Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Magic Jack........again

A friend of mine said his dad just got Magic Jack.
Guess what? He is having the same problem with echo and unreliable
calls as everyone else has.

It would be nice if the thing worked. I could give up my house phone
if Magic Jack had a reliable answering service.

For the cheap price, missing an outgoing call is not bad, but I can't
have missing incoming calls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:27:57 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

A friend of mine said his dad just got Magic Jack.
Guess what? He is having the same problem with echo and unreliable
calls as everyone else has.

It would be nice if the thing worked. I could give up my house phone
if Magic Jack had a reliable answering service.

For the cheap price, missing an outgoing call is not bad, but I can't
have missing incoming calls.

All this time I thought the answering service was web based, The MJ
can break and you can still collect your incoming calls from the
web...?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
A friend of mine said his dad just got Magic Jack.
Guess what? He is having the same problem with echo and unreliable
calls as everyone else has.

It would be nice if the thing worked. I could give up my house phone
if Magic Jack had a reliable answering service.

For the cheap price, missing an outgoing call is not bad, but I can't
have missing incoming calls.

If you have a cell phone, just have Magic Jack forward to the cell phone so
you don't miss important calls. You'll be using cell minutes, but you don't
have to answer the call if Caller ID shows a non-important call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
A friend of mine said his dad just got Magic Jack.
Guess what? He is having the same problem with echo and unreliable
calls as everyone else has.

It would be nice if the thing worked. I could give up my house phone
if Magic Jack had a reliable answering service.

For the cheap price, missing an outgoing call is not bad, but I can't
have missing incoming calls.

The jury is still out on MJ at my house. I got one as a gift after my Skype
would not work at a remote cabin because of "latency", which is a delay that
is like talking to a schizophrenic.

So, we got the MJ, and tried it at the cabin. It does not get cell signals
in the canyon where it is, but it does have a satellite hookup.

We tried it, and it worked, but have not spent enough time there to really
get a line on if it works good, average, below average, or poorly.

If it works, for the price, it can't be beat. Some people who like to talk
a lot swear by it. Skype, too, particularly for international travelers
from obscure countries where phone service is a wire between two cow tails.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A friend of mine said his dad just got Magic Jack.
Guess what? He is having the same problem with echo and unreliable
calls as everyone else has.

It would be nice if the thing worked. I could give up my house phone
if Magic Jack had a reliable answering service.

For the cheap price, missing an outgoing call is not bad, but I can't
have missing incoming calls.

All this time I thought the answering service was web based, The MJ
can break and you can still collect your incoming calls from the
web...?

I don't know how it works, but I know you don't have to have your
computer on to receive incoming messages.

It was supposed to record messages and send a wav file to your email,
but I never could make out what the message was. It would have been a
perfect solution for me, had it worked.

I have a computer I leave on 24/7, but that was another problem for
some people.

Another catch I read about that I never tried was that faxing was a
problem for some. I do use faxes, but I have been able to email most
things that could be faxed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:56:48 -0600, "Steve N."
wrote:

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
.. .
A friend of mine said his dad just got Magic Jack.
Guess what? He is having the same problem with echo and unreliable
calls as everyone else has.

It would be nice if the thing worked. I could give up my house phone
if Magic Jack had a reliable answering service.

For the cheap price, missing an outgoing call is not bad, but I can't
have missing incoming calls.

If you have a cell phone, just have Magic Jack forward to the cell phone so
you don't miss important calls. You'll be using cell minutes, but you don't
have to answer the call if Caller ID shows a non-important call.

That may be a good solution now that I have a better cell phone
package.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RobertPatrick" wrote in message
Metspitzer wrote in
:

A friend of mine said his dad just got Magic Jack.
Guess what? He is having the same problem with echo and unreliable
calls as everyone else has.

It would be nice if the thing worked. I could give up my house phone
if Magic Jack had a reliable answering service.

For the cheap price, missing an outgoing call is not bad, but I can't
have missing incoming calls.

Same problem here. Plus they don't have a local area code available. Been
that way for over 1 year. The only thing I can use it for is accessing
my voicemail when I'm at work. (voicemail at a real phone).

