Posted to alt.home.repair

Default totally OT

This is waaaaaaay off topic, but I have a question for
those who may be in the know. We were talking about a
recent auction in our area. (central US ) A gentleman
from from England bought an old antique tractor, not
running. How much would it cost to transport a non-
running tractor to the coast, and then overseas to
England? some people have waaaaaay too much money.
thanks in advance

Posted to alt.home.repair

nefletch wrote:
This is waaaaaaay off topic, but I have a question for
those who may be in the know. We were talking about a
recent auction in our area. (central US ) A gentleman
from from England bought an old antique tractor, not
running. How much would it cost to transport a non-
running tractor to the coast, and then overseas to
England? some people have waaaaaay too much money.
thanks in advance

Any idea of the make and model of tractor?
The older tractors generally weren't that big. Hauling
a steamer would be another matter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

nefletch wrote:
This is waaaaaaay off topic, but I have a question for
those who may be in the know. We were talking about a
recent auction in our area. (central US ) A gentleman
from from England bought an old antique tractor, not
running. How much would it cost to transport a non-
running tractor to the coast, and then overseas to
England? some people have waaaaaay too much money.
thanks in advance

After it's packaged, figure $6/100 pounds to get it from Missouri to an
east-coast port. Less than that to get it to the UK. Say it weighs two tons.
$240 to get it to Norfolk, VA, another couple hundred to get it to England.
From Portsmouth I guess he can drive it home.

These rates are from years ago and may have doubled or tripled since. But
they won't be magnitudes greater.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 19:03:14 -0700, "nefletch" wrote:

This is waaaaaaay off topic, but I have a question for
those who may be in the know. We were talking about a
recent auction in our area. (central US ) A gentleman
from from England bought an old antique tractor, not
running. How much would it cost to transport a non-
running tractor to the coast, and then overseas to
England? some people have waaaaaay too much money.
thanks in advance

It's much more than transporting a running tractor, which you can
drive to Newfoundland and then to England.

You can even plow along the way to defray expenses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

nefletch wrote:
This is waaaaaaay off topic, but I have a question for
those who may be in the know. We were talking about a
recent auction in our area. (central US ) A gentleman
from from England bought an old antique tractor, not
running. How much would it cost to transport a non-
running tractor to the coast, and then overseas to
England? some people have waaaaaay too much money.
thanks in advance

I think semis with flatbeds run about $2.50 per loaded mile but I
could be way off. Livestock haulers get around $3.00, I guess.
I'd want an enclosed trailer for the million dollar tractor though.
There is a million dollar tractor he
http://tinyurl.com/yj9cj6f The article is over 5 years old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 19:03:14 -0700, "nefletch" wrote:

This is waaaaaaay off topic, but I have a question for
those who may be in the know. We were talking about a
recent auction in our area. (central US ) A gentleman
from from England bought an old antique tractor, not
running. How much would it cost to transport a non-
running tractor to the coast, and then overseas to
England? some people have waaaaaay too much money.
thanks in advance

It cost the same with a tractor that doesn't run as it would for a
tractor that does run, unless you plan on driving the tractor to the
coast.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 8:03*pm, "nefletch" wrote:
This is waaaaaaay off topic, but I have a question for
those who may be in the know. *We were talking about a
recent auction in our area. (central *US ) *A gentleman
from from England bought an old antique tractor, not
running. *How much would it cost to transport a non-
running tractor to the coast, and then overseas to
England? some people have waaaaaay too much money.
thanks in advance

Its not that much, the US exports loads of industrial equipment and we
import loads of cars and heavy equipment, its an antique probably a
good investment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

nefletch wrote:
This is waaaaaaay off topic, but I have a question for
those who may be in the know. We were talking about a
recent auction in our area. (central US ) A gentleman
from from England bought an old antique tractor, not
running. How much would it cost to transport a non-
running tractor to the coast, and then overseas to
England? some people have waaaaaay too much money.
thanks in advance

When I worked overseas 20 years ago, our supply guy told me
that the company was charged shipping per container no matter
how much it weighed or what, besides hazardous material, was
in it. I imagine that after trucking the tractor to an Eastern
port, it could be loaded into a container for a sea voyage. In
fact, it could be shipped all the way in a container, truck to
cargo ship without exposure to the elements. A 20' container
shipped from The US to The UK would probably cost a few thousand
dollars. This is a guess based on a little web searching.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

A friend of mine bought a tractor, used. Drove it home
(summer time) and it ran about 15 MPH on the open road, in
road gear.

