Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI wall outlet in unfinished basement

"RBM" wrote in message

"Beta-42" wrote in message
I want to add a surface-mounted GFCI outlet on the wall in an unfinished
basement (for a washing machine). The wiring going to the outlet will be
12/2 NM.

I think I can figure out how to do it if I just use a metal box and metal
conduit. But, I am wondering if there is a way that I can do it using
plastic/PVC instead of metal. I am thinking of using this type of PVC
box:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4FYW1 ,

and then running the 12/2 NM wire down along the wall through 1/2-inch
PVC conduit to get to the box.

If I do that, my question is, "Is there some type of fitting or adapter
that goes on the top end of the PVC conduit where the 12/2 NM enters the
PVC conduit?"

If so, is that type of fitting shown anywhere in this product brochure?:

http://www.kraloyfittings.com/downlo...loy%20ftgs.pdf

Thanks.

The pvc and pvc box is fine. If you can't run the conduit continuous into
the breaker box, terminate it in a 4" square metal box adjacent to the
panel, then from that box into the panel. The fittings you would use are
called male adaptors

Thanks.

I think I may have mistakenly described this as having the 12/2 NM feed to
the outlet running horizontally along the wall from the breaker box to the
outlet. That is not the case. The 12/2 NM feed from the breaker box will
be up in between the ceiling joists and then will run "down" (meaning
vertically down) along the wall to the outlet. Where it runs down along the
wall it will be enclosed in the PVC conduit.

So, I am assuming that I can just have the 12/2 NM feed enter the vertical
PVC conduit above the outlet in between the ceiling joists. And, I am
trying to figure out if I need to put some type of fitting there where the
NM enters the conduit. I know that if it were metal conduit I could put a
fitting there that would clamp onto the NM and clamp onto the metal conduit.
But do I need something like that when using PVC conduit? I don't see any
similar fittings in PVC like the ones I see for metal conduit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 7:35*am, "Beta-42" wrote:
"RBM" wrote in message

"Beta-42" wrote in message
[...]

similar fittings in PVC like the ones I see for metal conduit.- Hide quoted text -

You're really supposed to use individual conductors inside a conduit,
pvc or metal. That requires an accessible box above to transition
to. I think you are overengineering this. You said unfinished so I'm
assuming the wall studs are accessible. If you are able to staple the
12/2 along the side of a wall stud I believe that is all that is
required for protection in an unfinished space. You can also mount a
normal box against the same wall stud.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Beta-42" wrote in message
"RBM" wrote in message

"Beta-42" wrote in message
[...]

OK, I got it now. Yes, you can sleeve the nm in pvc for protection,
vertically from the box to the ceiling. PVC is more bulky and ugly than
steel tubing , but it's perfectly acceptable. You need to put a male adapter
with a plastic threaded bushing on the end of the pvc where the nm enters
it, and the cable must be stapled to the joists withing 12" of that point.
as per NEC334.15C

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Beta-42" wrote in message
"RBM" wrote in message
"Beta-42" wrote in message
[...]

A minor quibble - the requirement is "insulated bushing or adapter" - I
think just a PVC male adapter or coupling is required at the top. The
Romex jacket has to extend at least 1/4" into the box.

If you use a metal box and EMT, the plastic bushing is required. That is
a change in the 2008 NEC - not obvious to me what a plastic bushing adds
to just a connector.

334.15C is specifically "unfinished basements", but you should be able
to use a running board as John said. I like a metal box and EMT. If
there are studs, you could run down the side of the stud.

In addition to GFCI protection in unfinished basements you need GFCI
protection where the receptacle is within 6 ft of the edge of "laundry,
utility and wet bar sinks". Modern GFCIs should not nuisance trip.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bud--" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"Beta-42" wrote in message
"RBM" wrote in message
"Beta-42" wrote in message
[...]

I agree, and typically use emt. It's just a cleaner looking job. In the
past, when I have used pvc as a sleeve, I would round off the edge with a
rat tail, so as not to cut the Romex, but I have had occasions where
inspectors wanted male adaptors with plastic bushings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*I always thought a clamp was required at the end of the conduit. Maybe I
just do it out of habit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

[...]

It's probably because years ago when you did what the OP is doing, except
with BX and EMT, you had to choke it to keep the ground continuous. Since
there's no external ground involved with NM, you're just concerned with it
getting ripped out, so you have the staple requirement. In any event it
appears that clamping the cable is always acceptable, and stapling is
sometimes acceptable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*Roy I looked it up. Article 334.15(C). A bushing and staple is permitted
for NM sleeved in conduit. Thanks for setting me straight. I think I am
ready to get a job as an electrician now :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

If you're just ready now, that means a bunch of us still have a ways to
go!!!