Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sealing microwave exhaust duct

I am nearing completion of a kitchen remodel. I am wondering how you
have dealt with sealing the exhaust fan port to the ducting going to
the attic.

I was able to thoroughly seal the exhaust port to the top of the oven
with foil tape prior to mounting the microwave. The microwave has to
be mounted before the duct can be attached to the exhaust port.
Unfortunately, because of the limited space around the cutout in the
cabinet, I can't seal the joint between duct and exhaust port with the
same foil tape.

Any ideas?

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 8:28*pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
I am nearing completion of a kitchen remodel. *I am wondering how you
have dealt with sealing the exhaust fan port to the ducting going to
the attic.

I was able to thoroughly seal the exhaust port to the top of the oven
with foil tape prior to mounting the microwave. *The microwave has to
be mounted before the duct can be attached to the exhaust port.
Unfortunately, because of the limited space around the cutout in the
cabinet, I can't seal the joint between duct and exhaust port with the
same foil tape.

Any ideas?

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Usually the microwave comes with a flange with the damper attached and
that goes into the ductwork. I don't think you need to seal where the
microwave meets the ductwork. I don't think its possible anyway since
there is no room to seal it once the microwave is installed.
From memory, I don't think my installation manual metions it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 7:50*pm, Mikepier wrote:
[...]

From memory, I don't think my installation manual metions it.- Hide quoted text -

Never heard of directly connecting a uwave to an exhaust. My
experience is that the exhaust fan in a uwave isn't nearly strong
enough to exhaust thru any reasonable duct length.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 May 2010 17:50:54 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier
wrote:

[...]

From memory, I don't think my installation manual metions it.

Yes, mine had the flange with the damper. That's what I was calling
the "exhaust port." I was able to seal the exhaust port to the
exterior sheet metal of the oven with no problem. When I put the
3-1/4x10 duct over the exhaust port (flange) it just fits over the
exhaust port somewhat loosely. It fits as snugly as can be expected
with no other components. There is a noticeable rush of air inside the
cabinet coming from that joint. I never noticed that type of air leak
with the old unit. However, the fan on this one seems to much more
powerful than the old one.

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am nearing completion of a kitchen remodel. I am wondering how you
have dealt with sealing the exhaust fan port to the ducting going to
the attic.

I was able to thoroughly seal the exhaust port to the top of the oven
with foil tape prior to mounting the microwave. The microwave has to
be mounted before the duct can be attached to the exhaust port.
Unfortunately, because of the limited space around the cutout in the
cabinet, I can't seal the joint between duct and exhaust port with the
same foil tape.

*One microwave that I removed a year or so ago had weatherstripping around
the duct edges on both the wall and microwave oven. First time that I saw
that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, mine had the flange with the damper. *That's what I was calling
the "exhaust port." *I was able to seal the exhaust port to the
exterior sheet metal of the oven with no problem. *When I put the
3-1/4x10 duct over the exhaust port (flange) it just fits over the
exhaust port somewhat loosely. *It fits as snugly as can be expected
with no other components. There is a noticeable rush of air inside the
cabinet coming from that joint. *I never noticed that type of air leak
with the old unit. *However, the fan on this one seems to much more
powerful than the old one.

All the microwave/fans I've seen has the flange attached to the unit
with the fastening tabs. I don't recall any in which you seal the
flange to the unit. Read the instructions that came with your unit and
see what it says, but I'm pretty sure the flange stays on the unit
with no sealing.
Make sure your unit is configured to blow air out the top. Some units
you have to re-orient the fan inside depending on whether you want to
blow air out the top or side
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 7:45*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
I am nearing completion of a kitchen remodel. *I am wondering how you
have dealt with sealing the exhaust fan port to the ducting going to
the attic.

I was able to thoroughly seal the exhaust port to the top of the oven
with foil tape prior to mounting the microwave. *The microwave has to
be mounted before the duct can be attached to the exhaust port.
Unfortunately, because of the limited space around the cutout in the
cabinet, I can't seal the joint between duct and exhaust port with the
same foil tape.

*One microwave that I removed a year or so ago had weatherstripping around
the duct edges on both the wall and microwave oven. *First time that I saw
that.

That's how I do it. You can get that 1/2" by 1/2" foam that is sticky
on one side.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 10:32*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
hr(bob) wrote:

Never heard of directly connecting a uwave to an exhaust. *My
experience is that the exhaust fan in a uwave isn't nearly strong
enough to exhaust thru any reasonable duct length.

If it doesn't have an exhaust connected, where is the exhaust going to go? Back
into the kitchen? That would be idiotic.

Mine exhausts fine.

All the countertop uwaves I have ever owned or seen do exhaust back
into the room in which they are located.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 5:31*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On May 16, 10:32*pm, "Bob F" wrote:

hr(bob) wrote:

Never heard of directly connecting a uwave to an exhaust. *My
experience is that the exhaust fan in a uwave isn't nearly strong
enough to exhaust thru any reasonable duct length.

If it doesn't have an exhaust connected, where is the exhaust going to go? Back
into the kitchen? That would be idiotic.

Mine exhausts fine.

All the countertop uwaves I have ever owned or seen do exhaust back
into the room in which they are located.

Not a countertop, an over the stove. And if you look at the way the
exhaust fan is setup on most of them you will see that it can be
removed and reinserted such that it now exhausts straight up. If you
have duct work installed above it you can vent it outside instead of
just recirculating the air