Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet flange is too high above concrete floor.

aemeijers wrote:
Walter E. wrote:
My house is 28 years old. It has 5 toilets. The 3" black, plastic
drainage pipes are in a slab with a steel flange popping out of the
slab. They all have the same problem:

The original builder used toilets that had a deeper than normal recess
in the area that matches with the the toilet flange. (Or maybe they
figured on putting extra thick tiles on the pad in the bathroom.)
Therefore, all toilet flanges stick out 1/2" above the concrete pad.
This makes it impossible to replace the toilet with standard toilets
because the new toilets would sit directly on the flange, leaving a
1/2" space between the bottom of the toilet and the slab. IOW, the
flange is too high. Result: the toilet wobbles.

When a previous owner replaced a toilet, he inserted a 1/2 sheet of
plywood under the toilet in order to raise the toilet. It now leaks
and looks like hell.

How can I resolve this problem. Of course, I could jackhammer the pad,
cut out out the old, glued-in flange, and glue in a new, shorter flange.

With 5 toilets, that would be a major undertaking

Can someone think of a simpler solution?

Borg may not have them, but a real plumbing house probably has
purpose-built shims to put under toilet to raise it up, that match the
countour for the brand you need. If you are willing to spend the time,
you could probably get 5 scraps of solid-surface material from a kitchen
place, and carve your own with drill and jigsaw. Just make a cardboard
template to lay it out, and mark where to cut and drill. With a good
template, the kitchen place may even be willing to do the carving pretty
cheaply for you.

If it ain't one thing, it's another.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Some type of fake marble or stone
countertop shaped to fit. Get all 5 toilets the same so you only have 1
template and it should get cheaper if they make all 5 the same.