Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default is there such a thing?

Hello... I am storing a few rechargable whipper snipper batteries in my
garden shed along with other assorted batteries. I want to time my charger
to give them a charge say 1 day every two months or maybe one day a month. I
know if I go out to the shed and just plug the battery charger in I'll
freaking forget about them and they'll charge for a freaking week before I
remember. (I'm 51 and my mind is toast...70"s were real good to me lol)
Anyways...I googled "monthly timer" etc and found nothing that would
help... is there a 110 volt timer that will do something like this? If you
run across this would you mind posting a link? Thanks folks.. Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 12:33*pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
*Hello... I am storing a few rechargable whipper snipper batteries in my
garden shed along with other assorted batteries. I want to time my charger
to give them a charge say 1 day every two months or maybe one day a month.. I
know if I go out to the shed and just plug the battery charger in I'll
freaking forget about them and they'll charge for a freaking week before I
remember. (I'm 51 and my mind is toast...70"s were real good to me lol)
* * * Anyways...I googled "monthly timer" etc and found nothing that would
help... *is there a 110 volt timer that will do something like this? *If you
run across this would you mind posting a link? Thanks folks.. Jim

Why not use a day timer and set it for the minimum on time? That
should be fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 12:33*pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
*Hello... I am storing a few rechargable whipper snipper batteries in my
garden shed along with other assorted batteries. I want to time my charger
to give them a charge say 1 day every two months or maybe one day a month.. I
know if I go out to the shed and just plug the battery charger in I'll
freaking forget about them and they'll charge for a freaking week before I
remember. (I'm 51 and my mind is toast...70"s were real good to me lol)
* * * Anyways...I googled "monthly timer" etc and found nothing that would
help... *is there a 110 volt timer that will do something like this? *If you
run across this would you mind posting a link? Thanks folks.. Jim

Decent chargers won't overcharge batteries but if this is cheap crap,
you could just put them on a timer and charge them an hour a day.
Your bigger worry is storing the batteries outside in the shed.
Depending on where you live, that'll cook 'em just as sure as
overcharging will.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 6:33�pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
�Hello... I am storing a few rechargable whipper snipper batteries in my
garden shed along with other assorted batteries. I want to time my charger
to give them a charge say 1 day every two months or maybe one day a month.. I
know if I go out to the shed and just plug the battery charger in I'll
freaking forget about them and they'll charge for a freaking week before I
remember. (I'm 51 and my mind is toast...70"s were real good to me lol)
� � � Anyways...I googled "monthly timer" etc and found nothing that would
help... �is there a 110 volt timer that will do something like this? �If you
run across this would you mind posting a link? Thanks folks.. Jim

Yes there is. You need to dismantle a video recorder & get the timer
out of that.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"Jeff The Drunk" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 25 May 2010 11:33:24 -0600, Jim wrote:

Hello... I am storing a few rechargable whipper snipper batteries in my
garden shed along with other assorted batteries. I want to time my
charger to give them a charge say 1 day every two months or maybe one
day a month. I know if I go out to the shed and just plug the battery
charger in I'll freaking forget about them and they'll charge for a
freaking week before I remember. (I'm 51 and my mind is toast...70"s
were real good to me lol)
Anyways...I googled "monthly timer" etc and found nothing that
would
help... is there a 110 volt timer that will do something like this? If
you run across this would you mind posting a link? Thanks folks.. Jim

So leaving the batteries hooked up to the charger will harm them? Do you
have some documentation saying this? This isn't the case for my Hitachi
drill or my Black and decker Weed Hog trimmer. Most NiMH/NiCAD chargers
are somewhat more smart than just a wall wart. If you haven't read about
charging these I suggest you do so. I'm in my mid 50's and the 70's were
REAL good to me also but evidently I didn't fry enough brain cells to
affect my short term memory.

