Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 440 volt three phase question

I've had the moment to work on 440 volt roof top heating and AC.

Once in a while, need some power to run a 120 volt device. Is it 120
volts from one leg to ground?

(Yeah, I could just check it. But I was on the roof yesterday, and not
sure how long until I get to another roof.)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've had the moment to work on 440 volt roof top heating and AC.

Once in a while, need some power to run a 120 volt device. Is it 120
volts from one leg to ground?

(Yeah, I could just check it. But I was on the roof yesterday, and not
sure how long until I get to another roof.)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

No, it's 220 more or less, to ground

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've had the moment to work on 440 volt roof top heating and AC.

Once in a while, need some power to run a 120 volt device. Is it 120
volts from one leg to ground?

(Yeah, I could just check it. But I was on the roof yesterday, and not
sure how long until I get to another roof.)

There is normally a transformer in the panel to give you 120 volts if
120 volts is needed there. Don't you have a meter?

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 4:03�pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I've had the moment to work on 440 volt roof top heating and AC.

Once in a while, need some power to run a 120 volt device. Is it 120
volts from one leg to ground?

(Yeah, I could just check it. But I was on the roof yesterday, and not
sure how long until I get to another roof.)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
�www.lds.org
.

With any three phase sytem (assuming it's symetrical) the line volts
= phase volts divided by root three
ie in your case 440/1.73 =254
This is because the phases are 120 degrees apart.
This is the voltage that would appear between phase and ground or
phase and neutral.
However it's not a good idea to run electrical equipment between
phase and ground as there is a good chance of electrocuting yourself
or someone else. The someone else could be some distance away too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 11:03*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I've had the moment to work on 440 volt roof top heating and AC.

Once in a while, need some power to run a 120 volt device. Is it 120
volts from one leg to ground?

(Yeah, I could just check it. But I was on the roof yesterday, and not
sure how long until I get to another roof.)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

How old is this roof top unit... Seriously 440 volts ? Are you sure
that it isn't 480 volts ?

I asked the _age_ of the unit because there is supposed to be
a service outlet for 120 volt powered tools for maintaining the
roof top equipment installed somewhere near the unit...

And no, with a 3 phase 480 volt system it is typically 277 volts
on each leg...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you. Saves me building a device, and not have it work.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

The nominal 480 wye to neutral is 277 volts. That is why you see 277v
lighting in big buildings

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, thank you. I didn't know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
I've had the moment to work on 440 volt roof top heating and AC.

Once in a while, need some power to run a 120 volt device. Is it 120
volts from one leg to ground?

No.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, thank you. I didn't know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RBM" wrote in message

No, it's 220 more or less, to ground

Posted to alt.home.repair

Where I was working, there was a GFCI convenience outlet on the side
(120 VAC) but that got me to thinking. And, I'm learning.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"LSMFT" wrote in message

There is normally a transformer in the panel to give you 120 volts if
120 volts is needed there. Don't you have a meter?

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. That sounds reasonable. I do try not to use grounds as
neutrals, if at all possible.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"harry" wrote in message

With any three phase sytem (assuming it's symetrical) the line volts
= phase volts divided by root three
ie in your case 440/1.73 =254
This is because the phases are 120 degrees apart.
This is the voltage that would appear between phase and ground or
phase and neutral.
However it's not a good idea to run electrical equipment between
phase and ground as there is a good chance of electrocuting yourself
or someone else. The someone else could be some distance away too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How old is this roof top unit... Seriously 440 volts ? Are you sure
that it isn't 480 volts ?

CY: The unit looks maybe ten years old. It may well been 480, and I
typed it wong.

I asked the _age_ of the unit because there is supposed to be
a service outlet for 120 volt powered tools for maintaining the
roof top equipment installed somewhere near the unit...

CY: Actually, this one did have a convenience outlet. But,t hat gets
me thinking.

And no, with a 3 phase 480 volt system it is typically 277 volts
on each leg...

CY: Thanks.

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/27/2010 1:03 PM Evan spake thus:

wrote:
I've had the moment to work on 440 volt roof top heating and AC.

Once in a while, need some power to run a 120 volt device. Is it 120
volts from one leg to ground?

(Yeah, I could just check it. But I was on the roof yesterday, and not
sure how long until I get to another roof.)

How old is this roof top unit... Seriously 440 volts ? Are you sure
that it isn't 480 volts ?

Right; we should all tighten up our terminology, nominal voltage-wise.