Was using MJ for about a year then switched to Nettalk TK6000, it connects
to the ethernet port on the router and comes with a power pack ao you don't
have to have the PC on all the time but it can also be used with the usb
port when traveling if you dont have access to ethernet. It has the same
problems with area codes and it's awkward to get setup the web user
interface is a little messy but the quality seems better.

http://forum.nettalk.com/index.php

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A friend of mine said his dad just got Magic Jack.
Guess what? *He is having the same problem with echo and unreliable
calls as everyone else has.

It would be nice if the thing worked. *I could give up my house phone
if Magic Jack had a reliable answering service.

For the cheap price, missing an outgoing call is not bad, but I can't
have missing incoming calls.

MJ quality depends on your broadband connection and the state of your
PC. If your PC is sluggish from a lot of background tasks and
processes and you don't have at least 1.5 mbps DSL you can get
anomalies in the quality and function of MJ.

I have vonage it it is pretty reliable. It has a devicethat connects
directly to your ethernet so the computers don't matter. Seems to me
for not much more mj could sell a device with an ethernet connection
instead of a usb one. But they don't so far.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A friend of mine said his dad just got Magic Jack.
Guess what? He is having the same problem with echo and unreliable
calls as everyone else has.

It would be nice if the thing worked. I could give up my house phone
if Magic Jack had a reliable answering service.

For the cheap price, missing an outgoing call is not bad, but I can't
have missing incoming calls.

MJ quality depends on your broadband connection and the state of your
PC. If your PC is sluggish from a lot of background tasks and
processes and you don't have at least 1.5 mbps DSL you can get
anomalies in the quality and function of MJ.

I have vonage it it is pretty reliable. It has a devicethat connects
directly to your ethernet so the computers don't matter. Seems to me
for not much more mj could sell a device with an ethernet connection
instead of a usb one. But they don't so far.

They don't because from what I understand their business model was
supposed to be ad driven so the idea being you would need to watch an ad
before you could use it. The only way to do that is to require you to
use it with a computer. There isn't anything "magic" about magicjack.
They use a modified enough to require their proprietary software version
of SIP. Standard SIP is what other VoIP carriers use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 2:50*pm, wrote:
On Jan 26, 5:27*pm, Metspitzer wrote:

For the cheap price, missing an outgoing call is not bad, but I can't
have missing incoming calls.

For $19.95 a year, what do you expect?

I got my daughter and her friend each one for Xmas. Daughter's friend
had to move away and this has been a great way for them to stay in
contact and off of my phone.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

of SIP. Standard SIP is what other VoIP carriers use.- Hide quoted text -

How do you "watch" an ad before using your phone? Doesn't seem
practical. What would inbound callers get, a message saying please
wait while the party you are trying to reach goes to his computer and
watches an ad, haha.

Before you make a call. Thats the expensive part for the provider.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote the following:
A friend of mine said his dad just got Magic Jack.
Guess what? He is having the same problem with echo and unreliable
calls as everyone else has.

It would be nice if the thing worked. I could give up my house phone
if Magic Jack had a reliable answering service.

For the cheap price, missing an outgoing call is not bad, but I can't
have missing incoming calls.

I have a Magic Jack. I got it because my wife is on the house phone
almost all morning with relatives and friends, and my cell phone does
not work well in the basement where I have my office and computer. My
main use is to call my bank, credit card companies, and other businesses
for support or information.. I don't receive calls on it and no one
knows my MJ number.
So far, it works as well as a regular phone.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I hear in about 4 mo. MJ is supposed to come out with a unit that acts like
a mini cell tower for the home allowing free calls to an from cell phones in
the home for the same price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:32:18 -0500, "Questor" wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message
om...
[...]

That is one of the reasons I don't give up my home phone. I don't
want to have to carry my cell phone around the house to answer the
phone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 Jan 2010 03:25:21 GMT, RobertPatrick wrote:

Metspitzer wrote in
:

"willshak" wrote in message
news:S7WdnU_Ecv_Rcv3WnZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@supernews .com...
[...]

Belt clip.

I use a fanny pack to carry glasses, phone, pen and Ipod. I take it
off when I am at home.