This case, it would have to be loaded onto a trailer. As to
the oveseas shipping, no idea where to start looking.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message

It's much more than transporting a running tractor, which
you can
drive to Newfoundland and then to England.

You can even plow along the way to defray expenses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 9:45*am, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
On 02/02/2010 09:03 PM, nefletch wrote: This is waaaaaaay off topic, but I have a question for
those who may be in the know. *We were talking about a
recent auction in our area. (central *US ) *A gentleman
from from England bought an old antique tractor, not
running. *How much would it cost to transport a non-
running tractor to the coast, and then overseas to
England? some people have waaaaaay too much money.
thanks in advance

GI's send cars across the pond all the time. That tractor isn't much
heavier than a car or suv.

"GI's send cars across the pond all the time."

I had a GI friend whose orders were taking him from CA to NY. They
would pay for his plane ticket and ship his household belongings, but
they wouldn't ship his car.

He put the numbers together and showed them that it would be cheaper
to let him move himself. They accepted his numbers and authorized the
move.

He rented a fairly large truck, filled his car to max, loaded the car
*into the truck* and then packed the rest of his household belongings
around it.

In the end, the Army paid to move everything.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:

"GI's send cars across the pond all the time."

He rented a fairly large truck, filled his car to max, loaded the car
*into the truck* and then packed the rest of his household belongings
around it.

In the end, the Army paid to move everything.

Suspect driving the truck containing the tractor from US to UK will
prove interesting in this case...

Cost me (well, actually seller as was part of the deal) $800 to ship a
12000# 40-ft boom lift from Chicago area to SW KS about 6 years ago.
How much difference for the less weight and assuming also split load no
clue altho I'd thing fuel surcharges now vs then would probably make up
a chunk of it anyway...

Also no real clue about the cost of overseas. If don't care how long it
takes, probably not terribly expensive but if spent kind of $$ already
OP implies, probably going to want to make sure it goes in a protected
manner (which equates to $$)...

WAG of $2-5K range...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 19:03:14 -0700, nefletch wrote:

This is waaaaaaay off topic, but I have a question for
those who may be in the know. We were talking about a
recent auction in our area. (central US ) A gentleman
from from England bought an old antique tractor, not
running. How much would it cost to transport a non-
running tractor to the coast, and then overseas to
England? some people have waaaaaay too much money.
thanks in advance

I still need to do things the other direction, and bring a bunch of
stuff over from the UK - I talked to a few shipping companies and they
all wanted about $3000 for it (but that included pickup at the storage
site in the UK and drop-off to where I wanted in the US). This wasn't for
a huge amount of stuff, maybe 1/3 of a 40' shipping container, but there
are lots of heavy things.

I suspect there might be easier routes if moving a single item such as a
vehicle, though.

(I'd heard before that some companies go by weight, others by volume - but
when I looked around it seemed to all be done on weight alone these days)

cheers

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nefletch" wrote in
scommunications:

no idea, except that it was very old, and very rare. the
rumor is that he paid close to a million for it.

heh...if you can drop a million then who cares about shipping cost?

must be nice...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 1:12*pm, kpg wrote:
"nefletch" wrote iuscommunications:

no idea, except that it was very old, and very rare. *the
rumor is that he paid close to a million for it.

heh...if you can drop a million then who cares about shipping cost?

must be nice...

"if you can drop a million then who cares about shipping cost?"