It's 120, 240 and 480. *Not* 110, 220 and 440. (Not to mention all those
weird older numbers that were used, like 117 volts: WTF did that come
from???)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Usually, equipment is rated for a range of voltages. A lot of HVAC
equipment has different taps on the 24 volt control transformer to
pick a different primary voltage. I've seen some air handlers that
had a tap on the control transformer for 110 volts and another for
120 volts. Of course on larger package units there will be taps on
the primary of the control transformer to choose between 208 or 240.
I've seen a lot of blower motors that show a rating of 100-125 VAC
60 Hz on the nameplate.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

" I've had the moment to work on 440 volt roof top heating and AC.

Once in a while, need some power to run a 120 volt device. Is it 120
volts from one leg to ground?

(Yeah, I could just check it. But I was on the roof yesterday, and not
sure how long until I get to another roof.)

How old is this roof top unit... Seriously 440 volts ? Are you sure
that it isn't 480 volts ?

Right; we should all tighten up our terminology, nominal voltage-wise.

It's 120, 240 and 480. *Not* 110, 220 and 440. (Not to mention all those
weird older numbers that were used, like 117 volts: WTF did that come
from???)

*I have found that the actual voltage varies by power company. One company
in NJ supplies 460/265 volts while another supplies 480/277. It is quite
possible that Stormin is dealing with 440 volts.

When I worked for my father decades ago he did a lot of industrial work and
we quite often had to add buck and boost transformers to equipment because
the juice from the power company did not match the nameplate requirements
for a machine.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

John Grabowski wrote:

*I have found that the actual voltage varies by power company. One
company in NJ supplies 460/265 volts while another supplies 480/277. ...

More than likely it's owing to variations in distribution or even local
voltage drops rather than a difference in system generation setpoints
between utilities.

Posted to alt.home.repair

*I have found that the actual voltage varies by power company. One
company in NJ supplies 460/265 volts while another supplies 480/277. ...

More than likely it's owing to variations in distribution or even local
voltage drops rather than a difference in system generation setpoints
between utilities.

*Many years ago I had an issue with the voltage at a hospital that I was
working at. It seemed that there was low voltage everywhere. I had the
power company come in and monitor the building for a week, but they assured
me that they only supply 460/265 and that is what we were getting. The
ballasts for the fluorescent lighting were rated for 277 volts. I had to go
to every transformer in the building and change the taps so that we could
get 120 volts out of an outlet instead of the 102-105. I also had to
install a few buck and boost transformers on some A/C equipment.

Of course variation in distribution, voltage drop and distance from
transformers does have an effect.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 5:22*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Oh, thank you. I didn't know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RBM" wrote in message

*No, it's 220 more or less, to ground

It is entirely possible that the 440 volts is from a delta configured
transformer that is not ground referenced or is corner grounded.
Point is that one shouldn't assume that the transformer that is
supplying the current is Y configured.
--
Tom Horne
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2010 5:36 AM John Grabowski spake thus:

" I've had the moment to work on 440 volt roof top heating and AC.

Once in a while, need some power to run a 120 volt device. Is it 120
volts from one leg to ground?

(Yeah, I could just check it. But I was on the roof yesterday, and not
sure how long until I get to another roof.)

How old is this roof top unit... Seriously 440 volts ? Are you sure
that it isn't 480 volts ?

Right; we should all tighten up our terminology, nominal voltage-wise.

It's 120, 240 and 480. *Not* 110, 220 and 440. (Not to mention all those
weird older numbers that were used, like 117 volts: WTF did that come
from???)

*I have found that the actual voltage varies by power company. One company
in NJ supplies 460/265 volts while another supplies 480/277. It is quite
possible that Stormin is dealing with 440 volts.

Don't doubt you at all; however, the *nominal* voltages are still
120/240/480. What you're describing are basically under-voltage situations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 6:31�pm, Tom Horne wrote:
On May 27, 5:22�pm, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
Oh, thank you. I didn't know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RBM" wrote in message

�No, it's 220 more or less, to ground

It is entirely possible that the 440 volts is from a delta configured
transformer that is not ground referenced or is corner grounded.
Point is that one shouldn't assume that the transformer that is
supplying the current is Y configured.
--
Tom Horne

It's only possible to determine how a three phase transformer is
connected visually. Ie by checking the connections.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*LOL What about 208?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2010 3:44 PM, harry wrote:
On May 28, 6:31�pm, Tom wrote:
On May 27, 5:22�pm, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
Oh, thank you. I didn't know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

�No, it's 220 more or less, to ground

It is entirely possible that the 440 volts is from a delta configured
transformer that is not ground referenced or is corner grounded.
Point is that one shouldn't assume that the transformer that is
supplying the current is Y configured.
--
Tom Horne

It's only possible to determine how a three phase transformer is
connected visually. Ie by checking the connections.

