GFCI wall outlet in unfinished basement

Old May 20th 10, 02:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI wall outlet in unfinished basement

Beta-42 wrote:
I want to add a surface-mounted GFCI outlet on the wall in an
unfinished basement (for a washing machine). The wiring going to the
outlet will be 12/2 NM.

I think I can figure out how to do it if I just use a metal box and
metal conduit. But, I am wondering if there is a way that I can do
it using plastic/PVC instead of metal. I am thinking of using this
type of PVC box:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4FYW1 ,

and then running the 12/2 NM wire down along the wall through
1/2-inch PVC conduit to get to the box.

If I do that, my question is, "Is there some type of fitting or
adapter that goes on the top end of the PVC conduit where the 12/2 NM
enters the PVC conduit?"

Before you do all that, consider that the motor surge of the washing machine
may nusiance-trip the GFCI outlet (same as a refrigerator).

Old May 20th 10, 02:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 8:05*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Beta-42 wrote:
I want to add a surface-mounted GFCI outlet on the wall in an
unfinished basement (for a washing machine). *The wiring going to the
outlet will be 12/2 NM.

I think I can figure out how to do it if I just use a metal box and
metal conduit. *But, I am wondering if there is a way that I can do
it using plastic/PVC instead of metal. *I am thinking of using this
type of PVC box:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4FYW1,

and then running the 12/2 NM wire down along the wall through
1/2-inch PVC conduit to get to the box.

If I do that, my question is, "Is there some type of fitting or
adapter that goes on the top end of the PVC conduit where the 12/2 NM
enters the PVC conduit?"

Before you do all that, consider that the motor surge of the washing machine
may nusiance-trip the GFCI outlet (same as a refrigerator).- Hide quoted text -

Agreed that's possible. I don't believe that a gfci would be required
in this situation. But if you are worried I suspect a single plug
outlet dedicated to the washer would avoid any code entanglements
without using a gfci. But I have seen many ordinary 2 plug outlet
boxes in infinshed basements without gfci's in them.
Old May 20th 10, 06:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
On May 20, 8:05 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Beta-42 wrote:
[...]

The gfci will not be affected by a motor surge, and gfci protection is
required for ALL 15 & 20 amp outlets in unfinished parts of a basement

Old May 21st 10, 01:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I want to add a surface-mounted GFCI outlet on the wall in an
unfinished basement (for a washing machine). The wiring going to the
outlet will be 12/2 NM.

I think I can figure out how to do it if I just use a metal box and
metal conduit. But, I am wondering if there is a way that I can do
it using plastic/PVC instead of metal. I am thinking of using this
type of PVC box:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4FYW1 ,

and then running the 12/2 NM wire down along the wall through
1/2-inch PVC conduit to get to the box.

If I do that, my question is, "Is there some type of fitting or
adapter that goes on the top end of the PVC conduit where the 12/2 NM
enters the PVC conduit?"

Before you do all that, consider that the motor surge of the washing
machine may nusiance-trip the GFCI outlet (same as a refrigerator).

*At my last code update seminar when the new changes to GFI protection
requirements came up, the instructor told us that appliance manufacturers
were now building appliances to higher leakage standards than before.
Nuisance tripping of the garage refrigerator should be eliminated as well as
other major appliances. Also GFI's have been redesigned in the past few
years and you should not have the problems that were a nuisance in the past.

From my own experience I have received calls from customers complaining of
nuisance tripping with appliances. The problem usually turned out to be
with the appliance.

Old May 22nd 10, 02:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 7:59*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
[...]

From my own experience I have received calls from customers complaining of
nuisance tripping with appliances. *The problem usually turned out to be
with the appliance.- Hide quoted text -

Be that as it may. If you have a major appliance that if fine other
than nuisance tripping the gfci you gonna buy a new appliance? Or
take out the gfci and replace it with a single outlet?
Old May 22nd 10, 02:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

From my own experience I have received calls from customers complaining of
nuisance tripping with appliances. The problem usually turned out to be
with the appliance.- Hide quoted text -

Be that as it may. If you have a major appliance that if fine other
than nuisance tripping the gfci you gonna buy a new appliance? Or
take out the gfci and replace it with a single outlet?

People can, and will do whatever they want, however the current NEC does not
have a provision or exception for using anything but a GFCI protected outlet
in an unfinished basement

Old May 22nd 10, 04:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

From my own experience I have received calls from customers complaining of
nuisance tripping with appliances. The problem usually turned out to be
with the appliance.- Hide quoted text -

Be that as it may. If you have a major appliance that if fine other
than nuisance tripping the gfci you gonna buy a new appliance? Or
take out the gfci and replace it with a single outlet?

*First I would replace the GFI with a new GFI. If the tripping was not
eliminated, that would indicate that there's a problem with the appliance
and a possible shock hazard. I would not want to keep an appliance that I
could get electrocuted from.