I didn't say leaving batteries on a charger will harm them nor would I
want to look for any documentation on that...I just don't want to leave the
charger on is the reason why I am asking ......Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
Hello... I am storing a few rechargable whipper snipper batteries in
my garden shed along with other assorted batteries. I want to time my
charger to give them a charge say 1 day every two months or maybe one
day a month. I know if I go out to the shed and just plug the battery
charger in I'll freaking forget about them and they'll charge for a
freaking week before I remember. (I'm 51 and my mind is toast...70"s
were real good to me lol) Anyways...I googled "monthly timer"
etc and found nothing that would help... is there a 110 volt timer
that will do something like this? If you run across this would you
mind posting a link? Thanks folks.. Jim

Just get a mechanical twist timer. As you walk by once in a while, give it a
twist. The chargers will run for an hour or whatever you set it to, then turn
off. You can probably get one that will go up to 24 hours if you need.

You could use a sprinkler timer switching a relay to the power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

You could use a sprinkler timer switching a relay to the power.

Ooh! Good idea!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 25 May 2010 11:33:24 -0600, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

Hello... I am storing a few rechargable whipper snipper batteries in my
garden shed along with other assorted batteries. I want to time my charger
to give them a charge say 1 day every two months or maybe one day a month. I
know if I go out to the shed and just plug the battery charger in I'll
freaking forget about them and they'll charge for a freaking week before I
remember. (I'm 51 and my mind is toast...70"s were real good to me lol)
Anyways...I googled "monthly timer" etc and found nothing that would
help... is there a 110 volt timer that will do something like this? If you
run across this would you mind posting a link? Thanks folks.. Jim

There are wall switches with a weekly timer. You can have it turn on
an outlet for 10 minutes a week.

You can also use standard mechanical timers. Have it turn on for one
hour every 24 hours and when it is on have it power another such timer
that will turn on for one hour of every 24 hours of elapsed time, and
run the charger off of that.

So the first timer will run all the time, and the second timer will
take 24 days to cover 24 hours. So the charger will be on one hour
every 24 days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 May 2010 13:23:28 -0600, Jim wrote:

[...]

I see. Are you trying to save a few watts of electricity, afraid the
chargers will catch fire, trying to extend the life of the charges, all
of the above or have some other logical reason that you want the charges
off immediately after use? You have a computer obviously. There are free
programs that can remind you of certain events that you could set up
to remind you to turn the chargers off. Can you have a neighbor remind
you? A relative? Friend? Hell gimme your phone number and I'll call you
and remind you.

Why in hell are you so curious as to WHY I want to do what I want to
do?... It was a simple question that obviously you have no answer to and
have contributed NOTHING!....so why not just shut the hell up?.. Are you
truly drunk when you drivel on like this? Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

There are wall switches with a weekly timer. You can have it turn on
an outlet for 10 minutes a week.

You can also use standard mechanical timers. Have it turn on for one
hour every 24 hours and when it is on have it power another such timer
that will turn on for one hour of every 24 hours of elapsed time, and
run the charger off of that.

So the first timer will run all the time, and the second timer will
take 24 days to cover 24 hours. So the charger will be on one hour
every 24 days.

That sounds like a sensible (and cheap) solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
Hello... I am storing a few rechargable whipper snipper batteries in my
garden shed along with other assorted batteries. I want to time my charger
to give them a charge say 1 day every two months or maybe one day a month. I
know if I go out to the shed and just plug the battery charger in I'll
freaking forget about them and they'll charge for a freaking week before I
remember. (I'm 51 and my mind is toast...70"s were real good to me lol)
Anyways...I googled "monthly timer" etc and found nothing that would
help... is there a 110 volt timer that will do something like this? If you
run across this would you mind posting a link? Thanks folks.. Jim

A bunch of timers he http://tinyurl.com/28zfyee
I didn't try to sort through them. The link is to Allied Electronics.
I don't think they sell retail but at least you'll get an idea if what
you want is available.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
Jim wrote:
[...]

I have bought from Allied. Called them and person found what I wanted so I
could order. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Jim wrote:
[...]