You can make a very reliable determination with just a meter and knowing
how 3 phase AC works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

More likely, I forgot the number, and typed it wong. I don't deal with
480/3 very often.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

*I have found that the actual voltage varies by power company. One
company
in NJ supplies 460/265 volts while another supplies 480/277. It is
quite
possible that Stormin is dealing with 440 volts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've had the moment to work on 440 volt roof top heating and AC.

Once in a while, need some power to run a 120 volt device. Is it 120
volts from one leg to ground?

(Yeah, I could just check it. But I was on the roof yesterday, and not
sure how long until I get to another roof.)

No offense, Stormin, but the fact that you even have to ask such a Q means
you have no effing clue about electricity, and thus you proly should not be
fooling around with stuff that runs on electricity.

Proly missionary work is more your aptitude....

--
EA

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 6:31 pm, Tom �wrote:
On May 27, 5:22 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

�wrote:
Oh, thank you. I didn't know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

�wrote in message

No, it's 220 more or less, to ground

It is entirely possible that the 440 volts is from a delta configured
transformer that is not ground referenced or is corner grounded.
Point is that one shouldn't assume that the transformer that is
supplying the current is Y configured.
--
Tom Horne

It's only possible to determine how a three phase transformer is
connected �visually. �Ie by checking the connections.

You can make a very reliable determination with just a meter and knowing
how 3 phase AC works.- Hide quoted text -

That is completely wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, tell us what's right.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"harry" wrote in message

You can make a very reliable determination with just a meter and
knowing
how 3 phase AC works.- Hide quoted text -

That is completely wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 6:31 pm, Tom �wrote:
On May 27, 5:22 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

�wrote:
Oh, thank you. I didn't know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

�wrote in message

No, it's 220 more or less, to ground

It is entirely possible that the 440 volts is from a delta configured
transformer that is not ground referenced or is corner grounded.
Point is that one shouldn't assume that the transformer that is
supplying the current is Y configured.
--
Tom Horne

It's only possible to determine how a three phase transformer is
connected �visually. �Ie by checking the connections.

You can make a very reliable determination with just a meter and knowing
how 3 phase AC works.- Hide quoted text -

That is completely wrong.

Really? So if we take the original question where the OP could have used
their meter and as an example observed 480 VAC between each phase leg
and 277 from each phase leg to neutral we couldn't declare with
confidence that the source transformers were connected in "Y" ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 6:31 pm, Tom � wrote:
On May 27, 5:22 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

� wrote:
Oh, thank you. I didn't know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

� wrote in message

No, it's 220 more or less, to ground

It is entirely possible that the 440 volts is from a delta configured
transformer that is not ground referenced or is corner grounded.
Point is that one shouldn't assume that the transformer that is
supplying the current is Y configured.
--
Tom Horne

It's only possible to determine how a three phase transformer is
connected visually. Ie by checking the connections.

You can make a very reliable determination with just a meter and knowing
how 3 phase AC works.- Hide quoted text -

That is completely wrong.

Really? So if we take the original question where the OP could have used
their meter and as an example observed 480 VAC between each phase leg
and 277 from each phase leg to neutral we couldn't declare with
confidence that the source transformers were connected in "Y" ?- Hide quoted text -

If you read my post, If there are just three line connections brought
out, no, you can't tell whether its "star" or "delta" connected.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 6:31 pm, Tom � wrote:
On May 27, 5:22 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

� wrote:
Oh, thank you. I didn't know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

� wrote in message

[...]

I did. You didn't describe that limitation but you could still be a long
way from completely wrong with only a meter if you only had access to
the phase legs. Since a "Y" connection neutral is always bonded to
ground I could still get the same readings I described by placing one of
the meter probes on ground.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 6:31 pm, Tom � wrote:
On May 27, 5:22 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

� wrote:
Oh, thank you. I didn't know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

� wrote in message

[...]

It sounds easy enough for a 440V delta circuit to have all 3 legs
measure 277 volts from ground. One way for that to happen is if there is
significant and equal stray capacitance from each leg to ground. Another
is if someone connects a "Y" load to the circuit, and connects the load's
center point to ground.

--
- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 6:31 pm, Tom ? wrote:
On May 27, 5:22 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

? wrote:
Oh, thank you. I didn't know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

If I was unsure of the voltage, what I would do is call maintenance
and ask.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*As I recall on a delta connection one of the phases will have a higher
reading to ground than the other two. On a Y connection the reading to
ground will be the same. In NJ, Public Service Electric and Gas will not
permit that high leg to be installed in the same panel as the neutral. The
NEC allows it though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2010 5:01 PM, John Grabowski wrote:
[...]

