HEPA filter for furnace floor vent?

Old February 10th 10, 06:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default HEPA filter for furnace floor vent?

Has anyone seen pleated HEPA filter that fit into floor register vent?

I froogled but no luck. Maybe nobody makes such product.

The closest I found are sheets filters like this:
http://www.webproducts.com/Detail.bok?no=31

What I need is HEPA that filters not just dust but finer particles that
causes allergy that somehow got into the HVAC ducts. There is a furnace
filter at the intake duct but that does not help remove particles coming out
of the vents.

Of all the different hepa filters made in this world (some for vacuum
cleaners, some for air purifiers, etc), perhaps there is one that happens to
fit in a 3 7/8 inch x 11 5/8 inch rectangular space (inside dimension of a
vent register)?

Any ideas?

Old February 10th 10, 06:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 11:12*am, "james" wrote:
Has anyone seen pleated HEPA filter that fit into floor register vent?

I froogled but no luck. Maybe nobody makes such product.

The closest I found are sheets filters like this:http://www.webproducts.com/Detail.bok?no=31

What I need is HEPA that filters not just dust but finer particles that
causes allergy that somehow got into the HVAC ducts. There is a furnace
filter at the intake duct but that does not help remove particles coming out
of the vents.

Of all the different hepa filters made in this world (some for vacuum
cleaners, some for air purifiers, etc), perhaps there is one that happens to
fit in a 3 7/8 inch x 11 5/8 inch rectangular space (inside dimension of a
vent register)?

Any ideas?

You would severely restrict airflow, restricting airflow to much and
the temp of the heat exchanger can easily go above the design limit
your manual states and kill its life. Even shutting down a few
registers can raise temps to much. What kind of filter do you have,
the 4" Air Bear is well designed. Dust isnt made from the furnace it
comes from your lifestyle.
Old February 10th 10, 07:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair

james wrote:

Has anyone seen pleated HEPA filter that fit into floor register vent?

I froogled but no luck. Maybe nobody makes such product.

The closest I found are sheets filters like this:
http://www.webproducts.com/Detail.bok?no=31

What I need is HEPA that filters not just dust but finer particles that
causes allergy that somehow got into the HVAC ducts. There is a furnace
filter at the intake duct but that does not help remove particles coming out
of the vents.

Of all the different hepa filters made in this world (some for vacuum
cleaners, some for air purifiers, etc), perhaps there is one that happens to
fit in a 3 7/8 inch x 11 5/8 inch rectangular space (inside dimension of a
vent register)?

Any ideas?

If there is noticeable particulate coming out despite having a good
filter on the intake for a reasonable amount of time, you likely have a
leak somewhere in the return ducting that is allowing dust to come in
and bypass the intake filter. This will also clog up your A/C "A" coil
if applicable as well as reducing the efficiency of your heat exchanger.
Old February 11th 10, 02:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

james wrote:

[...]

Hi,
How can a return air bypass intake filter whether leaking or not? Filter
is right at the base of furnace?????
Old February 11th 10, 02:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

james wrote:

[...]

In some installations the filter is right at the base of the furnace,
but in a lot of installations the filter is remoted to the intake
register where it is easier to service.
Old January 27th 12, 05:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/26/2012 4:27 PM, Gravedouger wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...nt-424415-.htm
Gravedouger wrote:
Well i have an idea if all the air goes through one filter take out the
furnace filter and put the register filters in then the air is all going
through one filter again.I'm sure an Engineer would disagree but i live
alone got and old furnace and i ain't skeered lol i'll try it if it blows
it blows what a ride!
ransley wrote:

On Feb 10, 11:12=A0am,
wrote:
Has anyone seen pleated HEPA filter that fit into floor register
vent?

I froogled but no luck. Maybe nobody makes such product.

The closest I found are sheets filters like
this:http://www.webproducts.c=

om/Detail.bok?no=3D31

[...]

-------------------------------------

The filter will so take out the particles coming from the hot air ducts.
Just takes a while!

We moved into our older triple wide mfg home about 5 years ago. A few
months later I developed an allergy to something in the master bedroom.
Drove me crazy from about 1am to 4am. Many nights I had to get up and
try to sleep in a recliner in the family room.

We cleaned and washed everything. Even got a big HEPA fan/air filter
from Home Depot and ran it in the bed room night and day for 2 months.
Nothing helped.

Last winter I decided there was still one more thing to try. I bought
three new filters for the inside part of our heat pump that were
designed to filter the very finest dust particles. These are 2 inches
thick, rather than the 1 inch filters normally used.

The new filter didn't help a bit. Then after three weeks, I realized I
was not having allergic reactions at night, anymore. I used to take a
Benedril every evening before bed and sometimes a second one about 4am.

Now, I am free of the allergy! I replaced the first filter with a second
one, assuming it had collected most of the bad particles. Still no allergy.

So, do the furnace filter change, but realize it will need 3-4 weeks to
remove enough particles for you to notice. They REALLY do work!

We have had almost no precipitation until the last week or so. Several
weeks ago we had a really strong wind storm that lasted several days.
the wind whipped up clouds of dust. We live in the high desert of
Central Oregon. The allergy started up again, but never got bad and was
gone again two days after a rain storm settled the dust. I am sold on
the filters!

Paul
Old March 3rd 12, 10:53 PM
Junior Member

I have sever dust allergies and I got the air ducts cleaned in my house. This seemed to help a lot and I noticed that my furnace filter isn't as dirty after 3 months like it used to be. You could also get an air purifier that will have a HEPA filter to clean the air. They make these for individual rooms or whole-house ones.