Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fluorescent light fixture problem

Hi all:

One of my 2-tube Fluorescent light fixtures in my 2-fixture kitchen
light box went South, so I trotted down to HD for a replacement.
Purchased what I thought was the same brand and same model (Lithonia
Lighting 48" 2-tube) and installed it in place of the old one. Only
after installing the tubes did it become clear that it's *not* exactly
the same as the old fixture (and the other fixture in the light box)
in that it drops the tube about 1/4" lower. That shouldn't be a big
deal, but it is, because of the tight dimensions between the cross
members of the light box and the tubes: there's just not enough room
to drop a tube out of the fixture if it needs replacement.

I'll probably have to cobble up some sort of "spacer frame" to go
between the Oak light box and the kitchen ceiling in order to get the
clearance I need, unless somebody can suggest something else. The
extra drop comes from the light sockets themselves, but I don't think
there's any way to wire the old sockets into the new fixture.

Tom Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 9, 6:13*pm, TomYoung wrote:
[...]

Transfer all the ballast and wiring of the new fixture into the old
fixture. There aren't more than 6 wires involved. THe wires into the
light sockets are probably pressed into the sockets, a little
investigation should solve all your problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

TomYoung wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Fixture is repairable. Ballast or socket or wiring what else can go wrong?