DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Animal repellent- squirrel and cat (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/302090-animal-repellent-squirrel-cat.html)

Elliot April 26th 10 02:52 AM

Animal repellent- squirrel and cat

Hello there,

My mother has some flowers in pots and the squirrels love to dig in
them. We've put cayenne pepper on the soil but that doesn't seem to work.
Lowe's Hardware carries a product called "Deer Off" Ready to Spray Deer
Off Deer, Rabbit & Squirrel Repellent.
I was wondering if that would work. I tried a water scarecrow(motion
detection) but that got everything wet that came into the area including
people.

Thanks,
Elliot

Steve B[_10_] April 26th 10 03:24 AM

"Elliot" wrote in message
Hello there,

My mother has some flowers in pots and the squirrels love to dig in them.
We've put cayenne pepper on the soil but that doesn't seem to work.
Lowe's Hardware carries a product called "Deer Off" Ready to Spray Deer
Off Deer, Rabbit & Squirrel Repellent.
I was wondering if that would work. I tried a water scarecrow(motion
detection) but that got everything wet that came into the area including
people.

Thanks,
Elliot

There is a motion sensing water sprayer that works pretty good.

Steve

http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Elliot April 26th 10 02:46 PM

On 4/25/2010 9:24 PM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
Hello there,

My mother has some flowers in pots and the squirrels love to dig in them.
We've put cayenne pepper on the soil but that doesn't seem to work.
Lowe's Hardware carries a product called "Deer Off" Ready to Spray Deer
Off Deer, Rabbit& Squirrel Repellent.
I was wondering if that would work. I tried a water scarecrow(motion
detection) but that got everything wet that came into the area including
people.

Thanks,
Elliot

There is a motion sensing water sprayer that works pretty good.

Steve

http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Thanks for the advice but the "Water Scarecrow" I tried would spray the
area with water if the area was intruded...got everything wet including
people
Elliot

jamesgangnc[_3_] April 26th 10 03:37 PM

On Apr 25, 9:52*pm, Elliot wrote:
Hello there,

My mother has some flowers in pots and the squirrels love to dig in
them. *We've put cayenne pepper on the soil but that doesn't seem to work.
Lowe's Hardware carries a product called "Deer Off" Ready to Spray Deer
Off *Deer, Rabbit & Squirrel Repellent.
I was wondering if that would work. *I tried a water scarecrow(motion
detection) but that got everything wet that came into the area including
people.

Thanks,
Elliot

The deer off might work. Probably won't work on the cat. I think
most of those things try to simulate the scent of a kill. Some are
made with dried blood or eggs. Prey animals will stay away from a
kill.

Steve B[_10_] April 26th 10 04:31 PM

"Elliot" wrote in message
Hello there,

My mother has some flowers in pots and the squirrels love to dig in them.
We've put cayenne pepper on the soil but that doesn't seem to work.
Lowe's Hardware carries a product called "Deer Off" Ready to Spray Deer
Off Deer, Rabbit & Squirrel Repellent.
I was wondering if that would work. I tried a water scarecrow(motion
detection) but that got everything wet that came into the area including
people.

Thanks,
Elliot

Maybe an ultrasonic? I have a battery operated one, and it sure gets the
dog's attention. I carry it when doing real estate work, and it works great
on some dogs, and others either can't hear it or doesn't have any effect.
I'm sure they make them motion sensitive.

Steve

http://cabgbypasssurgery.com book coming soon

Higgs Boson[_2_] April 26th 10 04:46 PM

On Apr 26, 8:31*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Elliot" wrote in message

[...]

A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult..

You might try moth balls. I put them in newly seeded areas where my
(or the neighbor's)
cat loves to dig. Keeps them off. Also hung moth balls over the cat
door to keep the
possums and 'coons out. Don't put too close to plants.

Steve B[_10_] April 26th 10 07:46 PM

Animal repellent- squirrel and cat

"Higgs Boson" wrote

You might try moth balls. I put them in newly seeded areas where my
(or the neighbor's)
cat loves to dig. Keeps them off. Also hung moth balls over the cat
door to keep the
possums and 'coons out. Don't put too close to plants.

Don't start with mothballs. We got chipmunks in our walls at our cabin. I
went up and put sheet metal over the holes in the mid afternoon,
guaranteeing that they would be out to lunch. SWMBO insisted on a hefty
dose of mothballs. Sorry, I meant to say HEFTY. That has been three years.

We are going there (or attempting it) tomorrow, I bet the first thing I
smell on entry is mothballs. Just how long does it take for them to go
away? It would be a serious job to remove the siding and access all those
mothballs.

Steve

http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for the book

Steve B[_10_] April 26th 10 07:50 PM

Animal repellent- squirrel and cat

"ransley" wrote

I use rocks

reply: I'm too slow. By the time I get out there, they're up in the tree
laughing at me and dropping "stuff".

So, then we escalate and bring out the artillery. We have a huge problem
here with the huge rock squirrels. They will strip a complete apricot tree
in a couple of hours, only taking the seeds, and leaving the meat on the
ground. Almonds the same. AND, they are smart, waiting until just the peak
of ripeness.

Am making some 55 gal. water traps with a trap door which should be fairly
effective. They are very spooky, and zip off at first glance of a human.

Steve B[_10_] April 26th 10 09:23 PM

"ransley" wrote in message
On Apr 26, 1:50 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"ransley" wrote

I use rocks

reply: I'm too slow. By the time I get out there, they're up in the tree
laughing at me and dropping "stuff".

So, then we escalate and bring out the artillery. We have a huge problem
here with the huge rock squirrels. They will strip a complete apricot tree
in a couple of hours, only taking the seeds, and leaving the meat on the
ground. Almonds the same. AND, they are smart, waiting until just the peak
of ripeness.

Am making some 55 gal. water traps with a trap door which should be fairly
effective. They are very spooky, and zip off at first glance of a human.

I meant rocks around the plants so they dont dig, the squirrels get
the peanuts and extra bird food.

REPLY:

Our local rock squirrels are called that for a reason.

http://www.desertusa.com/animals/rock_squirrel.html

They make their homes in rocky canyons by eating their way in. they cut
their teeth on rocks.

Andy April 26th 10 11:20 PM

On Apr 26, 8:46 am, Elliot wrote:

Thanks for the advice but the "Water Scarecrow" I tried would spray the
area with water if the area was intruded...got everything wet including
people
Elliot

Andy comments:

I have a Henry rifle with a scope that works really well. However,
live in the country, and it might not be a good idea for downtown.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

The Daring Dufas[_6_] April 27th 10 05:17 AM

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Apr 26, 8:31 am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Elliot" wrote in message

[...]

How do you get the moth to hold still while you collect his balls?

TDD

The Daring Dufas[_6_] April 27th 10 05:21 AM

Steve B wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message
On Apr 26, 1:50 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

That squirrel sounded just like a squeaky toy.

TDD