Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Retrofitting interior doors - pre-hung?

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 11:00:34 -0700 (PDT), Test group SBA
wrote:

I'm going to replace all 6 of my interior doors. I've replaced a door
once, and bought just a door (i.e. not pre-hung). It came out okay -
but just okay. I'm thinking that to do 6 doors I'd be better off
getting pre-hung. I'm not crazy about replacing casings for 6 doors,
but I also think my chances of getting all 6 to fit and close properly
aren't good. (I'm a decent carpenter but not a professional.) What's
the collective wisdom on this?

Never forget to pull the nail from the jamb that holds the door in
place (LOL) for shipping. Some doors have a nylon bolt that is removed
from the door knob opening after install. Those are easy and can be
done after the door is installed. Forget that nail and you need to
pull the jamb out for another try. Once that nail is pulled things can
twist around, you can damage the jamb.

I prefer to have a helper on one side of the door and can tell me if
the things are "looking good". The helper can shim and check level /
square / plumb as you check the other side. Use long levels.

I've installed doors in a matter of minutes (hanging) and others that
caused a fit to get right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Guys this is all great advice. (I can't believe someone hung a door
with only the trim nails! Yikes!) Yes, when I did my one and only door
last year (my dog ate it!) I thought to hang it on the hinges first,
to make sure I got the spacing right, but then I marked it with a
pencil, routed most of it out, and finished with a chisel. But I like
the idea of using the Stanley knife! I think after hearing all this
I'll go with just doors, not pre-hung. For one thing, I'll save a
couple of hundred bucks over getting pre-hung doors (and 12 pieces of
casing). I can use the $$$. And depending on the weight of the doors
I'll consider putting in a 3rd hinge - another good piece of advice
that I wouldn't have thought of.

I don't hang out on this group much but whenever I do, I'm
consistently impressed with the quality and quantity of advice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 16:44:22 -0700 (PDT), Test group SBA
wrote:

Guys this is all great advice. (I can't believe someone hung a door
with only the trim nails! Yikes!)

Nor, could I. But a good yank on the jamb(s) brought the frame down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Test group SBA" wrote in message
Guys this is all great advice. (I can't believe someone hung a door
with only the trim nails! Yikes!) Yes, when I did my one and only door
last year (my dog ate it!) I thought to hang it on the hinges first,
to make sure I got the spacing right, but then I marked it with a
pencil, routed most of it out, and finished with a chisel. But I like
the idea of using the Stanley knife! I think after hearing all this
I'll go with just doors, not pre-hung. For one thing, I'll save a
couple of hundred bucks over getting pre-hung doors (and 12 pieces of
casing). I can use the $$$. And depending on the weight of the doors
I'll consider putting in a 3rd hinge - another good piece of advice
that I wouldn't have thought of.

I don't hang out on this group much but whenever I do, I'm
consistently impressed with the quality and quantity of advice.

One more thing I forgot: Invest in a "hinge bit" for the screws. It helps
you center the drill hole so the screws go into the HW perfectly. The first
time I did a door, I tried to do it by eye, and the screws were all crooked
and off-center. Looked like $#@$.

You can buy a drill bit, or just a hammer punch.

http://www.amazon.com/HINGE-DRILL-Se..._ob_hi_title_1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 6:31*am, "Frank McElrath" wrote:

One more thing I forgot: *Invest in a "hinge bit" for the screws. * It helps
you center the drill hole so the screws go into the HW perfectly. The first
time I did a door, I tried to do it by eye, and the screws were all crooked
and off-center. *Looked like $#@$.

You can buy a drill bit, or just a hammer punch.

http://www.amazon.com/HINGE-DRILL-Se...p/B000I39OLK/r...

Yes, I've hung cabinet doors etc. and I know exactly what you mean. I
bought one quite a while ago and it's a must-have.