Ya know, I've heard this argument before and it just dosen't make
sense to me.

Just because a person spent some given amount on an item, I don't see
how that says anything about the availability of other funds.

If I go out and buy a Rolls Royce, does that automatically mean I can
afford a driver for it - or even the gas?

If I buy a water front mansion, does that automatically mean I can
afford to furnish it?

Spending $1MM on a tractor doesn't mean the person has unlimited
assets.

My other favorite is:

"If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

BS! *I* have to ask because I want to know if I am spending my money
wisely. Just because the price is high doesn't mean it is (or isn't) a
good *value*. That's why I'd ask before just handing over a blank
check for anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

"if you can drop a million then who cares about shipping cost?"

Ya know, I've heard this argument before and it just dosen't make
sense to me.

I get your point but...I spend a million on an antique tractor, not
exactly a necessity item, so I have at least a million dollars at my
disposal. Shipping is a consideration, but even if it cost $10,000 to
ship, compared to a million that only 1% of the cost...not to bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 3, 1:12 pm, kpg wrote:
"nefletch" wrote
iuscommunications:

no idea, except that it was very old, and very rare. the
rumor is that he paid close to a million for it.

heh...if you can drop a million then who cares about shipping cost?

must be nice...

"if you can drop a million then who cares about shipping cost?"

Ya know, I've heard this argument before and it just dosen't make
sense to me.

Just because a person spent some given amount on an item, I don't see
how that says anything about the availability of other funds.

If I go out and buy a Rolls Royce, does that automatically mean I can
afford a driver for it - or even the gas?

If I buy a water front mansion, does that automatically mean I can
afford to furnish it?

The standard answer - If you have to ask, you can't afford it (and you shouldn't
buy it).

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 06:20:18 -0330, "don &/or Lucille"
wrote:

I'm shocked you know Newfoundland

I even know of Prince Edward Island.

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 19:03:14 -0700, "nefletch" wrote:

This is waaaaaaay off topic, but I have a question for
those who may be in the know. We were talking about a
recent auction in our area. (central US ) A gentleman
from from England bought an old antique tractor, not
running. How much would it cost to transport a non-
running tractor to the coast, and then overseas to
England? some people have waaaaaay too much money.
thanks in advance

It's much more than transporting a running tractor, which you can
drive to Newfoundland and then to England.

You can even plow along the way to defray expenses.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 09:11:36 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

A friend of mine bought a tractor, used. Drove it home
(summer time) and it ran about 15 MPH on the open road, in
road gear.

This case, it would have to be loaded onto a trailer. As to
the oveseas shipping, no idea where to start looking.

When I needed to send personal possessions to a friend who had moved
to Geneva, I made a lot of phone calls, but i could have just gone to
the airport, door to door at the freight terminal to find someone who
flew there. They took all the boxes, put tthem on a 6'x6' pallette
and wrapped them in saran wrap. They would even have picked all 31
boxes up for 10 dollars, they said.

Later when I wanted to do something similar I went to hair port, but
after 9-11, the only way to ship was by going through fed-ex or UPS or
the post office, or be a company with an ongoing relationship. No
driving up to an intenational air shipper anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 4:45*pm, kpg wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote :

"if you can drop a million then who cares about shipping cost?"

Ya know, I've heard this argument before and it just dosen't make
sense to me.

I get your point but...I spend a million on an antique tractor, not
exactly a necessity item, so I have at least a million dollars at my
disposal. *Shipping is a consideration, but even if it cost $10,000 to
ship, compared to a million that only 1% of the cost...not to bad.

"compared to a million that only 1% of the cost...not to bad."

Unless I only had $1,010,000.

Then it's 100% of what I have left.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 10:39:02 -0600, Jules
wrote:

I still need to do things the other direction, and bring a bunch of
stuff over from the UK - I talked to a few shipping companies and they
all wanted about $3000 for it (but that included pickup at the storage
site in the UK and drop-off to where I wanted in the US). This wasn't for
a huge amount of stuff, maybe 1/3 of a 40' shipping container, but there
are lots of heavy things.