I have reading glasses placed strategically all over the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RobertPatrick wrote:
Metspitzer wrote in
:

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:32:18 -0500, "Questor" wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Cordless/cell phones for home use are a solution in search of a problem.
I'll never give up my copper local loop. I don't wander around when I
talk. Real WE corded phones are getting hard to find, but I have enough
to last as long as I will. And they will always work, even if the power
is out for a week, the cell towers blow down, and the roof caves in.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
[...]

There is a device that allows that now. Not from MajicJack but it
works with the magic jack or a land-line and works with the
cell-phone. A friend had tried one out - not sure if he kept it, or
liked it long-term, but he was pretty excited when he got it on trial.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 22:57:50 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

RobertPatrick wrote:
Metspitzer wrote in
:

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:32:18 -0500, "Questor" wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
[...]

As long as the wires are not down.

In some areas the phones go down often, and sometimes for days on end,
due to ice storms. Then a cell phone is definitely handy.

I don't like having all my communications tied to one supplier, or one
technology.

I have my phone on copper from Bell Canada, and my internet on cable
from Rogers, along with my cell phone from Rogers. They want my home
phone business (on the cable), but I've told them numerous times-
"NEVER". Bell wants my internet business and they get the same answer.

Around here, anyway, the cable internet from Rogers is VERY
dependable, while ADSL from Bell is spotty. Bell's phone service is
virtually solid - while Rogers Home Phone has the VOIP type echo on
occaision.

And Rogers is the only major carrier in our area with GSM cell
coverage. - so Bell won't get that business from me either.

I have a MajicJack that I picked up figuring on using it for American
long distance calls - but then Rogers gave me a long distance plan I
couldn't turn down on my land-line. 5 cents a minute anywhere in North
America to a maximum of 5 bucks a month - and no minimum.

I've likely used the MJ about 10 times. It worked OK, but not
superfantastic. Thought I'd send it with my daughter if she went
overseas again so we could call her at an american phone number
anywhere she had high speed internet, and she could call anywhere in
Canada or the USA toll free from Kigali or Livingstone or where-ever.

She's still home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RobertPatrick wrote:
Metspitzer wrote in
:

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:32:18 -0500, "Questor" wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
[...]

May not work if he runs around the house nekid. *snicker*

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
A friend of mine said his dad just got Magic Jack.
Guess what? He is having the same problem with echo and unreliable
calls as everyone else has.

It would be nice if the thing worked. I could give up my house phone
if Magic Jack had a reliable answering service.

For the cheap price, missing an outgoing call is not bad, but I can't
have missing incoming calls.

OK guys, I was an early adopter of Magicjack which I obtained for one
reason, "privacy". I give the Magicjack number to anyone I feel who
may divulge my phone number to second parties. The Magicjack quit
working but it doesn't matter, the voice mail comes to my Email as
a WAV file and for $20.00 a year it can't be beat. If the message
is from someone I need to talk to, I can call them back. The Email
shows the time, date and number from which the call came. I give the
MJ number to hospitals, insurance companies and especially government
agencies that demand a phone number. I spent some time in the hospital
last year and I knew darn well that the quota hire morons would screw
up the billing some how or another. My MJ number was given to one of
the worst and nastiest collection agencies in the country which has an
automated system that was calling me several times every day. It's
very entertaining to listen to the dire threats from their agents. I
am never bothered by a ringing phone at all hours of the day and night
and the 15 bills that arrive from the collection agency every day make
for some pretty good insulation or kindling. I would recommend the MJ
for the reason I have it to anyone who wants to avoid telemarketers
who get your phone number from companies that demand a phone number for
things like warranty registration, surveys and such. For VOIP, I've
been using ViaTalk and it works quite well for me on a 10mb cable
Internet service. The VOIP adapter does not require a computer for it
to function.

http://www.viatalk.com/

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 6:53*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

Same here. I got a MagicJack as my back up to my main VoIP service at
Onesuite - http://www.onesuite.com

For $20 a year, you don't expect MJ to give you flawless service. Heck
even those $20/month VoIP service like from Vonage has tons of
problems too. The main point here is option. If you run into problems
with your main phone service then you have something to use for making
calls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 10:16*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:32:18 -0500, "Questor" wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message
om...
[...]

