Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Need help repiring rust hole in Weber grill dome

On May 16, 11:07*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Ron wrote:

-snip-

I didn't write that. Quite the opposite in fact. Although there is at
least one idiot in here that thinks that if a *Weber* grill has a
1/2" hole in the lid "it's done".

I don't know if I'm the idiot, you're referring to-- but let me
clarify *my* opinion. * * If a 1/2 in hole bothers the OP-- he can
spend several hours repairing to get maybe one more season out of his
grill.

Not talking about you!

The OP hasn't given the age of the grill, so what makes you think he
can "get maybe one more season" out of it? And as another poster
suggested, it might be under warranty.

He has already been given a VERY easy solution to repairing the hole.
A washer, bolt and nut. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that Weber would
make a grill that would rust out. My grill that I bought from Sears is
made from cast aluminum.

Or he can buy a new one for under $100. *[or a lightly used one on
craigslist for 1/2 of that]

A Weber????
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:

-snip-

I'm not talking about a overpriced regular charcoal grill. You can buy
a off-brand for about 30 bucks. I'm talking about a "REAL" Weber gas
grill. Entry level for those is probably around $400.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/23kt9ho

To me- a *real* grill uses charcoal, but different strokes, I guess.

The OP said a rust hole through the dome. The only ones I know of
with domes are the charcoal grills. Once they start to rust- they are
near the end of their lives.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jay Hanig wrote in
:

On 5/16/2010 12:13 PM, Ron wrote:
Again, can you buy a Weber at Lowes for under $100.00? It's always
easy to tell someone else to spend money, eh?

Yes, I can get a brand new Weber charcoal kettle type grill from Lowes
for under $100. Actually, I can get a new one from them for less than
$90.

I can't figure out how the Weber top "rusted out".
I thought they were aluminum,and also,the top is domed so water runs off
it. I can see the cooking or coal grids rusting out,but you can buy new
replacements.

Plus,if it's aluminum,you could just pop-rivet a patch onto it.
Aluminum doesn't braze or solder easily. Welding thin aluminum is not
easy,either.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
Jay Hanig wrote in
:

On 5/16/2010 12:13 PM, Ron wrote:
Again, can you buy a Weber at Lowes for under $100.00? It's always
easy to tell someone else to spend money, eh?

Yes, I can get a brand new Weber charcoal kettle type grill from Lowes
for under $100. Actually, I can get a new one from them for less than
$90.

I can't figure out how the Weber top "rusted out".
I thought they were aluminum,and also,the top is domed so water runs off
it. I can see the cooking or coal grids rusting out,but you can buy new
replacements.

Plus,if it's aluminum,you could just pop-rivet a patch onto it.
Aluminum doesn't braze or solder easily. Welding thin aluminum is not
easy,either.

Think about it. A container made of STAMPED aluminum holding a charcoal
fire for several hours? Ever seen an aluminum-sided house after a fire?

Webers are made of enameled steel, much like an old speckled-blue coffee
pot.

I'm no expert in aluminum alloys, but the only heat-contact aluminum
parts I have ever seen were cast or spun, not stamped, and much thicker
and harder than any sheet aluminum I have ever seen.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

I can't figure out how the Weber top "rusted out".
I thought they were aluminum,and also,the top is domed so water runs
off
it. I can see the cooking or coal grids rusting out,but you can buy
new
replacements.

Mine is a ceramic coated steel.
If it was dented/chipped...it would rust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:
Jay Hanig wrote in
:

On 5/16/2010 12:13 PM, Ron wrote:
Again, can you buy a Weber at Lowes for under $100.00? It's always
easy to tell someone else to spend money, eh?

Yes, I can get a brand new Weber charcoal kettle type grill from
Lowes for under $100. Actually, I can get a new one from them for
less than $90.

I can't figure out how the Weber top "rusted out".
I thought they were aluminum,and also,the top is domed so water runs
off it. I can see the cooking or coal grids rusting out,but you can
buy new replacements.

Plus,if it's aluminum,you could just pop-rivet a patch onto it.
Aluminum doesn't braze or solder easily. Welding thin aluminum is not
easy,either.

Think about it. A container made of STAMPED aluminum holding a
charcoal fire for several hours? Ever seen an aluminum-sided house
after a fire?

the DOME (the lid) doesn't hold the hot coals,nor does the bottom of a
Weber;there's a steel grid to hold the coals,so air can circulate from the
bottom and the ash drops off the coals(that's a major feature,BTW).
I've got a similar domed grill with an aluminum domed lid and bottom and it
stays out in the rain,no burnthru. I've had the coal grid rust out.

Heck,most people grill with the lid off anyways.
Maybe he left it off and water puddled in it,on the inside.
That would explain the rust,if it's a steel lid.
Does Weber paint the inside of the lid??

Webers are made of enameled steel, much like an old speckled-blue
coffee pot.

I'm no expert in aluminum alloys, but the only heat-contact aluminum
parts I have ever seen were cast or spun, not stamped, and much
thicker and harder than any sheet aluminum I have ever seen.

except there's no "heat-contact" for a Weber's -lid-.
It's far from the coals.

But,since it's steel,he could make a small patch,and braze it on with a
Bernz-o-matic oxy-MAPP torch. HD sells a torch kit that includes enough
brazing rod to do that small a job. then he could use hi-temp grill paint
to finish it. they also sell sheet steel,although a bit pricy.
Sure,it won't be the porcelainized enamel of the original,but good enough.

I checked,Weber doesn't sell the lid alone.

so,it's patch,live with the hole,or buy a new grill.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Bob Villa, Grillax.com wrote:
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix /

If it was dented/chipped...it would rust.
... This is the problem. Enamel detaches when dented ... then the elements
kill the grill ... slowly, but surely.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...me-441953-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 00:14:02 GMT, Grillax.com
m wrote:

If it was dented/chipped...it would rust.
.. This is the problem. Enamel detaches when dented ... then the elements
kill the grill ... slowly, but surely.

Maybe, not always. Does the dent in the Weber change the intended
function of cooking food?

Thought so!