I suspect there might be easier routes if moving a single item such as a
vehicle, though.

(I'd heard before that some companies go by weight, others by volume - but
when I looked around it seemed to all be done on weight alone these days)

cheers

Jules

This is a local guy I met (Las Vegas). It is his business that he
built from scratch.

Not to be mistaken for Bangladeshi movers.

http://www.cratersandfreighters.com/cf/home.do

"Ocean Cargo" - figure the port?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 20:57:58 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

nefletch wrote:
This is waaaaaaay off topic, but I have a question for
those who may be in the know. We were talking about a
recent auction in our area. (central US ) A gentleman
from from England bought an old antique tractor, not
running. How much would it cost to transport a non-
running tractor to the coast, and then overseas to
England? some people have waaaaaay too much money.
thanks in advance

After it's packaged, figure $6/100 pounds to get it from Missouri to an
east-coast port. Less than that to get it to the UK. Say it weighs two tons.
$240 to get it to Norfolk, VA, another couple hundred to get it to England.
From Portsmouth I guess he can drive it home.

These rates are from years ago and may have doubled or tripled since. But
they won't be magnitudes greater.

On a million dollar tractor? Peanuts

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 23:07:25 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 19:03:14 -0700, "nefletch" wrote:

This is waaaaaaay off topic, but I have a question for
those who may be in the know. We were talking about a
recent auction in our area. (central US ) A gentleman
from from England bought an old antique tractor, not
running. How much would it cost to transport a non-
running tractor to the coast, and then overseas to
England? some people have waaaaaay too much money.
thanks in advance

It cost the same with a tractor that doesn't run as it would for a
tractor that does run, unless you plan on driving the tractor to the
coast.

Which would quite possibly cost more than shipping it, taking
accomodation into account.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"kpg" wrote in message
47...
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

"if you can drop a million then who cares about shipping cost?"

Ya know, I've heard this argument before and it just dosen't make
sense to me.

I get your point but...I spend a million on an antique tractor, not
exactly a necessity item, so I have at least a million dollars at my
disposal. Shipping is a consideration, but even if it cost $10,000 to
ship, compared to a million that only 1% of the cost...not to bad.

Do you ever watch Jackson/Barrett car auctions? There are people to whom a
million dollars is nothing. Nor is paying $300,000 for a charity auction
car. Nor is it selling a car that cost $100,000 to restore for $70,000.
The auction gets 10% on top of the selling price, and then there are sales
taxes and all sorts of fees and stuff that can easily raise the price 15%.
They show their name tag and sign their purchase contract, and have another
sip of cognac.

I have tickets for the $140,000 million PowerBall tonight. If I hit it, I
think I just might be tempted to go out and make some "irrational"
purchases. Nothing in the high dollar variety, but with what I'd end up
with after taxes, I'd have a lot for low dollar items, that being $25,000
and the like.

First would be some extensive remodeling. I really like where I live, and
would not consider moving. However, a seasonal house in Kauai would not be
out of the question.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

kpg wrote in news:Xns9D1492DA9B3C7ipostthereforeiam@
69.16.185.247:

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

"if you can drop a million then who cares about shipping cost?"

Ya know, I've heard this argument before and it just dosen't make
sense to me.

I get your point but...I spend a million on an antique tractor, not
exactly a necessity item, so I have at least a million dollars at my
disposal. Shipping is a consideration, but even if it cost $10,000 to
ship, compared to a million that only 1% of the cost...not to bad.

why do I keep saying this?

OT mostly, but not totally Leon Woodworking 20 January 28th 09 12:22 AM
Totally new to DIY John UK diy 3 April 20th 06 09:47 PM
O.T. (totally, but don't know who else to ask!) Limey Lurker Woodworking 16 September 29th 05 09:14 PM
Not totally OT John UK diy 5 July 17th 03 11:23 PM