WOW!...now THAT was VERY helpfull Thank you very much Dean!...totally
makes sense....problem SOLVED!....right on!... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote in message
Hello... I am storing a few rechargable whipper snipper batteries in my
garden shed along with other assorted batteries. I want to time my charger
to give them a charge say 1 day every two months or maybe one day a month.
I know if I go out to the shed and just plug the battery charger in I'll
freaking forget about them and they'll charge for a freaking week before I
remember. (I'm 51 and my mind is toast...70"s were real good to me lol)
Anyways...I googled "monthly timer" etc and found nothing that would
help... is there a 110 volt timer that will do something like this? If
you run across this would you mind posting a link? Thanks folks.. Jim

There are plenty of timers that you can schedule for a week, choosing the
days you want it to go on. Use one of those and have it come on for a half
hour a week instead of 2 hours a month.
http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/pr...sp?sku=0864515

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
Hello... I am storing a few rechargable whipper snipper batteries in my
garden shed along with other assorted batteries. I want to time my charger
to give them a charge say 1 day every two months or maybe one day a month. I
know if I go out to the shed and just plug the battery charger in I'll
freaking forget about them and they'll charge for a freaking week before I
remember. (I'm 51 and my mind is toast...70"s were real good to me lol)
Anyways...I googled "monthly timer" etc and found nothing that would
help... is there a 110 volt timer that will do something like this? If you
run across this would you mind posting a link? Thanks folks.. Jim

7 day timers are quite common and I'm very fond of the Diehl timers.
I like their synchronous motor drive timers rather than the standard
electromechanical timers that you may see everywhere. The mechanical
timers will wear out but I haven't had a Diehl timer quit yet. You
can setup a 7 day timer to charge the batteries for a short time once
a week and I think you'll have no problems with the batteries. The
Diehl timers have a motor drive but the power switching is handled
by a relay rather than the standard type electromechanical timer in
which the timer motor actuates spring loaded mechanical contacts.
That's the part that wears out on the old style timers.

It's funny that distributer is named "Borg".

http://www.borggeneral.com/diehl-tim...es220-270.html

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Something like this:
http://www.jascoproducts.com/product...?idproduct=176
Set to be on one hour a day. Won't kill the battery as fast as leaving
it on 24/7.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 12:33*pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
*Hello... I am storing a few rechargable whipper snipper batteries in my
garden shed along with other assorted batteries. I want to time my charger
to give them a charge say 1 day every two months or maybe one day a month.. I
know if I go out to the shed and just plug the battery charger in I'll
freaking forget about them and they'll charge for a freaking week before I
remember. (I'm 51 and my mind is toast...70"s were real good to me lol)
* * * Anyways...I googled "monthly timer" etc and found nothing that would
help... *is there a 110 volt timer that will do something like this? *If you
run across this would you mind posting a link? Thanks folks.. Jim

What is the point, just charge before use. To determine if your
charger overcharges or is a smart peak charger a use a volt meter to
measure voltage and check the temperature of the pack. A Nicad 1.2v
cell should stop charging at about 1.3-1.38 v per cell, then the
charger should shut off if its voltage peak, Temp peak charging would
be several degrees above room temp, if pack stays hot or continues to
receive charge then its not a very good charger. My old B&D chargers
were not good. Best is just charge before use there is not need to
maintain 100% charge all the time, those that say leave in the charger
like B&D just cook batteries slowly to death without very good peaking
monitoring. My way of thinking is if the pack is hot its not good for
the batteries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

One word...

Solartricklecharger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
Hello... I am storing a few rechargable whipper snipper batteries in my
garden shed along with other assorted batteries. I want to time my charger
to give them a charge say 1 day every two months or maybe one day a month. I
know if I go out to the shed and just plug the battery charger in I'll
freaking forget about them and they'll charge for a freaking week before I
remember. (I'm 51 and my mind is toast...70"s were real good to me lol)
Anyways...I googled "monthly timer" etc and found nothing that would
help... is there a 110 volt timer that will do something like this? If you
run across this would you mind posting a link? Thanks folks.. Jim

Hi,
There is such thing as intelligent charger.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 9:00*pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
* * Why in hell are you so curious as to WHY I want to do what I want to
do?... It was a simple question that obviously you have no answer to and
have contributed NOTHING!....so why not just shut the hell up?.. Are you
truly drunk when you drivel on like this? * Jim

Because often times the WHY is very relevant. It's often based on some
old wives' tale, or irrational paranoid delusions.

