Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulation in interior wall around shower stall - why?

The continuing saga of me and my broken plastic pipe and shower valve
lol...

So I am removing the sheetrock in pieces small enough that I can put them
back with minimal patchwork when I'm done - hopefully. As I open up the
wall behind the shower stall, I find that it is stuffed full of insulation.
Is this normal, typical, or even expected? Is there any reason to put
insulation in an interior wall simply because there is a shower stall on
the other side?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in
:

Zootal wrote:
The continuing saga of me and my broken plastic pipe and shower valve
lol...

So I am removing the sheetrock in pieces small enough that I can put
them back with minimal patchwork when I'm done - hopefully. As I open
up the wall behind the shower stall, I find that it is stuffed full
of insulation. Is this normal, typical, or even expected? Is there
any reason to put insulation in an interior wall simply because there
is a shower stall on the other side?

Hi,
Sound proofing?

Not sure - the other side of a wall is another bathroom, so sound proofing
might not be that critical.

Maybe a question I should ask is: is there any reason to put the insulation
back when I'm done?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Zootal wrote:
The continuing saga of me and my broken plastic pipe and shower valve
lol...

So I am removing the sheetrock in pieces small enough that I can put them
back with minimal patchwork when I'm done - hopefully. As I open up the
wall behind the shower stall, I find that it is stuffed full of insulation.
Is this normal, typical, or even expected? Is there any reason to put
insulation in an interior wall simply because there is a shower stall on
the other side?

Probably for sound proofing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Zootal" wrote in message
. As I open up the
wall behind the shower stall, I find that it is stuffed full of
insulation.
Is this normal, typical, or even expected? Is there any reason to put
insulation in an interior wall simply because there is a shower stall on
the other side?

Nose reduction. Better contractors do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Zootal" wrote in message
. As I open up the
wall behind the shower stall, I find that it is stuffed full of
insulation.
Is this normal, typical, or even expected? Is there any reason to put
insulation in an interior wall simply because there is a shower stall on
the other side?

Nose reduction. Better contractors do it.

It also helps keep the shower wall from feeling ice-cold when you lean
your bare butt against it. The first 30 seconds of hot shower water
warms up the surface pretty well, and having insulation behind it keeps
that heat from dissipating as fast. It makes a real big difference when
you insulate around soaking tubs, as well.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Zootal" wrote in message
. As I open up the
wall behind the shower stall, I find that it is stuffed full of
insulation.
Is this normal, typical, or even expected? Is there any reason to
put insulation in an interior wall simply because there is a shower
stall on the other side?

Nose reduction. Better contractors do it.

It also helps keep the shower wall from feeling ice-cold when you
lean your bare butt against it. The first 30 seconds of hot shower
water warms up the surface pretty well, and having insulation behind
it keeps that heat from dissipating as fast. It makes a real big
difference when you insulate around soaking tubs, as well.

--
aem sends...

I can *totally* relate to that :-0. That alone is a good reason to put it
back when I'm done
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd be concerned if the insulation gets wet, in the future.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Is this normal, typical, or even expected? Is there any
reason to put
insulation in an interior wall simply because there is a
shower stall on
the other side?

Nose reduction. Better contractors do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I replaced my bath tub, took out a plastic one with a huge
crack, and put in a metal one. On the exterior wall, of
course. I wish I'd put some fiberglass behind it. You can
learn from my mistake.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Zootal" wrote in message
. 97.131...
It also helps keep the shower wall from feeling ice-cold
when you
lean your bare butt against it. The first 30 seconds of
hot shower
water warms up the surface pretty well, and having
insulation behind
it keeps that heat from dissipating as fast. It makes a
real big
difference when you insulate around soaking tubs, as well.

--
aem sends...

I can *totally* relate to that :-0. That alone is a good
reason to put it
back when I'm done

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 8:55*pm, Zootal wrote:
The continuing saga of me and my broken plastic pipe and shower valve
lol...

So I am removing the sheetrock in pieces small enough that I can put them
back with minimal patchwork when I'm done - hopefully. As I open up the
wall behind the shower stall, I find that it is stuffed full of insulation. *
Is this normal, typical, or even expected? Is there any reason to put
insulation in an interior wall simply because there is a shower stall on
the other side?

When we remodeled my downstairs bath, we stuffed the interior walls,
mainly because we could. I can't say it has made any noticeable
difference though, the tiles are still very cold to the touch in the
winter months. Still it was worth a try. It probably does make it
easier for the ceiling mounted electric heater to warm it up for a
shower, but it is hard to say.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Zootal wrote:

Not sure - the other side of a wall is another bathroom, so sound
proofing might not be that critical.

Depends on the voice of the showering singer next door.

Maybe a question I should ask is: is there any reason to put the
insulation back when I'm done?

See answer #1

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I'd be concerned if the insulation gets wet, in the future.

--

If it gets wet, you have more problems that just insulation.