these stoves will run for a very long time on a gallon.

Of course if you're up for an experiment, the worst that can happen is the stove won't light.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/13/2012 1:34 PM, harry wrote:
On Jun 13, 11:20 am, wrote:
[...]

where ya gonna get leaded gas?

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/13/2012 1:44 PM, wrote:

Of course if you're up for an experiment, the worst that can happen
isthe stove won't light.

You're sure that's "the worst that can happen"???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 13:01:12 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

[snip]

I just bought a 6-pack of those stubby propane tanks at Sam's for $17
-- seems like they cost twice that 10 years ago when I bought the last
one.

Jim

Somewhere I saw an adapter that lets you refill those little tanks from
a larger one. Maybe you could save money that way?

I got one of those when the tanks were $5 or so each. I wasn't
that impressed. Now, with the tanks under $3, I wouldn't even bother
to google the valve.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 13, 11:20 am, wrote:
[...]

Still available.
Small aircraft fuel is still leaded
There is also a lead replacement that you add to regular unleaded gas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 13, 11:37*am, "NotMe" wrote:
"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 05:20:41 -0500, wrote:
-snip-

Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
to burn. *I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
the stuff called "white gas".

Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
(actually clear). *Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
standard unleaded gasoline?

When unleaded first became available we used it in our Coleman with no
ill effects for a few years.

Only ill effects are you and everyone near you were exposed additives that
are hazardous to one's health.

Like those same chemicals are not pouring out of the exhaust pips of
millions of cars and trucks everyday?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've got one of those. The Ozark Trail tanks have always leaked, when I
refilled them. I'm told the Coleman tanks are more servicable. I didn't fill
enough small tanks, to recoup the cost of the adaptor.

There is a specific list of instructions, to follow.

The propane "tree" to use the 20# tanks, are useful in some situations.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
om...

Somewhere I saw an adapter that lets you refill those little tanks from
a larger one. Maybe you could save money that way?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 01:00:22 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

wrote in news:dsmgt75h3to4qnudb6a9a5doc5i1t4tqp5@
4ax.com:

I no longer own one of these old stoves, but as a child, I recall my dad
said you had to use "White Gas" and could never use "red gas" from the
gas station. But back then, red gas meant leaded gas, and the reason
for not using it was because the lead would clog something in the stove
(not sure what).

Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
to burn. I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
the stuff called "white gas".

"White gas" is naphtha. It's *not* the same as gasoline at all.

I used Coleman fuel in my Coleman stove. Didn't have to think about
it, or learn chemistry. Doesn't cost all that much and comes in a
handy can. I mean, how much fuel do you use?
We didn't finish a can on a 23 day trip, cooking about once a day,
and boiling water for coffee twice a day.

--
Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-06-14, gregz wrote:

alcohol blends could be a problem when sitting in tank for a long time.

I've yet to see a single thing other than anecdotal evidence this is
true. A simple solution, if true, is to empty the damn tank. DUH!

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-06-14, gregz wrote:

alcohol blends could be a problem when sitting in tank for a long time.

I've yet to see a single thing other than anecdotal evidence this is
true. A simple solution, if true, is to empty the damn tank. DUH!

nb

Any brass or copper in the generator etc can be dammaged by hooch in
the fuel. The "greenies" are a real mess - caused by water in the
fuel, disolved in hooch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 13, 11:20 am, wrote:
[...]

Take a gallon of gas, and dump in a dozen lead bullets. Let it soak
overnight, and you have leaded gas!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-06-14, wrote:

alcohol blends could be a problem when sitting in tank for a long time.

I've yet to see a single thing other than anecdotal evidence this is
true. A simple solution, if true, is to empty the damn tank. DUH!

nb

Here you go:

http://www.consumerenergyreport.com/...and-corrosion/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-06-14, Moe Gasser wrote:

Here you go:

No, there you go.