They make a device that works with your cell phone to connect it to
your house phone wiring. Its like a docking station for your cell
phone and you just plug it into an existing jack and you can answer
your cell from regular telephones in your house.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
On Jan 27, 10:16 pm, Metspitzer wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:32:18 -0500, "Questor" wrote:

snipped
That is one of the reasons I don't give up my home phone. I don't
want to have to carry my cell phone around the house to answer the
phone.

They make a device that works with your cell phone to connect it to
your house phone wiring. Its like a docking station for your cell
phone and you just plug it into an existing jack and you can answer
your cell from regular telephones in your house.

Jimmie

You havea URL for that gizmo?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 7:36*am, LouB wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
On Jan 27, 10:16 pm, Metspitzer wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:32:18 -0500, "Questor" wrote:

snipped
That is one of the reasons I don't give up my home phone. *I don't
want to have to carry my cell phone around the house to answer the
phone.

They make a device that works with your cell phone to connect it to
your house phone wiring. Its like a docking station for your cell
phone and you just plug it into an existing jack and you can answer
your cell from regular telephones in your house.

Jimmie

You havea URL for that gizmo?

Not right off, I found out about it on this newsgroup. I was going to
get one but never did.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 1:39*pm, JIMMIE wrote:
On Feb 9, 7:36*am, LouB wrote:

JIMMIE wrote:
On Jan 27, 10:16 pm, Metspitzer wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:32:18 -0500, "Questor" wrote:

snipped
That is one of the reasons I don't give up my home phone. *I don't
want to have to carry my cell phone around the house to answer the
phone.

They make a device that works with your cell phone to connect it to
your house phone wiring. Its like a docking station for your cell
phone and you just plug it into an existing jack and you can answer
your cell from regular telephones in your house.

Jimmie

You havea URL for that gizmo?

Not right off, I found out about it on this newsgroup. I was going to
get one but never did.

Jimmie

Its called a cellphone docking station. google will get you there.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:

You havea URL for that gizmo?

Not right off, I found out about it on this newsgroup. I was going to
get one but never did.

The article is somewhat dated, but should give you a start:
http://solution.allthingsd.com/20060...ellphone-home/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Neville wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:

You havea URL for that gizmo?

Not right off, I found out about it on this newsgroup. I was going to
get one but never did.

The article is somewhat dated, but should give you a start:
http://solution.allthingsd.com/20060...ellphone-home/

Thanks. That story led me to: http://www.phonelabs.com/index.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 07:36:18 -0500, LouB wrote:

JIMMIE wrote:
On Jan 27, 10:16 pm, Metspitzer wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:32:18 -0500, "Questor" wrote:

snipped
That is one of the reasons I don't give up my home phone. I don't
want to have to carry my cell phone around the house to answer the
phone.

They make a device that works with your cell phone to connect it to
your house phone wiring. Its like a docking station for your cell
phone and you just plug it into an existing jack and you can answer
your cell from regular telephones in your house.

Jimmie

You havea URL for that gizmo?

Here's one that uses Bluetooth and allows up to 3 cell phones:
http://www.amazon.com/XLink-BTTN-Cel...62187&sr =1-1
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
On Jan 27, 10:16 pm, Metspitzer wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:32:18 -0500, "Questor" wrote:

snipped
That is one of the reasons I don't give up my home phone. I don't
want to have to carry my cell phone around the house to answer the
phone.
They make a device that works with your cell phone to connect it to
your house phone wiring. Its like a docking station for your cell
phone and you just plug it into an existing jack and you can answer
your cell from regular telephones in your house.

Jimmie

You havea URL for that gizmo?

Here's one that uses Bluetooth and allows up to 3 cell phones:
http://www.amazon.com/XLink-BTTN-Cel...62187&sr =1-1

Thx

Magic Jack and a power hub metspitzer Home Repair 66 August 21st 08 02:16 PM
Magic Jack update metspitzer Home Repair 3 August 2nd 08 07:33 PM
Magic Jack metspitzer Home Repair 16 July 29th 08 08:59 PM
Magic Jack news anyone? John Jones Home Repair 11 May 31st 08 02:12 PM
Magic Jack metspitzer Home Repair 25 May 31st 08 08:48 AM