That is because of the way the power company arranges that type of
service. One of the transformers used in the delta connection has a
center tap. They did that it situations where most of the load would be
3 phase but the same service could still supply 120 general purpose
loads without the need for an on premise transformer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*So a volt meter will tell you if the service is a delta or a Y.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , John Grabowski wrote:

*As I recall on a delta connection one of the phases will have a higher
reading to ground than the other two. On a Y connection the reading to
ground will be the same. In NJ, Public Service Electric and Gas will not
permit that high leg to be installed in the same panel as the neutral.
The NEC allows it though.

What you are describing sounds to me like a 240V "star" system with high
leg, a variant of Y. Two of the phases are 240V center tap with the center
tap connected to neutral. That provides four 120V legs. The third is 240V
with one end rather than the center tap of that transformer's winding
connected to neutral to provide the "high leg". It is possible to use the
center tap of that to provide a fifth 120V leg.

--
- Don Klipstein )

Posted to alt.home.repair

*As I recall on a delta connection one of the phases will have a higher
reading to ground than the other two. On a Y connection the reading to
ground will be the same. In NJ, Public Service Electric and Gas will not
permit that high leg to be installed in the same panel as the neutral.
The NEC allows it though.

What you are describing sounds to me like a 240V "star" system with high
leg, a variant of Y. Two of the phases are 240V center tap with the
center
tap connected to neutral. That provides four 120V legs. The third is
240V
with one end rather than the center tap of that transformer's winding
connected to neutral to provide the "high leg". It is possible to use the
center tap of that to provide a fifth 120V leg.

*It's been a while since I have worked on three phase, but I seem to recall
on a three phase 240 volt delta system, the high (Orange) leg is around 180
volts to ground. I only remember one phase as being center tapped. Next
time I meet with someone from the power company I will ask them to refresh
my memory.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*I was just looking in my PSE&G handbook and found a drawing for three phase
services. They supply 3 phase 4 wire 120/240 volt delta, 3 phase 4 wire
120/208 volt wye, 3 phase 4 wire 277/480 volt wye services and they also
list 3 phase 4 wire 265/460 volt wye but in parentheses they have
"Obsolete". I guess the 460 is being or has been phased out (No pun
intended). For the delta service they want the orange leg on the right
terminal in the meter and of course after that it must go on the center
terminal as per the NEC. As I mentioned before PSE&G wants the neutral in a
separate panel from the high leg, therefore two panels must be installed;
one single phase with neutral and one three phase without neutral. I think
JCP&L will accept the neutral and high leg together, but I would have to
double check.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 6:31 pm, Tom � wrote:
On May 27, 5:22 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

� wrote:
Oh, thank you. I didn't know.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

� wrote in message

[...]

the meter probes on ground.- Hide quoted text -

But you still wouldn't know whether it was star or delta connected.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 11:29�pm, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In article , John Grabowski wrote:
*As I recall on a delta connection one of the phases will have a higher
reading to ground than the other two. �On a Y connection the reading to
ground will be the same. �In NJ, Public Service Electric and Gas will not
permit that high leg to be installed in the same panel as the neutral. �
The NEC allows it though.

� What you are describing sounds to me like a 240V "star" system with high
leg, a variant of Y. �Two of the phases are 240V center tap with the center
tap connected to neutral. �That provides four 120V legs. �The third is 240V
with one end rather than the center tap of that transformer's winding
connected to neutral to provide the "high leg". �It is possible to use the
center tap of that to provide a fifth 120V leg.

--
�- Don Klipstein )

What you are describing is called a zig zag connected transformer,
common in the US but rarely used in the UK except for producing a
phase shift for rectification purposes. (DC output more ripple free )
http://www.langlois-france.com/pdf/ZIG-GB.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

A 240V phase-to-phase delta with grounded of center tap of one of the
three transformer windings feeding it would have its "high leg" at 208V
from "neutral", same as 120V "leg-to-ground" "Y" or "star" having any
"leg" of this being 208V from a leg one phase apart.

Furthermore, a "delta" source can power a "Y" load unless the source to
the load has neutral disagreeing with a delta's neutral being connected to
center tap of one of the 3 feeding transformer windings. And a "Y" source
can power a "delta" load.

These compatibilities are qualified by compatibility in voltage
leg-to-leg, or "phase-to-phase", which I consider to be more of a notation
for "delta" and less for "Wye".

Furthermore, I have seen some preference for 3-phase power to be
delivered from a source in form of delta without neutral connected to any
point of the 3 feeding transformers' windings when there is lack of need
for anything else. The reasoning is that failing-open of one of the 3
same-level-upstream transformer windings only reduces how much power can
be delivered, with little to no compromise otherwise in ability to use
all 3 phases.

--
- Don Klipstein )