More hedging and speculation. Nothing truly conclusive. If we're
gonna talk more anecdotal experience, howzabout the fact I've been
using E10 for over fifteen years and have had zero problems. Again,
empty the tanks and drain the systems if yer gonna let stuff sit
forever.

Reply if you choose, but I'm not gonna continue this discussion. I
consider it a nonexistent problem and refuse to argue a non-issue.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[snip]

I just bought a 6-pack of those stubby propane tanks at Sam's for $17
-- seems like they cost twice that 10 years ago when I bought the last
one.

Jim

Somewhere I saw an adapter that lets you refill those little tanks from
a larger one. Maybe you could save money that way?

I got one of those refill adaptors probably 20 years ago. I dont recall
where I got it. They were and probably still are illegal. The problem
I encountered was that I could not find a tool to buy to open the relief
valve. This is similar to a tire valve stem but too deep in the
cylinder to use a regular tire tool. I made my own tool.

I refilled lots of bottles, but the majority of them leaked afterwards,
so I'd store them outdoors under a piece of plywood. I suspect the
reason for the leaking was because I would overfill them. I know all
propane tanks are only supposed to be filled to 80%. I had no way to
regulate the amount of fill on these tanks.

I found a camping supply store that sold some cylinders MADE TO BE
REFILLED. They were supposedly legal, and were easier to refill. But
they too tended to leak.

I have not refilled them in years. Dont even know where that adaptor is
anymore. These days I use a 20lb tank with an adaptor to fit my Coleman
stove, and everything else that uses propane. About the only time I use
the small cylinders is for my torches. At $3 a tank, it's not worth the
hassle to refill them, and then have leakers to deal with afterwards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/14/2012 7:37 AM, notbob wrote:

More hedging and speculation. Nothing truly conclusive. If we're
gonna talk more anecdotal experience, howzabout the fact I've been
using E10 for over fifteen years and have had zero problems. Again,
empty the tanks and drain the systems if yer gonna let stuff sit
forever.

Ethanol fuel is great...for corn farmers, John Deere and the makers of
Sta-Bil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Give it a try.

In your living room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 20:05:08 -0500, micky
wrote:

Look what Coleman itself has to say. "Our DualFuel™ appliances are made
to accommodate automobile fuel.

Right there is their statement that it's safe, even if they don't use
that word. That's what would make them liable if they are wrong.

Coleman's modified valving even allows
for differences between summer and winter blends. At 1/10 of the cost of
propane, unleaded gas is the cheapest of all appliance fuels.

They're even pushing it here.

And it's
available everywhere, of course. In an emergency, you can siphon gas
from the tank of your RV or car to use in a DualFuel lantern or stove.

And here and here.

Although it's the most economical fuel to use, you'll extend the life of
your appliance by using purer Coleman™ Fuel most of the time.
Main advantages: availability and low cost. "

BTW, I don't think for a moment that the dualfuel somehow neutralizes
bad effects of fuel additives. It must be that the fuel additives also
get burned up and that what if any doesn't is not harmful. Maybe it
disperses and you'd have to keep your nose next to the flame all the
time to get an appreciable amount.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-03-01, Vic Smith wrote:

I used unleaded gas in my Coleman stove. Never had a problem.

I agree.

I had Coleman stoves and lanterns in the 50s-60s. The Amoco guy sed
their white gas was jes unleaded, so that's what I always used.
Worked fine for decades. Now, Coleman come's out with a "dual-fuel"
line of stoves/lanterns. Runs on both Coleman fuel AND unleaded
gasoline. What the heck did I have before?

nb

Coleman Powermate low voltage Pumbaa Home Repair 2 June 24th 09 03:48 PM
Coleman Powermate amdx Home Repair 7 June 9th 08 11:20 PM
Jotul Stoves - Anyone sell these stoves Online? M Wilson Home Repair 3 October 28th 04 10:23 PM
White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline Gunner Metalworking 11 October 6th 03 05:44 AM