Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grout or Caulk at shower/tub line?

I am having new ceramic tile installed on my shower/tub surround. The job
is being done well -- with cement backer board etc.

My question is about the 1/8-inch gap between the bottom of the ceramic tile
and the existing cast iron tub. Should that space be filled with grout and
then use 100% silicone caulk, or should there be no grout there and only use
100% silicone caulk?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-05-10, Jay-T Jay-T@noelcvm wrote:

My question is about the 1/8-inch gap between the bottom of the
ceramic tile and the existing cast iron tub. Should that space be
filled with grout and then use 100% silicone caulk, or should there
be no grout there and only use 100% silicone caulk?

Since your tub is cast iron, then grout is an option, and I would
recommend using grout only. I find that grout is much less likely to
mildew there than caulk. It may well crack in a few places over time,
in which case you can fill just the cracks with 100% silicone.

Cheers, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 6:44�pm, "Jay-T" wrote:
I am having new ceramic tile installed on my shower/tub surround. �The job
is being done well -- with cement backer board etc.

My question is about the 1/8-inch gap between the bottom of the ceramic tile
and the existing cast iron tub. �Should that space be filled with grout and
then use 100% silicone caulk, or should there be no grout there and only use
100% silicone caulk?

As there could be movement between the tub & the wall you need
silicone caulk or better still there exists soft plastic "angle piece"
with a fin that goes under the bottom tile and rests on the tub. A
permanent stain resistant solution that never leaks, cracks, comes
unstuck or goes hard.
(At least it exists in the UK. Most of the stuff I see on the net is
about caulk in America. Maybe you don't have it)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-05-10, harry wrote:

better still there exists soft plastic "angle piece" with a fin that
goes under the bottom tile and rests on the tub.

Do you have a link to an example? Sounds like an interesting
solution. Are there still joint in the corners?

Cheers, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-05-10, harry wrote:

better still there exists soft plastic "angle piece" with a fin that
goes under the bottom tile and rests on the tub.

Do you have a link to an example? *Sounds like an interesting
solution. *Are there still joint in the corners?

Cheers, Wayne

Should one fill the tub with water before applying caulk/silicone/
whatever?
I've heard that's good to avoid vertical cracking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-05-10, harry wrote:

better still there exists soft plastic "angle piece" with a fin that
goes under the bottom tile and rests on the tub.

Do you have a link to an example? Sounds like an interesting
solution. Are there still joint in the corners?

Cheers, Wayne

Should one fill the tub with water before applying caulk/silicone/
whatever?
I've heard that's good to avoid vertical cracking.

I didn't, because my tub is adequately supported and doesn't sink more than
an insignificant fraction when filled with water.

For OP: use caulk at the tub/tile transition, and at every wall change of
plane (if tiling the walls). Grout is only used between individual tiles in
the same plane.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:
On May 10, 6:44?pm, "Jay-T" wrote:
I am having new ceramic tile installed on my shower/tub surround.
?The job is being done well -- with cement backer board etc.

My question is about the 1/8-inch gap between the bottom of the
ceramic tile and the existing cast iron tub. ?Should that space be
filled with grout and then use 100% silicone caulk, or should there
be no grout there and only use 100% silicone caulk?

As there could be movement between the tub & the wall you need
silicone caulk or better still there exists soft plastic "angle piece"
with a fin that goes under the bottom tile and rests on the tub. A
permanent stain resistant solution that never leaks, cracks, comes
unstuck or goes hard.
(At least it exists in the UK. Most of the stuff I see on the net is
about caulk in America. Maybe you don't have it)

Thanks. Maybe the "angle piece" is a UK thing. I found this YouTube video
that I think shows what you are referring to at about the 1:24 minute point
in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J-mPhNlyBo

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-05-10, harry wrote:

better still there exists soft plastic "angle piece" with a fin that
goes under the bottom tile and rests on the tub.

Do you have a link to an example? �Sounds like an interesting
solution. �Are there still joint in the corners?

Cheers, Wayne

You need to mitre the corners. I have had the stuff on my baths &
showers for years but I can't find a link on the net. It's available
everywhere here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jay-T wrote:
I am having new ceramic tile installed on my shower/tub surround. The job
is being done well -- with cement backer board etc.

My question is about the 1/8-inch gap between the bottom of the ceramic tile
and the existing cast iron tub. Should that space be filled with grout and
then use 100% silicone caulk, or should there be no grout there and only use
100% silicone caulk?

I've lived with all types of tub/wall seals and they were all crap but
for silicone caulk. If caulk is applied to an absolutely clean surface,
put on smooth, it won't have mildew problems. If there is soap buildup
or poor ventilation, it will get mildewy. Scrubbing Bubbles is great
for cleaning tile/tubs.

Corners where wall meets wall, floor or tub should be able to FLEX. The
thing about filling a tub prior to caulking is, I think, an urban
legend.....looks good on paper ) If the tub moves, there is more of a
problem than caulk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 3:04*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

Should one fill the tub with water before applying caulk/silicone/
whatever?
I've heard that's good to avoid vertical cracking.

I didn't, because my tub is adequately supported and doesn't sink more than
an insignificant fraction when filled with water.

It's SOP, at the "professional" level of the trade, as is dampening
the joints, as is making sure the tub/wall joint is full by using a
finger.

For OP: use caulk at the tub/tile transition, and at every wall change of
plane (if tiling the walls). *Grout is only used between individual tiles in
the same plane.

Not by anyone I ever heard of.

I've examined 3 walls over the tub tiled 1930-60 still sound as the
day after they were grouted.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 8:23�pm, "Jay-T" wrote:
harry wrote:
On May 10, 6:44?pm, "Jay-T" wrote:
[...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J-mPhNlyBo- Hide quoted text -

Yep, that's the stuff. You can't beat it. Easy to clean and you
never have the cracking/gaps appearing problem. Looks neat and comes
in lots of colours. Nobody uses grout or "caulk" over here any more.
The flange that rests on the tub is soft and pliable and fits the bath
tub contours exactly.
Caulk is old hat. Hey, maybe there's an angle if you don't have it!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
m...
Jay-T wrote:
[...]

I've never heard of that either. Any movement would be takin care of by the
caulk.

To the OP: Caulk around the tub and in the corners of the wall if tiled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 5:13*pm, "JimT" wrote:
wrote in message

m...

Jay-T wrote:
[...]

Yes, anywhere two planes or dissimilar materials meet. Tile stores
(not home centers) have caulk, sanded and un-sanded, that will match
the grout closely.