If you have some practical technical reason then it might be worth our
time to spend some time helping you find your answer. However, if
you're just another net.kook who can't be convinced that he doesn't
really need to wear that tinfoil hat, then there's no sense in wasting
any more time on you.

Frankly, I'm starting to lean towards the latter choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 4:04*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Just get a mechanical twist timer. As you walk by once in a while, give it a
twist. The chargers will run for an hour or whatever you set it to, then turn
off. You can probably get one that will go up to 24 hours if you need.

You could use a sprinkler timer switching a relay to the power.

That's just replacing the burden of remembering one thing with
remembering something else. His problem is remembering, period. Net
gain, ZERO.

Here is a solution:

Hook any old daily timer to a MECHANICAL 7-day timers in series.
Program the daily to run 6 hours a day. Program the 7-day timer to run
one hour a week.

End result will be one hour of power every 4 weeks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
[...]

But a lot of cheap ones *are* just wall worts and it will ruin them to
leave them charging 24/7. I put the 2 cheapo's I have on a timer to
slow charge them for 15 minutes a day. It works very well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
[...]

I like that. It helps to charge a lead battery every month or so, but
nickel batteries don't seem to deteriorate from sitting uncharged.

Part of the plate material can dry if a nickel battery sits for months,
so it may not have much capacity on the next charge. Each recharge
should help moisten the plates and improve performance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

wrote in message
On May 25, 9:00 pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
Why in hell are you so curious as to WHY I want to do what I want to
do?... It was a simple question that obviously you have no answer to and
have contributed NOTHING!....so why not just shut the hell up?.. Are you
truly drunk when you drivel on like this? Jim

Because often times the WHY is very relevant. It's often based on some
old wives' tale, or irrational paranoid delusions.

If you have some practical technical reason then it might be worth our
time to spend some time helping you find your answer. However, if
you're just another net.kook who can't be convinced that he doesn't
really need to wear that tinfoil hat, then there's no sense in wasting
any more time on you.

Frankly, I'm starting to lean towards the latter choice.
\

I am very carefull to disclose "why" because then I get real smart ****
like "Read the owners manual" and 'check with your local building codes"
which are obvious answers that are tried by me before typing to this
group... Also disclosing "Why" lends the group to go all over the map
without answering the question...

you see in this post I shouldn't have even mentioned the word "battery"
as a "why" because the discussion is now about charging batterys... Whay I
should have said is I need a monthly 110 volt power timer....anybody seen
one and perhaps the discussion would have stayed on just that.... THAT is
why I eliminate WHY....so I pass the tin hat back to you arsehole.... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 1:17*pm, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

"What I should have said is I need a monthly 110 volt power timer"

And you don't think *somebody* would have asked why? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

wrote in message

[...]

yeah...LOL...too funny...... Thanks for that....Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Compatible?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Thomas" wrote in message
One word...

Solartricklecharger

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 25 May 2010 20:07:00 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

mm wrote:

There are wall switches with a weekly timer. You can have it turn on
an outlet for 10 minutes a week.

You can also use standard mechanical timers. Have it turn on for one
hour every 24 hours and when it is on have it power another such timer
that will turn on for one hour of every 24 hours of elapsed time, and
run the charger off of that.

So the first timer will run all the time, and the second timer will
take 24 days to cover 24 hours. So the charger will be on one hour
every 24 days.

That sounds like a sensible (and cheap) solution.

Thanks. I thought about this some more and though I was right, it
will be on one hour every 24 days, the hour will probably be split
over two consecutive days. Like 25 minutes one day and 35 the next.

Probably won't matter when charging a battery but might in some ways
if one is taking time lapse photography or something.

did I do a Bad Thing? Nate Nagel Home Repair 23 May 5th 09 12:41 AM
Buy Something even if its just one thing! BuySmartShopping Home Ownership 0 October 2nd 06 11:07 PM
Same thing brush7734 Metalworking 0 November 24th 05 01:03 PM
Here is a gun thing Waynemak Metalworking 3 March 10th 05 10:09 PM
What's this leaky thing in my boiler...? - thing.jpg (0/1) fred UK diy 9 August 21st 04 11:51 PM