Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pressure washer oil leak?

I have a 5HP sears pressure washer with briggs and stratton engine that is
leaking oil. This engine has no oil filter or oil drain plug. To change oil
I tilt it on its side to drain the oil out and put new oil back in that
filer hole, so it's not like there's a loose plug or filter.
Furthermore I can't really tell where the oil is leaking from. There is oil
all around the engine and it leaks very slowly -- a few drops per day.

I wonder if this is a blown head gasket. If it is, how hard it is to repair
it myself, or how much would it cost to have it repaired?

I see several options:
-try to replace the gasket
-put new and thick oil in before each use (twice each year). Previously I
use synthetic 10w40 left over from car oil change.
-buy a new washer

Any advice?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-05-06, james wrote:

I see several options:
-try to replace the gasket
-put new and thick oil in before each use (twice each year). Previously I
use synthetic 10w40 left over from car oil change.
-buy a new washer

Any advice?

First, use the cleaner to wash the engine, if it will stay running.
Let it get up to operating temperature, then shut it down and dry
entire engine with rags. Wait a few days and carefully look for leak.

Why do you use old oil? If it's too dirty for your car, it's
certainly no good for your B/S engine.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 1:28*pm, "james" wrote:
I have a 5HP sears pressure washer with briggs and stratton engine that is
leaking oil. This engine has no oil filter or oil drain plug. To change oil
I tilt it on its side to drain the oil out and put new oil back in that
filer hole, so it's not like there's a loose plug or filter.
Furthermore I can't really tell where the oil is leaking from. There is oil
all around the engine and it leaks very slowly -- a few drops per day.

I wonder if this is a blown head gasket. If it is, how hard it is to repair
it myself, or how much would it cost to have it repaired?

I see several options:
-try to replace the gasket
-put new and thick oil in before each use (twice each year). Previously I
use synthetic 10w40 left over from car oil change.
-buy a new washer

Any advice?

You use old car oil, thats a good one. You put crapped up, worn out
oil, in a motor that only probably has a 3-500 hour life with good new
oil. Since its real life span is so small on the B&S it really need
new oil, as it doesnt even have a filter. How many miles were on the
car oil, and was that city driving?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 May 2010 11:28:43 -0700, "james" wrote:

I wonder if this is a blown head gasket. If it is, how hard it is to repair
it myself, or how much would it cost to have it repaired?

I doubt the engine would even run with a blown head gasket on a B&S
engine.

Tighten the head bolts, if anything..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-05-06, james wrote:

I see several options:
-try to replace the gasket
-put new and thick oil in before each use (twice each year). Previously I
use synthetic 10w40 left over from car oil change.
-buy a new washer

Any advice?

First, use the cleaner to wash the engine, if it will stay running.
Let it get up to operating temperature, then shut it down and dry
entire engine with rags. Wait a few days and carefully look for leak.

Probably from the crankshaft bearing seal where the pump is connected
and it's not visible. Unlikely to be a head gasket.

Why do you use old oil? If it's too dirty for your car, it's
certainly no good for your B/S engine.

Where do you get the idea he used old oil? He said he used 10w40
synthetic leftover from a car oil change i.e. used 4.5 qts in car, had
..5qt leftover for the pressure washer engine.

As for the oil itself, I use M1 5w30 synthetic in all my gas engines
from the truck to the lawn mower and have no issues.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-05-06, Pete C. wrote:

synthetic leftover from a car oil change i.e. used 4.5 qts in car, had
.5qt leftover for the pressure washer engine.

geezer moment
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-05-06, Pete C. wrote:

synthetic leftover from a car oil change i.e. used 4.5 qts in car, had
.5qt leftover for the pressure washer engine.

geezer moment
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-05-06, Pete C. wrote:

synthetic leftover from a car oil change i.e. used 4.5 qts in car, had
.5qt leftover for the pressure washer engine.

geezer moment

I have those myself from time to time. It sucks being old and
decrepit...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On the side of the motor is the crank case breather.
Typically rectangular, and holds on with two bolts (probably
need 5/16 nut setter to get the small bolts out). The
breather sometimes has a tube that goes to the carb.

What happens, is that when the piston goes down, it creates
a tiny bit of pressure in the crankcase. So, they put a
breather (one way valve) on. So air can go out, but not in.
The crankcase runs at a very slight negative pressure.

These sometimes get clogged, and then the pressure from the
piston forces oil out. When you take the crankcase breather
off, it will expose the valve springs and ends of the valve
rods. These can sometimes be cleaned by soaking in kerosene,
or similar solvent.

There is a crankcase gasket which can be leaking. I've never
paid to have one replaced. Is it enough oil to mess up the
customer's driveway, or some other problem?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"james" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have an oil leak same as first poster, a very slow lead. I found it was coming from one of the screws securing the pump to the motor

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was also wondering why they're bashing him for using USED oil when he clearly said LEFT OVER oil! Not the sharpest tools in the shed, but are super quick to point the finger at someone else. Incredible!

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ak-440668-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the pump is leaking the oil you want to use 30W non-detergent oil. Regular engine oil will foam up in a pump. The same is true with air compressors.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ak-440668-.htm